Every Picture Tells a Story #1

Inspire

LIFESTYLE

Every Picture Tells a Story #1

blog-1.jpg

Welcome to “Every Picture Tells a Story”; a weekly post about living in Thailand. Each week we’ll post a picture that illustrates some of the little things those of us fortunate enough to live here hold dear.

Holiday Helpers
Just like in my home country, many important Thai holidays fall late in the calendar year. Starting with the vegetarian festival in October, Loy Khratong in November and of course, the King’s birthday in December.

Living so far away from home, many expatriates have severe bouts with melancholy and depression this time of year. We miss our families and friends. We long for grandma’s home cooking. We wouldn’t mind some weather that featured a daily temperature under 25 degrees.

We are very fortunate to have the Thai people as our hosts. They try their best to understand our holidays and accommodate us by imitating rituals that must seem bizarre, even to Thai people.

Perhaps the most entertaining foreign holiday celebrated with gusto in Thailand is Halloween. This year I attended a Halloween party at my local pub. The bar was expertly decorated with ghosts, witches and jack-o-lanterns.

Costumes fell into three categories: zombies … vampire zombies … vampire zombies with light-up horns. The light-up horns seem to be popular on all foreign holidays, including Christmas. When I asked the bartender what she was dressed as she replied, “I don’t know … but scary”.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/every-picture-tells-story-1/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-01-09