want to live in thailand , how to start?

Hi, im from Slovakia 23yo , i want to live in thailand, but not sure if i understand how to make it possible with these new visa changes.

I dont want to work in thailand. I want just to live there, spew money, i earn money on internet so you could say "digital nomad" as i've seen such term used there before.

Should i just come to thailand and live there 30days w/o visas and then go to malaysia's thai embassy and get SETV? or how should i proceed?

thanks.

• Like 1

I suggest you start out using a tourist visa for your trip instead doing a visa exempt entry.
The best visa to get would be the new multiple entry tourist visa (METV) that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months. You can get almost 9 months of total stay by extending each entry for 30 days and doing an entry just before the visa expires and getting a new entry. It not a single entry tourist visa that would give you total stay of 90 days. See the Prague embassy website for info: http://www.thaiembassy.cz/visa-types/
There is a honorary Thai consulate in Slovakia where you could apply for your visa.

Slovac Republic
Viedenska Cesta 7
85252 Bratslavia
Mr. Alexander Rozin
Tel (4212) 67272124
Fax (4212)62247982, 68684222
[email protected]

• Like 1

Good luck to the OP -- going for the dream. As for visas, you have options of the METV for 6? months or the Elite card for 5 years. Both have pros and cons so you need to do a bit of research and find the best one for you. Be aware of the status of a 23-year-old farang with no apparent job, living in Thailand long term, as seen through the eyes of the Thai immigration officers. Also, get up to speed on the most recent definition of "work", especially as it might be localy interpreted where you intend to live. Meantime I'd suggest that you get yourself some health insurance, a private pension plan and an international drivers licence - I believe Phuket are insisting on that for farangs now, so probably everywhere soon and needs to be issued by your home country (I believe).

Probably best to ease yourself into the life-style - don't burn your bridges back home -- not yet anyway :)

• Like 2

I think somebody of your age would most enjoy somewhere like Phuket or Koh Samui. I would suggest you stay for a few weeks at each of them to get a feel for Thailand, Bangkok is petty terrible except for shopping and eating. I moved from Koh Samui after six months to live in ChiangMai where I expect to spend the rest of my days. CM is a great little city that has lots to offer to older people. It is a university town so is rather affluent and attracts many expats who are reasonably cashed up, well educated and well travelled. Being retired is hard work here as there is always so much to do (much more than in Sydney). Put it on your list for 25 years time but for now if I were you I would focus on the beach areas.

If you decide to go the "Thai language class route ", look into a university. I can't remember the name right now, but there is a university in Bangkok that offer a BA in Thai language. You would have no problems with your Ed visa.

• Like 1

I should imagine that the requirements are more or less the same as for all of us from Europe. Have to show a hefty amount of money in the bank for the last 6 months, plus a letter from the employer. May be difficult for a 23 year old. But you have received some good advice from above.

whistling.gif Good luck.

But right off there are two problems I can see.

1. There is no way for you to work LEGALLY as a "digital nomad" in Thailand without a Thai employer and a work permit.

2. A Tourist visa states "Employment Prohibited" anyhow.

Yes, I know there are ways to get around these problems....but not legally.

So, once again, good luck.

just gonna copy there requirement of my slovak thai embassy:

TOURIST (Single entry)

• passport valid for at least 6 months after return
  • legibly and a completed questionnaire
  • current photograph of the applicant (4 x 6 cm)
  • return ticket - photocopy (ticket paid in full)
  • proof of sufficient volumes of finance (20,000 Baht per person) (thats 500eur i have like 5000eur in account)

TOURIST (multiple entry visas, biannual) - This type of visa is issued to applicants who want to travel to the Kingdom of Thailand for tourism purposes on several occasions.

• passport valid for at least 6 months after return
  • legibly and a completed questionnaire
  • current photograph of the applicant (4 x 6 cm)
  • proof of domicile or residence in the Slovak Republic (photocopy of identity card) (well i can show my mother's flat)
  • Evidence of current financial status of at least 200,000 baht (which is 5000 Euros) per person for the last six months (i only recently got 5000eur in my account, so that looks like problem?)
  • proof of employment from the employer (obviously i dont have employer when im earning money online , as a poker player )
  • proof of a return ticket (min. on first trip to Thailand) - photocopy
  • booking accommodation (min. on first trip to Thailand) - photocopy
  • consular officials reserve the right to request additional documents as needed

im online poker player so idk if that is called digital nomad? all i know is that i am not gonna steal a job from regular thailand people, when i work online, which is country independant job.

so i guess when i dont meet these rules, i cant get METV only SETV ,
but that student visa... hmm... i like languages, i know english perfect, and bit of japanese, i like learninng new languages, what are requirements for student visa? how much it costs to get these visa and to visit the school?
i planned to go to chiangmai, altho my flight would be to bangkok cause its cheaper that way.
I dont need beach or marry girl, im gay, i just want some cheap peaceful quite life and more nature. I heard bankok is much bigger and expensie and noisy and CM quiter so CM better.

Edited by gaucan

I don't think there is a Thai embassy in Slovak. It is not shown here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/ That must be from the consulate there.

The single entry tourist visa would give you your first 90 days here. Then you could check out some language schools where you plan on staying.

Once you have the paperwork from a school you could go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-ed visa (2000 baht). Then before the 90 day entry you will get from the visa ends you would apply for an extension (1900 baht) every 90 days at an immigration office

Tuition for a course of study varies from school to school.

OP, ,what other countries have you considered? Seems to me that Thailand can't decide if they want digital nomads here or not. Plus it's really not all that cheap anymore. I'm thinking there are probably more welcoming countries that are a bit more open to what you're wanting to do, not to mention cheaper and you may not have to go through the headaches of visa runs every month or two.

im online poker player so idk if that is called digital nomad?

You do know that gambling for money is illegal in Thailand and blocked on the Internet?

how can it be? based on IP only, u ever heard of VPN?

Just informing you about the law.

Can you get an average of 2000 euro a month with your internet 'business'?

Is the time zone used in Thailand convenient with your 'business'?

Have you been ever in Thailand? If not how did you get this idea?

Why do you not go as a 30 day tourist to get some experience? This will cost you about 2500 euro and maybe you do not like the temperature at all.

here its like snow and -10, and i dont like it, i know its very hot in thailand, like 33 celsius, i dont think that would be problem
how did u calculated 2500eur? i was like 350e flight ticket, 300-400e rent/month , idk how much food 200-300e? return flight 350e, looks like 1500eur to me instead of 2500

Edited by gaucan

You can check flight prices on any of the numerous websites, not forgetting that you will possibly need a return ticket because of the airlines responsibilities to Thailands immigration rules. Rent will depend a lot on where and what style, Also food varies according to how much you can eat like the locals. Please do NOT forget health insurance !! It's all very well living the dream, but one unfortunate incident can make it into a nightmare. I see Return ticket Bratislavia - Bangkok end june €958 (Emirates) return end August

I'm sure you'll do better, but don't skip the costs of visa, taxis to and from Airports, etc, etc. It can be cheap in Thailand, but it also can very easily catch you out with things you did not expect.

Rent a room from 5,000Baht upwards plus cable, water, electricity and your all important internet connection. Expect to deposit at least 3 months rent in addition to paying the first month in advance. Get receipts for everything, immigration will be looking at your papers.

You know -- if you have absolutely no experience of Asian tropics, you could just come for a 2 months holiday in the summer and see how you get on. There's some good packages available for the off-season.

im online poker player so idk if that is called digital nomad?

You do know that gambling for money is illegal in Thailand and blocked on the Internet?

how can it be? based on IP only, u ever heard of VPN?

Just informing you about the law.

You can gamble in any other currency than thai bath.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk