Has anyone ever been treated for cancer whilst living in Thailand?

dsurin66

I found the following url with regards to insurance for cancer from Bangkok insurance.

http://www.bangkokinsurance.com/insurance/cancer-insurance-seller.php

I’m aged in late 40s and thus it would cost 17,000 baht a year for 1000,000 coverage.

If I intend to live out my years in Thailand and if the big C does invade my precious body how much on average would it cost to treat cancer. Obviously it would depend on the type of cancer and severity etc. If you’re a farang and you have been treated for cancer in Thailand how much did it cost you?

If I live for another 25 years then it will cost me around 425,000 in premiums. Then I presume you never know if they will actually pay out.

Whats your opinion on this insurance? Its duly noted that in my case there is no history of cancer in my family.

To comment on the insurance package:

(1) It only covers cancer. There are plenty of other conditions which can rack up large medical bills such as stroke, renal failure, heart attack, respiratory failure.

(2) Cover stops when you're 65.

(3) 17,000/year seems steep. However, you haven't mentioned your age. You can get comprehensive medical insurance with BUPA for from 9,198 baht/year at age 50.

Indeed a cancer only policy makes little sense. Get a comprehensive policy that covets outpatient cancer tteatment (chemo etc). there are a number or policies for impatient cover that will include that.

As to whether they will pay out, of course they will if it is a reputable company and the condition does not fall under any exclusion listed in the contract. Note that most policies have waiting periods before they will cover certain conditions. Less commonly, some policies exclude outpatient cancer treatments. Need to read the terms. A broker can help in comparison of diffetent policies.

As to cost it depends entirely on type of treatment required and hospital used, government hospitals being less expensive .

Cancer ia not however the most expensive thing that could happen. Even higher costs can be incurred from sevete trauma from car or moto accident or

Heart disease.

There is a thread currently running on someone with lung cancer. Bills (fully paid by private insurance) have topped one million baht and treatment not yet ovet.

• 1 month later...

Seven years ago had surgery for bowel and prostate cancer at Maharaj / Suan Dok / Sripat hospital plus follow up chemo and check ups since. Have been very well looked after and very grateful to the hospital and especially to the staff.

Am a New Zealand citizen and could have gone back for surgery etc which would have been free under the NZ health system. Do not carry health insurance except for accident insurance. Am now 80 years of age so comprehensive health insurance premiums would be massive.

Discussions about health insurance seem dominated by the cost of treatment. It is important to remember that after care costs can be substantial. I have not done an accounting, but if I had returned to NZ the surgery etc would have been free, but would have had to rent a relatively expensive flat and paid for a visiting house keeper, someone to do shopping in the early stages of recovery etc etc.

Costs for such services are far lower in Chiangmai, and in my case was looked after by my devoted Thai wife. But back of an envelope calculation suggests that when the costs of after care and living costs generally are taken into account, the total cost of a major health problem in Chiangmai where the procedures are paid out of pocket but living costs for an invalid are significantly lower may end out comparable or lower than the combination of free treatment but higher costs post treatment.

To comment on the insurance package:

(1) It only covers cancer. There are plenty of other conditions which can rack up large medical bills such as stroke, renal failure, heart attack, respiratory failure.

(2) Cover stops when you're 65.

(3) 17,000/year seems steep. However, you haven't mentioned your age. You can get comprehensive medical insurance with BUPA for from 9,198 baht/year at age 50.

Only with an unrealistically low maximum benefit - so low that I would argue not worth it. No one should have less than 2-5 million in insurance here.

Agree on the other point though - it makes no sense whatsoever to get a policy that covers cancer only. Should get comprehensive coverage. And definitely not one with coverage that stops at a certain age!

I have never heard of this particular insurance company but the package to me looks like a very, very bad idea (except for the company, who since they discontinue policies before people get old enough that there will be many with cancer, would stand to make a huge profit on it).

Thai Social Security most definitely covers cancer. As do most comprehensive health insurances.

Presumably the OP is not covered by SS. Should get a comprehensive health insurance policy that guarantees lifetime cover.