UK passport holder and non EU partner moving to Ireland?

Hi there,

I'm a British citizen living and working in Koh Samui for nearly 3 years.

But right now me and my partner are thinking moving to Ireland (Ireland because my mother and my sister live and work there).

We would like my partner to be able to work and live together with me in Ireland.

The only thing is that currently we are not married. Which brings me to my first question;

Do you think it will be better for us to get married in Thailand or in Ireland? Which of these will make the visa process easier?

Thanks in advance

Get married in Thailand, as the visa for Ireland could be an issue as you are not a resident of Ireland so she cannot get a Fiancee Visa.

If you are married in Thailand you apply for a visa for her for Ireland and it is free as you are an EU National.

• Like 1

you do not apply for settlement you apply for a Residence Permit based on being married to a EU National, settlement is for those people who are married to actual citizens of the country there are in. She will get an ID card.

Get married in Thailand

You can get the 3 month Irish C visa and it's free

Once in Ireland you can apply for the Irish RC (Residency Card) under your Treaty Rights by filling in the EU1 form again this is all free.

After a month or two your Thai wife will get the Stamp 4 which is for 6 months while they process the EU1 application for the RC.

Then finally she'll get an Irish RC for 5 years.

Also as it is right now with the UK still in the EU under article 10 she would be allowed to enter into the UK with the Irish RC as long as she can show that she is married to you, so just the marriage cert and the RC without any visa for the UK