Will self driving cars ever take off in Thailand?

Jingthing

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not even addressing the fleet model which most likely be involved in the mass wave adoption of this in some countries. With fleets, you do not buy a car.

I've addressed it several times and you have refused to address my responses.

Why refuse to actually discuss it?

How do you see the fleets working?

I don't see fleets working here in a country with a government that can't even accept Uber ...

I don't doubt that, my question is how will the work anywhere?

People getting free, anonymous rides wherever they want to go, and whenever they want to leave?

I know, that all needs to be worked out, that and the liability...

The manufacturers can not even get the systems in place to work they way they should.

Case in point - friend bought a 2017 Peterbilt tractor. Came with all the usual electronics package - lane warning, auto braking, all that garbage.

He was coming up to a red light, he had his foot on the brake pedal applying the brakes to slow down. A car veered into his lane, the truck electronics ignored the fact that he had the brakes applied, took over, slammed on the brakes, and the wheels locked up and the trailer started to jackknife.

Imagine you are on an icy road and this happened - you would be in the wrong lane, or in the ditch. And they call this progress !!!

On 5/21/2017 at 5:32 PM, Dagnabbit said:

If there is nobody behind me, I dont stop. It would be pointless 'cause they could cross the moment I passed.

I will only stop if there are cars behind me. I do it every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, and you have no accidents? No close calls? 

Most people I talked with agrees that what you're doing is extremely dangerous.

Do you drive really slowly long before the pedestrian crossing so that people behind you have time to adjust and will have time to break? Or how?

Have you noticed any funny reactions behind you?

3 hours ago, hobz said:

Wow, and you have no accidents? No close calls? 

Most people I talked with agrees that what you're doing is extremely dangerous.

Do you drive really slowly long before the pedestrian crossing so that people behind you have time to adjust and will have time to break? Or how?

Have you noticed any funny reactions behind you?

Nope - no problems at all. 

Are you asking me if I speed up to a pedestrian crossing and then slam the brakes on at the last minute? Of course not ;-)

I just stop normally, just like I'd do in any other country. If I see pedestrians waiting I stop. Simple. 20 years of driving here and never been rear ended at a pedestrian crossing. 

It's not as if pedestrian crossings are on roads with 150km/h speed limits, I do have brake lights and the traffic here is hardly conducive to whizzing around everywhere.

You and your friends are just giving yourselves an excuse to NOT stop. It is not  dangerous to stop at a crossing - it''s dangerous to not stop. You risk hitting a pedestrian by flying over a crossing. I've seen it a lot - I stop in the left lane, people start to cross and then some a-hole whizzes across on the right lane, almost hitting them.

On 5/23/2017 at 0:20 PM, Dagnabbit said:

Nope - no problems at all. 

Are you asking me if I speed up to a pedestrian crossing and then slam the brakes on at the last minute? Of course not ;-)

I just stop normally, just like I'd do in any other country. If I see pedestrians waiting I stop. Simple. 20 years of driving here and never been rear ended at a pedestrian crossing. 

It's not as if pedestrian crossings are on roads with 150km/h speed limits, I do have brake lights and the traffic here is hardly conducive to whizzing around everywhere.

You and your friends are just giving yourselves an excuse to NOT stop. It is not  dangerous to stop at a crossing - it''s dangerous to not stop. You risk hitting a pedestrian by flying over a crossing. I've seen it a lot - I stop in the left lane, people start to cross and then some a-hole whizzes across on the right lane, almost hitting them.

No that's the thing, i have stopped like 20 times, and I've been involved in 2 accidents. The first time I was not hit, but two vehicles behind me collided when i stopped. Obviously because of me.

The second time was recently and I was driving around 30-40km/h and stopped. Motorbike behind me hit me.

And other times when no accidents happened it was close sometimes and sometimes they honked their horns behind me etc. 

So you have to be: 

1. the luckiest man alive.

2. doing something differently, (this is why i'm asking you)

3. Lying to me.

*edit* Also every single person that I spoke with in real life thinks it's insanely dangerous to stop, including my driving teacher who was in all other ways very serious about safety. He was visibly upset when i stopped at a stop sign and had a talk with me about how dangerous that is in thailand. Anyway, I bet you're lying at this point. Your story makes no sense at all. No way you stop every time and never had any reaction behind you, that's just impossible here in Thailand. 

Edited by hobz

No that's the thing, i have stopped like 20 times, and I've been involved in 2 accidents. The first time I was not hit, but two vehicles behind me collided when i stopped. Obviously because of me.

The second time was recently and I was driving around 30-40km/h and stopped. Motorbike behind me hit me.

And other times when no accidents happened it was close sometimes and sometimes they honked their horns behind me etc. 

So you have to be: 
3. Lying to me.

*edit* Also every single person that I spoke with in real life thinks it's insanely dangerous to stop, including my driving teacher who was in all other ways very serious about safety. He was visibly upset when i stopped at a stop sign and had a talk with me about how dangerous that is in thailand. Anyway, I bet you're lying at this point. Your story makes no sense at all. No way you stop every time and never had any reaction behind you, that's just impossible here in Thailand. 

You had a driving teacher in Thailand? Do you not have a license from your home country? If so, what did you learn, aside from not to stop at stop signs?

So this topic comes up with every single person you spoke with in real life?

I often stop for pedestrians, and it has never caused a problem.

11 minutes ago, mogandave said:

You had a driving teacher in Thailand? Do you not have a license from your home country? If so, what did you learn, aside from not to stop at stop signs?

So this topic comes up with every single person you spoke with in real life?

I often stop for pedestrians, and it has never caused a problem.

Are you also seriously blind to the danger? Or just trolling?

Are you also seriously blind to the danger? Or just trolling?

What is the danger? You think people here do not understand what brake lights are?

Again, I'v been driving here for 16 years and stopped thousands of times without being involved in or causing an accident. You stop twenty times and cause two accidents, yet you lecture me on driver safety.

Hilarious.

11 minutes ago, mogandave said:

What is the danger? You think people here do not understand what brake lights are?

Again, I'v been driving here for 16 years and stopped thousands of times without being involved in or causing an accident. You stop twenty times and cause two accidents, yet you lecture me on driver safety.

Hilarious.

Ok, trolling, gotcha.

Ok, trolling, gotcha.

Why is it whenever guys make foolish comments and have no real response when they get called on it they play the "troll" card?

Would a self driving not have to have a sensor to determine how close car was following.

Why is it busses and taxis are not constantly being rear-ended? Do you really believe Thais are too stupid to stop when the vehicle in front of them stops?

The topic is whether self driving cars will ever come to Thailand. I am not a proponent of self driving cars, But again, I submit that if they truly work in the US, there is no reason they would not work here.

22 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Why is it whenever guys make foolish comments and have no real response when they get called on it they play the "troll" card?

Would a self driving not have to have a sensor to determine how close car was following.

Why is it busses and taxis are not constantly being rear-ended? Do you really believe Thais are too stupid to stop when the vehicle in front of them stops?

The topic is whether self driving cars will ever come to Thailand. I am not a proponent of self driving cars, But again, I submit that if they truly work in the US, there is no reason they would not work here.

If not trolling lets just agree to disagree. I believe i have stated my reasoning enough.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

You raised a good question about buses and taxis.

In chiang mai everyone is aware about the red cars making sudden stops. 

This means that if thai people learn to recognize the self driven cars they would learn that they will do silly (in thai eyes) stops for pedestrians and stop signs etc.

On 5/25/2017 at 8:18 AM, hobz said:

You raised a good question about buses and taxis.

In chiang mai everyone is aware about the red cars making sudden stops. 

This means that if thai people learn to recognize the self driven cars they would learn that they will do silly (in thai eyes) stops for pedestrians and stop signs etc.

Self driving cars are looking in all directions at the same time, and might steer the car in the ditch rather than just breaking to avoid and accident both from the front and rear at the same time. 

So you have to be: 
3. Lying to me.

I stopped 3 times today to let people cross. 2 on Thong Lo, 1 on Sukhumvit.

No problems.

I also stop at u-turns and right turns. I slow down a lot for a left turn too.

All without problems.

I think in your case, you should consider the common denominator...

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

I stopped 3 times today to let people cross. 2 on Thong Lo, 1 on Sukhumvit.

No problems.

I also stop at u-turns and right turns. I slow down a lot for a left turn too.

All without problems.

I think in your case, you should consider the common denominator...

Done and considered. 

Both accidents were on roads were people drive fast even though there are unmarked pedestrian crossings. Hang dong road and huaw kaew road.

The first accident i didnt even get hit. But two motorbikes behind me hit each other.

The second accident i was going 30-40 km/h when i started stopping.

I find it hard to see how I could done anything different except to not stop at all, and indeed, that is my conclusion, now i never stop for pedestrians, no problems since.

*edit* i have breaklights.

Question: do you always stop for pedestrians? Or only when you feel like it's safe?

Also, why do you think my thai driving teacher said that stopping at stop signs in thailand is dangerous?

Edited by hobz

Amazing!

But if this really happens, and so quickly, in the US and elsewhere because of economics ... doesn't mean it will happen the same way here.

One big reason ... so many motorcycles. Already cheap!

It Could Be 10 Times Cheaper To Take Electric Robo-Taxis Than To Own A Car By 2030

A new report predicts that we’re on the edge of an incredibly rapid transition to an entirely new transportation system–where it will be so much cheaper and easier to not own a car, you’ll get rid of it as soon as you can.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40424452/it-could-be-10-times-cheaper-to-take-electric-robo-taxis-than-to-own-a-car-by-2030?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

On 5/27/2017 at 2:21 PM, hobz said:

Done and considered. 

Both accidents were on roads were people drive fast even though there are unmarked pedestrian crossings. Hang dong road and huaw kaew road.

The first accident i didnt even get hit. But two motorbikes behind me hit each other.

The second accident i was going 30-40 km/h when i started stopping.

I find it hard to see how I could done anything different except to not stop at all, and indeed, that is my conclusion, now i never stop for pedestrians, no problems since.

*edit* i have breaklights.

Question: do you always stop for pedestrians? Or only when you feel like it's safe?

Also, why do you think my thai driving teacher said that stopping at stop signs in thailand is dangerous?

If you learnt to drive in Thailand - then you probably are in need of a few other lessons.

What you are the victim of is simply a bit of bad luck (and maybe some non-working brake lights).

So let me allay your fears and let you know why Thai drivers are more aware of sudden stops than most countries.

- People stop in the middle of dual carriageways for u-turns

- Taxis stop all the time without warning

- Busses stop - often in the right hand lane, also without warning

People that turn right stop too and those turning left will slow down to a crawl.

These are things that happen every minute of every hour in Thailand. So your assertion that stopping for one specific reason (a crossing) is more dangerous than these things is not very convincing.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:14 PM, Dagnabbit said:

If you learnt to drive in Thailand - then you probably are in need of a few other lessons.

What you are the victim of is simply a bit of bad luck (and maybe some non-working brake lights).

So let me allay your fears and let you know why Thai drivers are more aware of sudden stops than most countries.

- People stop in the middle of dual carriageways for u-turns

- Taxis stop all the time without warning

- Busses stop - often in the right hand lane, also without warning

People that turn right stop too and those turning left will slow down to a crawl.

These are things that happen every minute of every hour in Thailand. So your assertion that stopping for one specific reason (a crossing) is more dangerous than these things is not very convincing.

All the things you mentioned, u-turns, taxus, buses, thai people are aware of those and more ready to brake.

Pedestrian crossings they are not prepared to brake. Motorbike drivers are driving too fast to brake safely in those situations. Its very easy to see. 

All the things you mentioned, u-turns, taxus, buses, thai people are aware of those and more ready to brake.
Pedestrian crossings they are not prepared to brake. Motorbike drivers are driving too fast to brake safely in those situations. Its very easy to see. 

So to be clear, Thais are able to stop safely for any any event that occurs anywhere that does not involve a pedestrian in a marked crossing.

Indeed

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So to be clear, Thais are able to stop safely for any any event that occurs anywhere that does not involve a pedestrian in a marked crossing.

Indeed

Any event? No.

Common events? Yes.

Stop for pedestrian = uncommon. 

Logic. Yes. Brain. Have.

Just saw a doc about the amazing progress in self driving car technology happening now in Silicon Valley. It seems within 10 years this is going to be massive in the U.S., Canada, and I assume Europe, etc.
But driving in Thailand and other "something else" world nations is so different! Talking about the driving culture and the motorcycles going in every direction, etc.
Do you think the car software will EVER be smart enough to deal with Thai conditions? Because the idea is to make things safer ...

Ultimately yes, even in Thailand. I doubt if any readers here will live long enough to see it though.
And if motorcycles are still a problem there will a Thai accessory to biff them out of the way. (I'd like to see that). . .

• 5 months later...

OR ...

perhaps they won't take off anywhere?

I think they will at least in places like Singapore.

What If Autonomous Cars Just Never Happen?

More and more semi-autonomous cars cruise on the road every day, and yet the more time I spend testing these driver-assisted vehicles, the more I think that full autonomy may never, ever happen.

https://jalopnik.com/what-if-autonomous-cars-just-never-happen-1820778692

Edited by Jingthing