what is best online hotel booking site ?

dirtycash

ive booked before through www.agoda.com then i got to the room and it was filthy, no wifi etc etc. is there a site where if i pay up front via credit card and if the room is not satisfactory i can have some recourse to get a refund or at least change rooms or change hotels ?

thanks

both owned by same company Priceline

Neither will help much if the room is not up to spec

if u want a different room just ask , most hotels are very accommodating if you give them a reason whey you need move.

I often have changed rooms cause i could not get a decent connection or the room smelled of cigs.

I used Hotel.com. After I had paid I did a review search and found that people were slamming them.Everything worked out well though and they gave me 15% off coupon for next time I use them,whicch ain't too bad.

My method is to use the online booking companies to find hotels in the area I want to stay in. I then make make a note of the ones in my budget range and using the online maps provided check out the exact locations of the hotels on my short list to see how far they are from the main roads etc. Next....check out pictures and online reviews of the different hotels.

Finally, I contact the hotel direct to confirm their walk in price and if satisfied book a room without any advance payment. When I arrive at the chosen hotel I check out the room they are going to give me before signing in and paying. If the reality does not live up to the online description I move on to my fall back choice and repeat the above. Better to get what you want rather than check into somewhere you don't likem

My method is to use the online booking companies to find hotels in the area I want to stay in. I then make make a note of the ones in my budget range and using the online maps provided check out the exact locations of the hotels on my short list to see how far they are from the main roads etc. Next....check out pictures and online reviews of the different hotels.

Finally, I contact the hotel direct to confirm their walk in price and if satisfied book a room without any advance payment. When I arrive at the chosen hotel I check out the room they are going to give me before signing in and paying. If the reality does not live up to the online description I move on to my fall back choice and repeat the above. Better to get what you want rather than check into somewhere you don't likem

Very good and sound advice, Denim

I use Agoda. Booked rooms all over the world with it. I go for the best price at the range I want and just as important, the rating. I read reviews.

After you use the service for awhile you get to see where the sweet spots are. The five star where the price is way down or the highly recommended three star.

Most of the time you get a great value. Sometimes incredible other times the room sucks.

I haven't found a better way to do it. I do have the Agoda customer service line on my phone. If there is a problem they fix it or the hotel fixes it.

very good advice, common sense really but mine goes out the window when in a hurry to book my next trip 555

i seen the paradise park in jomtien for rent on www.bookings.com looks great, says there is wifi and tv but doesnt give any info of what is actually on the tv in this place ,,if basic sophon cable etc. it also doesnt give advice where to pick up key especially if i arrive at 6am in the morning.

how do these listings work ? i didnt think people could list their condo on www.booking.com or agoda

I've been booking directly with the hotels themselves and have been getting decent rates. I generally know the hotels that I want to stay at. Keep in mind that you generally get what you pay for. Trip Advisor has a lot of hotel reviews, not all of which are reliable. In the past, I used to book through Agoda and they're OK but found that I can do better by booking directly.

very good advice, common sense really but mine goes out the window when in a hurry to book my next trip 555

it is good advice, as long as it is not peak season. In peak season, it makes sense to book and actually PRE-PAY a room to make sure you actually get it.

Have used the jointly owned Agoda and Booking.com for many years and several hundred bookings. Always look at both, always look at pricing on your then-selected hotel web site, always skim reviews (their single greatest attribute) and never select anything less than a 7 out of 10 unless in a bind. Yes they have their flaws (they will usually abrogate responsibility back to the hotel - eg one hotel in Kong Jiam is still lying by significantly overstating it's room size - we can do nothing ourselves was there response! I got trapped into paying a parking fee in a London Heathrow hotel yesterday because Agoda disclosed "parking" - should have checked of course but they should have a policy of disclosing either free or not free. All I got was sympathy from their subcontinent call centre.

Their priorities seem to lie with their hoteliers, not their site users but their clout in the market makes them an unavoidable option. It should be called 'Google syndrome'

Always take up any issues directly with the hotel. As others say it usually brings rewards if you are polite but firm. Waste of time complaining to Agoda/Booking.com. They will offer only sympathy and then will send you a nice customer survey where you can bitch them again and which they will bin☺

You can have a minor victory in posting your complaints in a review. To their credit I have never had a review edited out for adverse comments even about themselves.

Must go back to Kong Jiam and pay 600 baht just to have a go at that lying owner and get my 5 year old damning review refreshed!

• 4 months later...
Have encountered issues with Hotels.com and Agoda bookings. Customer services e-mail support tend to make it up as they go along. Actually, this TVF post reminded me, that I should complaint to Citizens Advice/Trading standards (as I am not satisfied with customer services reply)

When you (if you are UK person) complain to Citizens advice they will forward the details to Trading standards automatically.

Here are some of the things hotel booking sites have been slammed for.

Best booking website is as always called Email. I have never yet found any of the these Agodas etc etc cheaper than contacting direct ever. Not that it makes any difference but just booked Pattaya Hotel direct for 850 Baht for 3 weeks (no advance payment and PAYG when we get there) whereas Agoda wanted 1170 absolute joke for identical Superior B room

Archived