Tourist visa extension fail. What are my options now?

Today was the last day I could apply for an extension as my visa expires this Sunday. (Unless there is an immigration office open on the weekend, if so please tell me!) Unfortunately, I didn't arrive at the Chonburi office until very late. The lady at the reception insisted I'd need some documentary proof of the address I was staying at. It was far too late to taxi it back to my apartment to obtain this, so she suggested I pop into an internet cafe "just around the corner" and print out the address off the internet. I rushed outside to this supposed internet cafe but it was nowhere to be found. By that time it was very nearly 4:30 and having had extreme insomnia all week I was in a foul mood and didn't wish to walk back into the office and mount an argument. My fault for leaving it all so late, of course.

The question is what can I do now?

Are border runs still an option? Last time I was here, some seven years ago, this was my preferred option, but I've learnt that things are no longer quite so straightforward.

What about an overnight stay in Laos then? Are there any known issues with obtaining a visa from Vientiane?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You can go on Monday and apply again. Since your permit to stay ended on a day immigration is closed you will not be charged for a overstay. After Monday you will be fined 500 baht a day.

That's fantastic news. Unfortunately, I had only assumed my 60 days end on Sunday. But I just counted, and it seems my 60 days expire today -- I entered November 10, just before the stroke of midnight, how's that for rotten luck.

Do you mean that I could still apply for an extension some days after my permit expires so long as I pay the overstay fine? I had not expected that to be the case, which is why I looked into other options. So if I go Monday I'd have to pay 500baht x 3 days = 1500baht fine and I could still get an extension?

Stoneyboy,

30 days.

Edited by Verlis

You can go on Monday and apply again. Since your permit to stay ended on a day immigration is closed you will not be charged for a overstay. After Monday you will be fined 500 baht a day.

That's fantastic news. Unfortunately, I had only assumed my 60 days end on Sunday. But I just counted, and it seems my 60 days expire today -- I entered November 10, just before the stroke of midnight, how's that for rotten luck.

Do you mean that I could still apply for an extension some days after my permit expires so long as I pay the overstay fine? I had not expected that to be the case, which is why I looked into other options. So if I go Monday I'd have to pay 500baht x 3 days = 1500baht fine and I could still get an extension?

Stoneyboy,

30 days.

You have a stamp in your passport that has your admitted until date on it.

If you go on Monday you will be fined 1500 baht.

If you make a border hop tomorrow you will fined 500 baht,

There a companies making the runs from Pattaya to Ban Packard at the Cambodia border where you would get a 15 day entry unless you are from a G7 country which get a 30 day entry. Both can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

Thank you for this information, ubonjoe. I would just like to clarify, do you mean if I go to the immigration office to get an extension on Monday I will be fined 1500 baht but I'll still be able to get the extension? If so, this would seem like the better deal, because 1500 + 1900 = 3400, whereas a border run, say, 1800 baht + 500 baht fine + visa extension 1900 = 4200.

Thank you for this information, ubonjoe. I would just like to clarify, do you mean if I go to the immigration office to get an extension on Monday I will be fined 1500 baht but I'll still be able to get the extension? If so, this would seem like the better deal, because 1500 + 1900 = 3400, whereas a border run, say, 1800 baht + 500 baht fine + visa extension 1900 = 4200.

They should do the extension without a problem after you pay the overstay fine.

I think the transport for the visa run and a Cambodia visa on arrival ($30) will be more than 1800 baht. From Bangkok it is 2400 baht.

Getting the extension of the entry would be optional. But with the entry and it you would get 45 or 60 days total.