Northern Thai mountains packed with tourists viewing frost

webfact

Mountain peak destinations in North packed with tourists curious to experience flower frosts

77-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As temperatures in the country's northern and northeastern regions are going to drop further as a new round of cold spell from China is expected to arrive and blankets the regions, weekend travellers to mountain peak destinations are expected to rise in anticipating of experiencing the flower frosts.

Famous mountain peaks most popular to experience the natural beauty of flower frosts on grasses and tree leaves and sea of mountain fog include Doi Inthanon and Doi Angkhang in Chiang Mai.

But park officials cautioned drivers to drive carefully on mountain roads as visibility is poor due to the heavy fog, with some locations it could be visible only less than 10 metres.

Park officials said large number of tourists continued to visit Doi Inthanon National Park in Chiang Mai province to enjoy the cold weather, as the temperature measured above the grass has reached as low as minus 2 degrees Celsius.

The freezing temperatures has caused frosts over the entire ground of the park, exciting and bringing extreme pleasure to visitors and tourists who have braved the cold to experience nature’s beauty.

The Northern Region Meteorological Centre has reported that the region would remain to see thick sea fogs and cold weather until the end of the week.

Meanwhile Doi Angkhang mountain in Fang district of Chiang Mai is also seeing similar picturesque scene, as frosts were seen covering all over the areas at park office, grounds, roofs, and car windshields, as the temperature has dropped by another 3-4 degrees Celsius.

Phu Hin Rongkhla national park in Phitsanulok province is also another popular hilltop destination to experience the sea of fog and winter flowers.

Tourists were ecstatic at the cold weather and enjoying frosts on the grounds and tress, as temperatures in some areas were measured below 10 degrees Celsius.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mountain-peak-destinations-in-north-packed-with-tourists-curious-to-experience-flower-frosts

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-08

I am glad to see that some people can be entertained so easily as this is a regular occuring thing. I wonder if the same people travel to see high and / or low tide? Sunrise and sunset must be another special event for them.

Looking at photos of several of these destinations after the fact, it appears people go there to dump their garbage as much as to see mother nature in her unspoiled beauty.

I am glad to see that some people can be entertained so easily as this is a regular occuring thing. I wonder if the same people travel to see high and / or low tide? Sunrise and sunset must be another special event for them.

Looking at photos of several of these destinations after the fact, it appears people go there to dump their garbage as much as to see mother nature in her unspoiled beauty.

For those who have not experienced a frost before it is indeed a wondrous event. There are people who have not seen rainbows or experienced the joys of a sunrise or sundown under a pristine sky. If you lived in a desert, would you not be fascinated by a flash flood? There are people all over the world who celebrate and revel in new or rare experiences such as hailstorms or snow squalls in the summer. Good on them for enjoying life.

I have only seen the sun set into the ocean once or twice in my life. It is a special event for me.

For those who have not experienced a frost before it is indeed a wondrous event. There are people who have not seen rainbows or experienced the joys of a sunrise or sundown under a pristine sky. If you lived in a desert, would you not be fascinated by a flash flood? There are people all over the world who celebrate and revel in new or rare experiences such as hailstorms or snow squalls in the summer. Good on them for enjoying life.

yep your so right as most Thais have never seen frost there just enjoying themselves

I once worked with a guy from the UAE.

He went to college in the the UK and LOVED the weather there, especially the rain.

its a bit like millions of Americans running to Tenessee to watch the leaves turn yellow every year.

I'm from Florida and found myself on a business trip to Philadelphia in the fall once. The trees were stunningly beautiful!

I was also in Iwakuni, Japan in March one year. The cherry blossoms were quite a sight.

It's 4:30am, the Lisu people are leaving their window- and floorless homes after a freezing cold night under extra blankets. Nearby the death-scream of the unlucky black pig chosen to be the breakfast, lunch and diner for today. The colder the morning the more damp coming from the pans with boiling water. Few chicken, roosters and more lucky pigs enter the house to stay warm and curious for snacks. Outside the home the wooden pig tubs are being filled with porrige. Most men and women prepare for a long walk to the fields for another day of hard work.

It's 4:30am, the Lisu people are leaving their window- and floorless homes after a freezing cold night under extra blankets. Nearby the death-scream of the unlucky black pig chosen to be the breakfast, lunch and diner for today. The colder the morning the more damp coming from the pans with boiling water. Few chicken, roosters and more lucky pigs enter the house to stay warm and curious for snacks. Outside the home the wooden pig tubs are being filled with porrige. Most men and women prepare for a long walk to the fields for another day of hard work.

Some pictures to go with your post.

post-221427-14523450028167_thumb.jpg

post-221427-14523450193443_thumb.jpg

post-221427-14523450341853_thumb.jpg

I came here to escape the stuff although I do appreciate its beauty. Gets a bit wearing seeing everything in black and white, eventually grey, after a month or two.

You escape the stuff to be at a place the Thais are escaping from, to be where you were...?

I came here to escape the stuff although I do appreciate its beauty. Gets a bit wearing seeing everything in black and white, eventually grey, after a month or two.

You escape the stuff to be at a place the Thais are escaping from, to be where you were...?

...but you always wake up with yourself. smile.png

Some pictures to go with your post.

My wife's parents are in their 60's and have slept on a floor all their lives.

I wound up with an extra queen sized bed once and my wife gave it to them. They say it hurts their backs, so they sleep on the floor next to it.

We enclosed the bottom half of their Isaan house and installed indoor plumbing with a western toilet and a hot water shower, with a well and pump outside.

Mom still uses the squat toilet in the outhouse, and they keep a plastic trash can full of water to do the cold water splash shower thing.

Nice big dining table in the new kitchen - they sit on the floor next to it to eat.

Small 2 burner gas stove installed - they prefer to cook on the charcoal clay pots outside (can't really argue there).

Big wooden setee in the living room - they sit on the floor next to it.

Refrigerator. Contains nothing and is only ever plugged in when I visit.

Mom likes her electric clothes washer though.

----------------

I was there (Surin) a few years ago and it dropped to about 50F. I was FREEZING!

Dad came out early in the morning to go stake his cows out for grazing, wearing a 1970's era US Army field jacket, shorts and flip flops. clap2.gifclap2.gif

----------------

Some folks are just set in their ways. Who are we to judge?

Edited by jaywalker

JAYWALKER

Love it, hope it stays that way for a long time yet.

Yeah those clay pot grills cook some mean groceries!

I'll never forget the time Dad cooked some rice field rats (with the head on) on those clay pots.......I stuck with eating fish that night.

I have some fond memories of the farm and hanging out with the locals.

Mom's best friend is a hoot! She can't speak a word of English, cannot stop talking to me, is about a hundred years older than dirt, and has taught me about 90% of the Thai I know.

As for the rest of it...Up to them how they live.

None of the new amenities were my idea BTW. The wife was behind it all.

------------

Wife's great-aunt is hilarious! About 95, hunch-backed and friendly as hell.

She stopped by one day, had a couple straight double shots of Johnny Walker, grinned real big and climbed in her hammock.

I said "DAMN! Go girl!"