cheapest way to travel around phuket?

Howitzer

You need an international drivers license (if you are stopped)

There is a songteaw system between certain points, in the daytime. (truck with 2 bench seats in the back that hold from 8-20 people depending on size)
If you are in Phuket town, go to the traffic circle near old town that has the smaller water fountain (near the market area) and that's where they base out of.
Ask around for schedules and where they go.
They go to some of the beaches, are a bit slow, but many people use them.
There is a bus system too, but I don't know much about it.

Would help if you describe where you are and where you want to go.

You need an international drivers license (if you are stopped)

no such thing it is a international driving PERMIT and only valid with your home country licnse

a license from your own country is fine if your staying less thna 90 days

rent a motorcycle for 200 baht/day an drive very carefully.

Bus system only ruins from the beaches to phuket town ( they leave from the market) , not around the island

Edited by phuketrichard

Bike, but I guess prices will vary depending on where you are. When my motorcycle was in the shop last, the lady at Chalong circle rented one to me for 150. That was with some haggling and me walking off at 180...."ok.,ok., 150".

Also, she said no to the copy of the passport, did have to leave the passport. I guess a lot of disappearing bikes these days.

Bike, but I guess prices will vary depending on where you are. When my motorcycle was in the shop last, the lady at Chalong circle rented one to me for 150. That was with some haggling and me walking off at 180...."ok.,ok., 150".

Also, she said no to the copy of the passport, did have to leave the passport. I guess a lot of disappearing bikes these days.

Interesting. I know it is illegal to leave your passport as it actually the property of your countries' government. But we've both seen it done many times over the past 10 plus years we've been here...