How Many Months Do We Have To Renew Our Thai Driver's Licenses?

I got a one year license for the first time about a year and a half ago but have not been on a Non Immigrant Visa until recently. I would like to go and get my 5 year license.

1. What is the cut off date for renewing a one-year Thai driver's license? Is it one year? Six months? Three months?

2. What documents do I need besides a 1" picture?

3. Do I need to go to my embassy and get a statement of residence because my address has changed since I got my original 1 year license? I should have changed my address long ago so will that get me into trouble?

:o

I got a one year license for the first time about a year and a half ago but have not been on a Non Immigrant Visa until recently. I would like to go and get my 5 year license.

1. What is the cut off date for renewing a one-year Thai driver's license? Is it one year? Six months? Three months?

3. Do I need to go to my embassy and get a statement of residence because my address has changed since I got my original 1 year license? I should have changed my address long ago so will that get me into trouble?

I suspect you can just rock on up, and renew since your current one is expired; you'll need some photos of yourself, passport and workpermit, but no need AFAIK to get health cert or the embassy letter.

I don't think there is a cutoff, as i managed to hang on for longer than 1 year without getting it renewed (as I wasn't driving during that period) and they still renewed no problem.

I just had my licence renewed (or probably better described as getting a new licence) My licence had been expired for 1 year. My situation was oposite of yours as I got the origional licence while on a type B visa and the new one on a VOA.

1. I read somewhere on the board that the cut off date is 1 year after expire but did not confirm that.

2. you need a letter of residence from the Thai Imigration( they require a copy of the house book and 2 pictures) a medical certificate (available at any clinic for about 100 baht) copy of your passport including visa page, 2 pictures for each licence your are applying for, your old drivers licence and maybe a copy of the licence from your home country (not sure about that but better to take it with you). Make copies of everything and don't sign them until they ask you to so they can witness you signature.

3. No need to get the letter from your embassy, they do it at Thai imigration, I don't think there will be any trouble about not changing your address, you are doing it now.

Because I am on a VOA, I had to do the test for car and motorcycle.

Hope this helps.

2. you need a letter of residence from the Thai Imigration( they require a copy of the house book and 2 pictures) a medical certificate (available at any clinic for about 100 baht) copy of your passport including visa page, 2 pictures for each licence your are applying for, your old drivers licence and maybe a copy of the licence from your home country (not sure about that but better to take it with you). Make copies of everything and don't sign them until they ask you to so they can witness you signature.

I didn't need this in Khon Kaen. I had to show my work permit only. I didn't need the health cert. either when renewing.

BTW, you won't get the 5 year, but another 1 year, AFAIK(took me ages to work out what that meant).

I didn't need this in Khon Kaen. I had to show my work permit only. I didn't need the health cert. either when renewing.

BTW, you won't get the 5 year, but another 1 year, AFAIK(took me ages to work out what that meant).

You pnly need a Medical Certificate when you apply for your the first time; you do not need one when you renew.

As for how long after expiry is acceptable, I believe the rules say within twelve months.

However, as in many such situations, the officer dealing with your application 'rules'... :o

There seems to be some disagreement as to how to renew one's first Thai driver's license in Bangkok to get a 5 year one re address verification. I did a search of the internet and was lead back to thaivisa:

Renewal of Thai driving license

Documents needed for renewal of Thai driving license:

Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)

Two 1 inch photos (available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building)

Your old Thai driving license.

Submit in the morning and you receive a receipt to pick up in the afternoon. Fee 105 Baht.

There is no mention whatsoever of needing to go to one's embassy or immigration to get verification of one's address... or is this old information?

Anyone with recent experience of getting their 5 year license in Bangkok please comment. I cannot find the web address for the Ministry of Transportation.

Thanks. :o

...Anyone with recent experience of getting their 5 year license in Bangkok please comment. I cannot find the web address for the Ministry of Transportation.

Thanks. :o

Yes, I did mine last year at Prakhanong (just past the On Nut BTS). I just rolled up with the one that was going to expire on the expiry date, gave them the required number of photo's (4) as I was doing a motor-bike lisence also and my work-permit.

They gave me the 5-year license. The nice thing about them is the expirt date is linked to your birthday and you are just reminded to come some time in the 3 months before your birthday to renew it again. So if you get the license the month after your birthday, then it expires nearly 6 years later.