The abandoned condo building at bali hai pier on google

Howitzer

So during NYE i was at pattaya at bali hai pier where the main celebration was taking place. I took vids and pictures of the concert and fireworks and the backdrop was this gigantic abandoned building going upwards of 20 stories or more. Sure you guys know what i am talking about. I assume it is an abandoned condo building a residential block.

Anyway when i was there during NYE that area was crowded obviously. Beach road was crowded and walking street was choke full of ppl etc I decided to walk to bali hai to see the main celebration but the thing is i am not sure how far i was from the actual pier which is this long walkway more than 1 km long. I was there on NYE but i don't know how far i was from the actual pier so i decided to check on google map street view. One of the main landmarks i would use is the abandoned condo but on streetview i couldn't find the condo at all which is really weird obviously. Consequently i returned the next day to bali hai pier in the afternoon which is around say 3pm on 1st jan so it's like a couple of hours later after the NYE celebration and it was business as usual with the boat rides to koh larn island.

Anyway i took a few videos of the fireworks and the performance and you can see the huge abandoned building in the backdrop which i cannot find on google street view. Can anyone just point to me where i was located during the NYE celebration.

You were so close to the big Pattaya Sign. using street view it looks like the building was not up yet when the street view was done. The street view online shows a construction site where it looks to me like the building is now in your video.

Here is where I looked.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9249987,100.8662938,3a,75y,241.67h,92.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfRCRpK3gfCvXqKw6lgzQgQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Like 1

Google maps / street view is not a live stream. The pictures used can have been taken quite a while ago. In this case: Nov 2012.

attachicon.gifgoogle_maps.jpg

By the way, very nice video, thanks.

Thanks buddy.

Yeah and i recall that clock tower. I was thinking what would standing on the pier would have been like. Anyway it was packed with ppl everywhere making walking around quite difficult.

I seem to recall a year or so ago that the locals were protesting about this construction and work stopped

Kinda strange when you consider they dug up a perfectly good public park to put in that ugly automated car park just across the road

I think it was/is to be apartment hotel to be managed by the Tulip Group????

• Like 2

There was a long and informative thread on here about this building and all the myriad and lengthy legal problems it has had, but it got deleted which was a shame.

Basically all work stopped around October 2014 due to complaints about various aspects of the building design and permissions (height, distance from the road, blocking the view from the viewpoint). The case went backwards and forwards between various courts and government agencies and as far as I know it's now up to the local authorities (City Hall) to issue a permit for work to begin again.

Some other building sites belonging to the same group dont seem to be very active either, but the same could be said of many developers here now.

• Like 2

I seem to recall a year or so ago that the locals were protesting about this construction and work stopped

Kinda strange when you consider they dug up a perfectly good public park to put in that ugly automated car park just across the road

I think it was/is to be apartment hotel to be managed by the Tulip Group????

The inside information and "word" is Tulip Group bought the property/project from the Bangkok based Ramon(sp). Some how, they(Tulip) got control of the deposits and has been paying itself all this time for "management" of the project. Now things have gotten to the point they will lose money so they don't give a darn. The losers are those who bought in good faith. There is another long discussion about this in this section. Search and you will find it...

Bottom line, Israelis know how to avoid losing money. A disgrace and contributes to the hatred accumulated around the world of same. The deposits should be refunded and then let them sort out the permit difficulties with their money on the line.

• Like 1

I was told because it blocked views from Big Buddha. They did not figure that out before?

I am sure those places were not cheap.

I wonder how many are going to lose all their money?

Good example to be cautious when buying property here.

• Like 2

I was told because it blocked views from Big Buddha. They did not figure that out before?

I assume the officials signing the building permit were well aware.

But for a real big stack of notes they could rate this as a minor issue whistling.gif

Nice bay view isn't it, picture I took in June 2015 from "radio hill":

post-99794-0-74416700-1452919174_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Please be informed that a halt was not because of any protest or any complain.

Pattaya City Mayor, Itthipol Khunploem said on the press conference on aug. 18th, 2014 that the developer have ignored the city's decision to temporarily revoke its construction permit due to several unapproved features.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Moves-to-halt-50-storey-condo-30241390.html

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/waterfront-hotel-condo-project-questioning-construction-licence

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/08/20/pattaya-view-blocking-condo-project-paused

The picture shown filing document on aug. 19th, 2014 the day after the press conference.

Now the building was halted for 16 months.

post-224270-0-63666300-1452936465_thumb.

As I understood the building permits and the legality of the land ownership came under review after

public complaints about the building blocking the view from the Big Buda. On closer review the

site was too close to the water and the building permit and land ownership was more than

questionable. There were/are allegations that officials were paid bribes to grant the land titles

and building permits. Then everything came to a screeching halt. At some point an Israeli

developer was the developer of record not sure who own it or is responsible now. Not sure

anyone will be getting there finished condo or a refund anytime soon or indeed any time at all.

These were not low budget condos either. They were marketed and priced as the best of the best. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Really, it should be knocked down. There were lots of short cuts ---- like the only reason it was 100 metres from the high water mark, was because of reclaimed land. The view obstruction from the Wat area was also crazy. And also note, it stopped after the coup. Not that I approve of the coup, but it was local politics.

Hey guys i just read the rest of the posts after my last post here. I was trying to establish where i was during NYE at pattaya because the actual pier/jetty extends more than 1 km into the sea and i like taking pictures/videos and it was only after NYE did i figure out perhaps i should have walked to the jetty area to take videos/pictures and let's be honest it would be chock full of people.

I was stuck in a sea of people with some very angry thai guys cos a few old farangs were pushing their way about. I just stayed put at that location.

Anyway i read the comments on that condo and came to the conclusion that the ownership/consruction of it has passed to another company but due to some problems with its construction that the current company refuses to solve with the pattaya authorities all construction has been halted.

Am i correct on this so far?

Also i understand that the building blocks of the view of some religious icon a huge buddha statue and this has irked the authorities too.

Look all of these are important factors and points that would prevent the consturction of this building but shouldn't they have all been addressed before the construction of the building itself?

Look before you building such a tall building you need to lay in the foundations, get the amount of materials to build it and obviously know how high it will be and what it is going to look like before it is completed.

Here then lies the problem. If all that planning had been done they obviously would have known how tall the building would be and whether it would block the big buddha.

How is it possible to actually complete the construction of the buildings skeleton as you can see from my video the building is already constructed just need to do some finishing touches on it and it's a new condo.

So how is it possible to build a building almost complete and then suddenly turn around and say oh no no there are problems it blocks of the view of a religious icon which should have been factored in even before the first brick was laid.

How is that possible?

• Like 1

Hey guys i just read the rest of the posts after my last post here. I was trying to establish where i was during NYE at pattaya because the actual pier/jetty extends more than 1 km into the sea and i like taking pictures/videos and it was only after NYE did i figure out perhaps i should have walked to the jetty area to take videos/pictures and let's be honest it would be chock full of people.

I was stuck in a sea of people with some very angry thai guys cos a few old farangs were pushing their way about. I just stayed put at that location.

Anyway i read the comments on that condo and came to the conclusion that the ownership/consruction of it has passed to another company but due to some problems with its construction that the current company refuses to solve with the pattaya authorities all construction has been halted.

Also i understand that the building blocks of the view of some religious icon a huge buddha statue and this has irked the authorities too.

Look all of these are important factors and points that would prevent the consturction of this building but shouldn't they have all been addressed before the construction of the building itself?

Look before you building such a tall building you need to lay in the foundations, get the amount of materials to build it and obviously know how high it will be and what it is going to look like before it is completed.

Here then lies the problem. If all that planning had been done they obviously would have known how tall the building would be and whether it would block the big buddha.

How is it possible to actually complete the construction of the buildings skeleton as you can see from my video the building is already constructed just need to do some finishing touches on it and it's a new condo.

So how is it possible to build a building almost complete and then suddenly turn around and say oh no no there are problems it blocks of the view of a religious icon which should have been factored in even before the first brick was laid.

How is that possible?

this is Thailand, anything is possible if you take logic out of the equation

• Like 2

How is that possible?

Herein lies a part of the Thai subculture that I have witnessed and been exposed to more times that what I woulds wish to admit !

Town Planning / Thaibiz 101 - It is better to seek "forgiveness" after knowingly, disregarding; laws/rules/decency and common sense than to expose yourself to the "process" of pre-approval or seeking the permission of some one perceived of a lesser socio-economic standing.

Far cheaper, quicker this way if you have the leverage!!

How is that possible?

but you have failed to mention that there is a dispute over the ownership of the land on which the structure sits? they may have encroached onto public land.That is quite important to resolve and something that cannot just be brushed aside.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

How is that possible?

but you have failed to mention that there is a dispute over the ownership of the land on which the structure sits? they may have encroached onto public land.That is quite important to resolve and something that cannot just be brushed aside.

Pattaya City had confirmed that this project encroached the public area.

Pratumnak hill was encroached about 173 sq wa.

Police is working on this file.

In their EIA, the condition is the constructor should build the fence around their land.

In fact, on their construction update, all pictures shown that they never have any fences on the hill side. Finally, Pattaya City found that their dig out the foothill and also footpath on the seaside.

By the way, the investigation also working on the 100M from Mean Sea Level. It will be proofed.

post-224270-0-38512900-1453119066_thumb.

post-224270-0-58579500-1453119089_thumb.

post-224270-0-73483600-1453119168_thumb.

post-224270-0-42481000-1453119222_thumb.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 1/16/2016 at 10:32 AM, KittenKong said:

There was a long and informative thread on here about this building and all the myriad and lengthy legal problems it has had, but it got deleted which was a shame.

Basically all work stopped around October 2014 due to complaints about various aspects of the building design and permissions (height, distance from the road, blocking the view from the viewpoint). The case went backwards and forwards between various courts and government agencies and as far as I know it's now up to the local authorities (City Hall) to issue a permit for work to begin again.

Some other building sites belonging to the same group dont seem to be very active either, but the same could be said of many developers here now.

haha just gotta laugh at the dumbos who bought condos off the plan for this one. lol :cheesy:

• Like 1

Two years now with not a sign of any activity.

Though the Bali Hai car park area in front of the building is now very clean and open since they forced all the boats to move at the start of this month, so if they ever do finish the building anyone in it will have a much more pleasant view.

3 hours ago, kevkev1888 said:

Could be a really nice area.

Yes it could be very nice.... the whole Bali Hai area,

and it was  quite nice  before the automatic parking garage and failed  "marina"

Looks like the "nice men in green" have cleared the area because they want to use it for an upcoming "international regatta" event what happens after that  is anyone's guess.

Edited by johng
  • Like 2