Mosquitos

Sammy

Not getting bitten too much is the best solution. In most places there is no malaria. Near the border areas with say Myanmar inthe north west there could be malaria. I worked in that area (in the jungles on and off) for a few years and did not take any medications. Actually all my time in Asia I have never taken medications.

So just take precautions against bites and u should be right. Certain times of day are worse for mosquitoes...like dusk and dawn. generallin the day time they like to hang out in dark places.......every morning when I go outside to put my shoes on to go to work , I have to sacre all the mosquitoes out of the shoes before I put them on.......maybe 50 or so in each shoe !! So be careful during the day even of where you sit as they will lurk under tables etc.

A mate of mine recently bought one of those propane powered machines that mimic a mammas breath to attract and catch mozzies.

Prior to getting the machine it was impossible to sit in the garden after dark.

For the first 2 weeks every morning the bag was full of mozzies that had been caught.

Now that the breeding cycle has been stopped, it catches about 2 or 3 each night that just happen to move into his garden.

Last weekend we sat outside well into the night just wearing shorts and short sleeves.

The machines are fantastic.

How do you long term expats deal with the Mosquito bite/Malaria problem? First posting. Any help appreciated.    Sammy

Easy. Get a "hot" girl next to you.

Mosquitos have very poor eyesight but can see in the infrared spectrum, i.e. heat generated by the bodies.

The hotter you are, the more mosquitos you will attract.

But I guess, most of the time, in this country, we are hotter than the girls.

No solution besides the cold shower,... :o:D