Family of Chinese woman who died snorkelling off Phuket receives B2.6mn in compensation

webfact

Family of Chinese woman who died snorkelling off Phuket receives B2.6mn in compensation
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1452232926_1-org.jpg
Zhang Lin died during a dive tour from Khao Lak with her friends on Nov 27. Photo: Similan Seven Sea Club / Facebook

PHUKET: -- The family of a young Chinese tourist who died during a snorkelling trip off Koh Khai island in Phang Nga Bay on Nov 27 have received a total of B2.6 million in compensation The Phuket News has learned.

Director of the Ministry of Tourism Phuket office, Santi Pawai told The Phuket News yesterday (Jan 7), “Her family received B1 million compensation from Phuket William Diving and an additional B1.6 million from her insurers in China.”

The body of 23-year-old Zhang Lin, 23, was found alone at a depth of 11 metres by a group of divers from Khao Lak Scuba Adventures fnear Koh Bon, off Kuraburi in Phang Nga, at about 2:30pm on Nov 27.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/family-of-chinese-woman-who-died-snorkelling-off-phuket-receives-b2-6mn-in-compensation-55712.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-08

So the Thai "price" of a young woman's life is approx £20,000! Disgraceful !

Are the people/company responsible for this ladies death to be prosecuted ?

Will the dive "industry" be better policed and will safety standards be enforced ?

story should read ' she received only 1 million baht compensation from the Phuket dive shop. '

The other 1.6 mill has nothing to do with Thailand, so don't add it on to make the figure look better !!! blink.png

I quote you a million times... well said!

Will the dive "industry" be better policed and will safety standards be enforced ?

Only if the woman is Chinese.

Otherwise 0 (zero)

What is disgraceful and ridiculous are remarks like yours. This is nothing to do with "the price of a life", it's about compensation that a dive company (or it's insurer) and the woman's insurer paid to the her family.

Who are the people that you suggest are responsible for her death? Maybe she was responsible for her own death, who knows? You certainly don't.

Reminds me of the soulless, abhorrent display when "authorities" paid off a chinese family with 2.5 million for the negligence of a zip line operator.

And as always this is foremost in their minds:

"Kobkarn said the ministry would soon launch safety measures for such activities, but she believed the incident wouldn't affect the country's tourism."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Chinese-woman-dies-in-zip-line-accident-in-Chiang--30270821.html

post-206952-0-87976200-1452241544_thumb.

Edited by iReason

It seems the whole headline is incorrect ...the woman was on live-aboard dive trip ...she was NOT snorkeling, she was diving ...and from what facts I can gather it seems the boat hit her in the head with something while she was underwater, and then left her there.

The families of the deceased westerners of The Tiger Disco fire were give 1 million baht compensation.

It appears the Chinese market is now more important to hold onto than the western market is on Phuket, hence, 2.6 million compensation.

are you dumb ... as I quoted , it is 1 million only .... not 2.6 million.

The families of the deceased westerners of The Tiger Disco fire were give 1 million baht compensation.

It appears the Chinese market is now more important to hold onto than the western market is on Phuket, hence, 2.6 million compensation.

Are you dumb, or just have no concept of sarcasm????

Basically, the Thai's don't care about anyone.

Get it now????

I have no idea what relevance her insurance in China has on the compensation offer made in Thailand.

Edited by NamKangMan

Get it now????

I have no idea what relevance her insurance in China has on the compensation offer made in Thailand.

my apologize NamKangMan, you were only quoting the original news release and not your wording.

sorry, I must read better and understand you comment better. pls accept my sincere apology for this.

Get it now????

my apologize NamKangMan, you were only quoting the original news release and not your wording.

sorry, I must read better and understand you comment better. pls accept my sincere apology for this.

Well, I detect a hint if sarcasm from you as well. Fair play.

Bottom line is, a tourist's life is worth 1 million baht to accept the negligence, the lack of safety standards, the cover-ups and corruption, the lack of enforcement, and a disgraceful attempt to minimize bad publicity.

Phuket - truly a world class holiday destination.

When will they learn that for a little more expense, they could make so much more profit.

What is disgraceful and ridiculous are remarks like yours. This is nothing to do with "the price of a life", it's about compensation that a dive company (or it's insurer) and the woman's insurer paid to the her family.

Who are the people that you suggest are responsible for her death? Maybe she was responsible for her own death, who knows? You certainly don't.

what a load of BS listen in Thailand whether is ther fault or ur own they don't give a dam or do not want to pay out if it was here in the uk it would be millions and so it Should be for anybody that has a death caused by an fault of the Thais so wake up will you ?

if someone died in the states due to a companies negligence, you would be looking at least one million US dollars as compensation.

sometimes far, far more. how much money would this woman earn for her family over the course of her live time?

and her families never ending grief.

nice to know I am not even worth the cost of a Toyota pick-up truck in Thailand. Maybe a Isuzu. blink.png

More than the round the world cyclists got! Mind you they were not Chinese?

Now we're going to see comparisons on compensations based on race and nationality and how some butt hurt farang is going to complain all because of another incident where a farang got less in which he wouldn't be complaining if the farang got more because i suppose even today a farang's life is worth more than an asian's especially a chinese.

Yes, read on.