Health insurance or other non-wasteful ways of dealing with hospitals

bakso

I don't have health insurance from my country (there are just no options for citizens actually living abroad) and now I'm here with just 30 days tourist visa. I had plans about enrolling in some university program but none of those could come true before I take care of some health issues.

So the question is if there are any health insurance plans for tourists/foreigners or any decent hospitals where you can have some contract for a certain period to visit as much doctors and make as much tests as you need within the time you already paid for.

I stay in Salaya, close to Mahidol University so traveling back and forth to Bangkok doesn't seem to be a big deal if there are necessary solutions to be found there.

No, there are no plans like that.

If you enroll at Mahidol, you will have free coverage at Siriraj and the nearby Golden Jubilee Medical Center.

Other option is to get travel insurance, there are ones you can get even after having left home, BUT they will not cover any pre-existing problems. No insurance will do that. So whatever the medical problems are that you already have, you are going to have to pay for care out of pocket. Government facilities are pretty reasonably priced though.

In your area, I'd start with Golden Jubilee. It's right there and usually not too badly crowded. If you problem is too complex for them to handle they will refer you elsewhere in which case Siriraj is next best bet, though very crowded. Need to get there really early in the morning.

For travel insurance, world nomads is good and can buy it online, but (1) have to pay first and get reimbursed in most cases and (2) absolutely will not cover any pre-existing conditions. http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/

Thanks for the answer!

For what I get about most of travel insurances - that you are supposed to spend at least some time in the country of your official permanent residence to claim the refund. But that's not in my plans.

May be World Nomads works in some other way - I should check that out.

Anyways it's always the matter of the discussion - what is covered and what's not. So I kind of hoped that some hospitals may have packages allowing to use their various services within a chosen period of time.

As for Golden Jubilee I've already been there and got an idea of how much MRI (that I probably need) costs. Which made me seek for some answers.

Sorry, short-term insurance deosn't see to be available in Thailand. If you plan to remain in Thailand for a year or more, there are various plans available. No decent ones for folks over 65 though. In that case, you have to self-insure. Check out Sheryl's suggestions but be aware that if you don't want long waits and go to a private hospital, you will pay through the nose. Bumrungrad has been constantly raising its rates and and some friends have switched to St. Louis Hospital for its more reasonable rates but they will be far higher than at Siriraj. Good luck. You don't mention your age but I get the impression that you are fairly young. That's good for purchasing insurance.