leaving thailand with overstay and with the visa in old passport

cheers guys, really appreciate all the helpful advice. obviously if asked he wont mention about working here illegally, he is a teacher by the way with no work permit so what would you advise he say as to how hes been here for so long on overstay without "work"? His plan is to marry his thai girlfriend on return, will they give him a big red stamp in his passport stating the length of his overstay? he,s worried it might affect his chance of getting a marriage visa in the future

" obviously if asked he wont mention about working here illegally"

I'm not sure that "obviously" is as word to be bandied about in reference to someone who's overstayed by six years while working illegally.

• Like 2

Fly out to Lao, pay the 20K fine, no ban.

Re-enter on Tourist Visa 60 days + 30 day extension at local Immigration.

Get married, then either get a multi Non Imm O Visa from Savanakhet, no proof of funds required.

OR get a single entry Non Imm O Visa from Savanakhet, then last 30 days get an extension at local Immigration based on Marriage, requires 400,000 baht deposited in a Thai Bank, or monthly income of 40,000 baht.

Once married he can get a WP based on marriage to a Thai and legally work.

He needs both Passports if possible at the Airport.

He will probably be banned from reentering for some years and he will be fined the maximum which was 20.000 Bath the

last I heard. Check it on Thai Forums they will know.

He should be at the Airport well ahead of time since this is not going to be dealt with in a minute.

Oh he nees to do this fast as the rules are changing and he maybe banned from re-entering the Kingdom- I think the rules change in march

Get married, then either get a multi Non Imm O Visa from Savanakhet, no proof of funds required.

OR get a single entry Non Imm O Visa from Savanakhet, then last 30 days get an extension at local Immigration based on Marriage, requires 400,000 baht deposited in a Thai Bank, or monthly income of 40,000 baht.

No, a work permit is based on employment, not your visa/extension of stay.

First thing first leave the country and pay the fine I did it 2days ago. The officer treated me with respect although I was damn scared at the moment. In total I met 3 officer first one you hand him your passport and tell him politely you overstayed. He will check and after that he might ask what have you been doing in Thailand all these time. Reply politely again for me I replied in Thai I stay with my GF. He will then turn on the light to ask another officer here to bring you and your passport to the counter to clear the fine. I was ask why I am I not going to my home country. I replied in Thai politely again that I have something to settle there. Although he knew flying from BKK to Vientiane what else can it be. And he'll ask you to sit down and wait. After that the 3rd officer will ask you to sign. Ask for the fine. And that's it 5mins. *regarding the new passport just go to the airport with both I did that also and j even lost my departure card. Which take a long time for them to retrieve bcos the numbers was reuse they couldn't find my record. Remember after leaving every officer do the Thai "wai" put you hand together to show them respect. For the trouble you cause.

Stevymac - I was in a similar position with original entry visa in old passport and a new unmarked passport. I went to Suvaranabhumi with a ticket out and the 20k baht. I was directed to a desk behind regular immigration. The stamp was transferred from the old passport into the new one (rather incongruous as the entry stamp therefore actually preceded the issuing date of the passport in my case by over 10 years). The departure stamp was placed beside it along with a stamp indicating length of overstay and that the 20k fine was paid. They seemed particularly interested that I still had the TA6 form but maybe that might have been due to when I arrived they might not have had a computerised system in operation. While they were clearly and justifiably nonplussed with my overstay I found them extremely professional about it. No back-rooms or requirements for "tea" money. Indeed the process was being watched by the senior I/O and on leaving the desk I enquired if I was blacklisted and reassured that I was not. The whole process took about 30 minutes Lots of forms to sign relating to understanding pending overstay rules. He should therefore arrive early, be conservatively dressed and accept that he was in the wrong, be apologetic pay his fine and be on his way. He might be questioned on re-entry therefore the sound advice of some of earlier posters to obtain a visa in advance of re-entry. He is right to try and get it sorted out and I fully understand his apprehension but from someone who has been through it he will feel a tremendous sense of relief once cleared. A cold beer airside never tasted so good!

If someone like you posted on my post 2-3years back I would have did I long ago. That time I was cursed and swear everyone hoping that I get caught. That eventually got be afraid to even step near the airport. But it was so true of what you said about the sense of relief. Overstaying is not fun at all. Many things you cannot do, i even tried going on holiday with my wife I bought her an air ticket and I took bus how ridiculous is that. You cannot check into a decent hotel always afraid when you see road blocks even when you're not driving. So for people who ever thought of overstaying you visa DON'T.

No, a work permit is based on employment, not your visa/extension of stay.

No it is based on the type of Visa/extension you hold. Many do not allow employment.

An extension based on marriage to a Thai allows work, then WP.

Edited by Faz

ive heard that in Laos or at the border coming back they might as for a ticket out of thailand as ill only be on a tourist visa and proof of funds i think $500 my friend said to proof i can sustain myself in thailand while on holiday. any truth to this?

He is UK so gets 15 days visa exempt in Vietnam . .

HCMC is one of cheapest places to fly. The thai consulate is very good. Also no queues. Easy to get to from district 1. He obtains a setv. Return sort out marriage etc and eventually has a non o

ive heard that in Laos or at the border coming back they might as for a ticket out of thailand as ill only be on a tourist visa and proof of funds i think $500 my friend said to proof i can sustain myself in thailand while on holiday. any truth to this?

I have seen no recent reports of that happening at the crossing from Laos. There was one unconfirmed report some time ago.

hello chaps, my cousins just started a job at a language centre and the owner said its possible to give him a work permit once his overstay has been cleared, can he clear his overstay at airport then go to laos and get a non immigrant b visa or would he have to get tourist visa first?

Edited by stevymac

hello chaps, my cousins just started a job at a language centre and the owner said its possible to give him a work permit once his overstay has been cleared, can he clear his overstay at airport then go to laos and get a non immigrant b visa or would he have to get tourist visa first?

If the position he will be getting is as a teacher he could possibley get a non-b visa with paperwork from the language center.. Teachers do not need a work permit approval letter to get a non-b visa. All others working need one to get the non-b visa.

so if he gets the paperwork from the language centre he could get the non -b visa in vientiene? he will be a teacher ye, if so what paperwork would he need? thanks again joe, ya a legend mate

The language center should know what is needed to get the non-b.

One thing that could be a problem is a police clearance certificate. Vientiane has been asking for that recently.

You can find a list of requirements here at 2.4 on the MFA website. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

so you think better to just get the tourist visa in laos then get the non imm b visa at chaeng watthana immigration? he can transfer the tourist visa to a non imm b at chaeng watthana?

I suggest he get the tourist visa first. That would be better than waiting to get all documents required for a non-b.

He might be able do a change at immigration but not many people are able to do it due to the higher requirements than those needed to get one at a nearby embassy or consulate.

just seen from another post that the immigration at the airport want to see obviously a ticket out but also a ticket to come back is this true? my cousin was going to book a one way to vientiene then come back on the train to bangkok, will this be a problem you think? would it be easier to just book a return ticket?

just seen from another post that the immigration at the airport want to see obviously a ticket out but also a ticket to come back is this true? my cousin was going to book a one way to vientiene then come back on the train to bangkok, will this be a problem you think? would it be easier to just book a return ticket?

Immigration would not care whether you have a return flight back or not when the overstay is paid. Nothing to worry about.

thanks, once he got his visa though at the thai embassy in laos hes worried that he might get hassle if he comes back via land border from immigration there when they see how long he overstayed,. you think better to fly back to bangkok or you think if he takes train back to bangkok from laos they will be ok with him?

thanks, once he got his visa though at the thai embassy in laos hes worried that he might get hassle if he comes back via land border from immigration there when they see how long he overstayed,. you think better to fly back to bangkok or you think if he takes train back to bangkok from laos they will be ok with him?

It should not be a problem to return to the country overland since he will have a visa. The embassy will not ask for a return ticket.

Can he clear his overstay at don mueang airport? He is thinking flying to udonthani then takin van to laos. What u think guys or should he just go from suvarnaphumbi airport. He wants a single entry tourist visa

No

Going to Vientiane via Udon Thani would require clearing immigration at the bridge in Nong Khai. If there were direct flights to Vientiane form Don Mueang immigration could be cleared their.