That's what you get for welding in sunglasses!

Bobtippit

Many years ago I worked in South Africa in the gold mines, my mate worked at a different mine to which he told me this story, he was working as a plater welder on the surface and was given the job of some welding on the roof, and in those days you had a labourer helping you, he told his labourer that he would go on the roof and lower some rope down so the guy could fasten the torch to the rope so he could haul the torch to the roof, after lowering the rope down the guy shouted ok pull so my mate was pulling and pulling but could not get anywhere after a few minutes he climbed of the roof and went to look what was wrong and guess what his labourer had tied the bottles on aswell lol

• 2 months later...

On our last building construction I approached the situation differently.

I gave the people operating the jackhammer a handful of disposable earplugs and the welder a cheap pair of welding goggles.

They appreciated it and the small outlay worked in my favour.

Welding goggles are almost as bad as sunglasses,I assume the welder was using Electric Arc,which calls for a Full face mask? and leather gloves?

I often thought,welders in Thailand pay a high price for posing on the job, as you say skin cancer ! surely somebody in authority has told them?

Ah here is the key, the vast majority of so called "welders" are not even welders, real Thai welders are in demand world wide for their skills and they are paid very well and they do wear the proper kit

I will concede the vast majority of posters only experience with "thai welders" is watching them weld roof trusses on the MacMansion the all knowing farang is getting built for his teerak, who love him long time

Real thai welders would not be welding roof trusses on a farangs MacMansion for thb 300/day or even thb 1000/day

I was told it is different electricity in Thailand than the rest of the world, so no ploblem that was shortly before they asked me if we had the same sun in Australia as Thailand,i told them there is only one Sun,but most of them where convinced Thailand has it's own sun.

Guy came round our house to do a bit of welding on the garage roof today, he put his ladder up set up his welder, climes up the ladder puts on a pair of sunglasses and starts welding. I said you don't want to be doing that, you need a full face screen, you'll end up with skin cancer. The wife translated to him and he got angry and started shouting at me all I could get was farrang farrang farrang!!! Started pointing at me then fell of his ladder and smashed his nose in. He was raving mad then still pointing at me so I said that's what you get for welding in sunglasses. He said farrang stupid!!!

Why do you care I see all the time not my eyes his eyes he will go blind in the future
Great.

George is a very caring individual, when he manages to post something that others comprehend that is!

It's amazing how workers think that they will never have a problem by cutting corners to make life easier.I was getting some construction done a few years ago and the welder raved on to my wife how the idiots that wear face masks and protective goggles. He insisted to weld without any protection and said he had done it for years and I told him it would blind him and he laughed it off. We saw his wife at a market a few months back and asked how Chai was and she replied he had gone blind and difficulty breathing and never leaves the house.

This is a common here in this country.

After less than an hour of looking directly at arc welding your eyes will be "flash-burned" (effectively sunburned) and they will peel. This is painful and is something you do not forget.

People welding without eye protection are just closing their eyes when they weld.

I still find it interesting how little self-preservation kicks in here in Thailand, or more how selective people are about it. I remember some 20 years ago when I first got into the welding inspection game how brutal the weld ‘arc’ can be. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize after catching a flash from someone striking an ark that it’s not good for you. If that doesn’t convince you to shield your eyes, just keep getting flashed and you’ll suffer, ‘ark eye’ as already mentioned in this tread it takes effect some hours later and feels like you have sand in your eyeballs, it hurts……… if you have it bad, you suffer temporary blindness…. If you keep doing it you’ll become less and less sensitive to the flashes……. Oh yer…. And then you’ll go blind!

What I find funny, (not ha ha, but ironically) is the amount of people riding scooters in Thailand with their hand over their mouths, so they don’t breath in pollution, yer that’ll do it…. or, hold a book over their heads, to keep the sun of them…… With a helmet hanging off the bars.

So no Welding hoods….. Is it a man thing? Thailand does have a big macho culture, Peer pressure is strong everywhere.

Edited by metisdead
Font.

Ah here is the key, the vast majority of so called "welders" are not even welders, real Thai welders are in demand world wide for their skills and they are paid very well and they do wear the proper kit

Real thai welders would not be welding roof trusses on a farangs MacMansion for thb 300/day or even thb 1000/day

We often employ teams of Thai welders offshore, and for fabrication work in the yard. They do amazing work, and I'd put them up against industrial grade welders anywhere in the world.

Still, their employers (our contractors) won't spring for auto darkening helmets and full gloves/shirts, etc. And we have to demand new cabling when theirs gets abraded to the point it's unsafe.

The welders are great, but the system they work under- not so much.

We often employ teams of Thai welders offshore, and for fabrication work in the yard. They do amazing work, and I'd put them up against industrial grade welders anywhere in the world.

Still, their employers (our contractors) won't spring for auto darkening helmets and full gloves/shirts, etc. And we have to demand new cabling when theirs gets abraded to the point it's unsafe.

Very much agree, It's more about lack of education and equipment than being Thai, a lot of very good Asian welders working in the international market.

All you have to do is tell the contractor you won't let them on the job without proper equipment, and the don't let them on.

IMO, for heavy welding (particularly in hot, humid weather or rain) the auto-dark are not good.

I still find it interesting how little self-preservation kicks in here in Thailand, or more how selective people are about it. I remember some 20 years ago when I first got into the welding inspection game how brutal the weld ‘arc’ can be. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize after catching a flash from someone striking an ark that it’s not good for you. If that doesn’t convince you to shield your eyes, just keep getting flashed and you’ll suffer, ‘ark eye’ as already mentioned in this tread it takes effect some hours later and feels like you have sand in your eyeballs, it hurts……… if you have it bad, you suffer temporary blindness…. If you keep doing it you’ll become less and less sensitive to the flashes……. Oh yer…. And then you’ll go blind!

What I find funny, (not ha ha, but ironically) is the amount of people riding scooters in Thailand with their hand over their mouths, so they don’t breath in pollution, yer that’ll do it…. or, hold a book over their heads, to keep the sun of them…… With a helmet hanging off the bars.

So no Welding hoods….. Is it a man thing? Thailand does have a big macho culture, Peer pressure is strong everywhere.

Yes they wear mouthmasks on the scooter but i rarely see them wearing eyeprotection like sunglasses on the motobikes. And without helmet they also drive 100kkm/hr.