Am I better off ordering from the States?

ev1lchris

Just ordered from Lazada (Thailand) exercise equipment, protein. Great deals. Some items here in 5-7 days. Others apparently from China in 3 weeks. Free Shipping.

Will attempt a small order from Banggood soon to see what happens when ordering into China.

Thought about the Amazon order plus other companies from USA by using expat mailbox company which will consolidate orders for you but will see how these first 2 attempts work.

I've bought several laptops from Amazon US using Shipito (discussed many times on this forum) and prices were very predictable, Fedex asks just 7% VAT on your declared price and delivers to your door to collect the 7% fee. Warranty may be an issue for some tho as might require return to overseas in case of fault - happened once to me on delivery so tripled the delivery costs with return and sending out a replacement.

another argument for thai based purchase is that you might get one with a simcard slot which will give you internet without wifi.

i just brought an amazon fire tablet,8", from the us (will sell it here,2000bt,new ) and then got a samsung here for just that reason.better to buy here.

customs could be high

I buy laptops for friends in Thailand and I'm in America. We simply find a very good buy (a "sale") and I go buy it. Then if they want anything added such as more RAM I do that. Then I strip the computer from it's original box, put removable stickers on it and do other simple things to make it look used. Then I ship it to them and it sails through without duties. Oh, I test the computer by running it for 48 hours but have never found a problem.

The last new,ASUS 15" laptop with a 1 gig HDD and 12 gig of ram cost US$399 (14,500 baht) plus modest shipping. I sent the original box and packaging under separate cover for peanuts.

Remember too that these include a legit copy of Windows, factory installed. These are also not "yesterday's news" such as what I've seen in Thailand. They are current models.

Cheers

^^ Very true with warranty issues.

I have bought my last 3 computers in Thailand two ASUS and one Toshiba, and I have found the warranty I have received here to be above what I could have ever expected.

One of my ASUS had global warranty, which was great when I needed some repairs done when I was in Australia. Some computers have global warranty, others don't, so if you need global warranty, make sure the one you buy has it.

where do you buy your computers aussie? I need a new laptop.

Where are you? I have bought 2 in Bkk and one in Phuket. What brand do you want to get? The Phuket one was at Bananas at big C but the after sales service was non existent, but that doesn't matter as when it is under warranty, just take it to the service centre, which was Toshiba in Phuket town. The girl in there was very helpful and normally fixes it on the spot, unless parts need ordering. The others were from Pantip in Bkk.

Yeah once you find out where the service center is an can prove its under warranty which if you can't sometimes they can confirm online, happened 2 me with Toshiba in Chang mai they can't be helpful enough.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I buy laptops for friends in Thailand and I'm in America. We simply find a very good buy (a "sale") and I go buy it. Then if they want anything added such as more RAM I do that. Then I strip the computer from it's original box, put removable stickers on it and do other simple things to make it look used. Then I ship it to them and it sails through without duties. Oh, I test the computer by running it for 48 hours but have never found a problem.

The last new,ASUS 15" laptop with a 1 gig HDD and 12 gig of ram cost US$399 (14,500 baht) plus modest shipping. I sent the original box and packaging under separate cover for peanuts.

Remember too that these include a legit copy of Windows, factory installed. These are also not "yesterday's news" such as what I've seen in Thailand. They are current models.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't know.how true it was but on another thread someone said they had stopped duties on laptops, they didn't specify if that included new and used ones though.

Better to buy a computer here. It's going to way cheaper. Unless you really want to spend double of what the computer cost with paying for shipping.

I agree with this. Unless you want a high end device latest release (likely not even available in Thailand anyway), probably postal fees make it same price here. With higher priced models 1500USD upwards, maybe worth importing.