Will the fledgling ASEAN Economic Community succeed?

webfact

Will the fledgling ASEAN Economic Community succeed?
by Alistair Denness

BANGKOK: -- IN the dying moments of 2015, the members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) put pen to paper and finally made the long anticipated ASEAN Economic Community a reality. Ten nations elevated from their positions as individual states to constituent parts of the world’s newest economic bloc.

Or that, at least, is the intention. As it stands, seven nations – those of Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam – are full members of the AEC, whilst the three remaining nations of Cambodia, Laos and Burma (Myanmar) have been given a two year extension to work on meeting certain requirements: primarily a greater reduction of existing trade restrictions.

Even so, on paper, this is an entity to be reckoned with. As a single economy, it is the seventh largest in the world, and with a population of over 600 million its internal market is larger than those of either the EU or North America. Now, with the AEC formalized, a focus upon greater economic development and integration lying at the heart of largely liberal agenda, the future looks bright for the region. And yet, using the example of ASEAN itself as a measure of the potential gains to be made, some observers are swift to criticize its potential impact.

Full story: http://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/01/will-the-fledgling-asean-economic-community-aec-succeed/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONENT 2016-01-11

I think that for each of the member states (except Brunei) the trade with Australia or USA or EU is larger than the trade inside the ASEAN

Also the numbers of airline passengers between the member state is not impressive

It will take a long time to develop a credible common market

It might if they make it a loose association of trading partners like the European Common Market was supposed to be.

EE​C ak​a European Common Market.

1950, the European Coal and Steel Community begins to unite European countries economically in order to secure lasting peace. The six founders are the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg) France, Germany, and Italy.

And that is where it should have stayed. But is wasn’t long in coming that crooked politicians empire builders got their finger in the pie and in 1957 had the Treaty of Rome signed and it became a political football, from there on out it has been nothing but downhill with NATO warmongers with the US in the lead giving the orders.

EEC had its own electronic money for doing business among the 6-member states with their own currencies exchange rates with the EEC electronic money. It also had an EEC electronic Money Market. I joined when it first opened and stayed with it for the next 10-years at which time it became the Euro a currency you carry in your pocket. This EEC electronic money idea ASEAN should consider for trading among the ASEAN countries.

i asked my Thai girlfriend if she wanted to go on a trip to Cambodia with me.

she said, and i quote: "Cam-boo-dee-ah bad. No can. Cam-boo-dee-ah people no like Thai people."

or as last weeks girlfriend said about going anywhere outside Thailand:

"no want, Thailand best. Number one in world."

the last conversation took place in a 7/11.