flavoured rice

Thian

I like the yellow rice which comes with fried onions , guess it's from south Thailand....Usually it comes with a chickenleg- or steak.

Now i want to try other flavoured ricedishes but have no idea where to find them. Are there any other dishes or (international) restaurants with nice flavoured rice or does anyone here have a good recipe?

Lots of them on the internet. Google Mexican rice made in rice cooker. Using about 2 tbsp of tomato paste is best with a handful of diced tomato and onion and a pi nch of cumen......maybe a chicken bouillon cube disovled in the water......For Middle easter rice its easy to come up with one....And for coconut rice......Cheap and easy to experiment as long as your not on a diet.....

Lots of them on the internet. Google Mexican rice made in rice cooker. Using about 2 tbsp of tomato paste is best with a handful of diced tomato and onion and a pi nch of cumen......maybe a chicken bouillon cube disovled in the water......For Middle easter rice its easy to come up with one....And for coconut rice......Cheap and easy to experiment as long as your not on a diet.....

Thanks, i 've worked in a mexican restaurant but wasn't much impressed with their rice.

Coconut cream is what we love to eat, those baggy's from tesco or foodland are great, better then from the markets. Can we just mix that with water and put in the ricecooker? Maybe some massala powder with it as well, sounds like a plan for tomorrow.

Actually i'm searching for herbs or spicemixes to add to the rice in the cooker. Middle eastern country's or Indians have great mixes for food.

I like the yellow rice which comes with fried onions , guess it's from south Thailand....Usually it comes with a chickenleg

The dish is known as KHAO MOK KAI. Whilst it's often said to be a localised version of the Indian biryani, I rather doubt this. It's more likely to be based upon a Persian dish of meat cooked buried in spiced rice and to have arrived in Thailand during the Ayutthaya period through Persian traders and adopted by the local Moslem community, and from there spread through the whole of Thailand.

The earliest reference to it that I know of is in a poem from the reign of Rama II (reigned 1809 to 1824). I think it's unlikely that at that time there would have been much (if any) southern Thai cuisine in central Thailand, favouring the the idea of its entering Thailand in the central region. Furthermore, most southern Thai dishes are well known as being southern in style. KHAO MOK KAI isn't one of these, but is more generally known as a Moslem dish. So, not particularly associated with the south, though popular there (as with Moslems across the land).

When it comes to flavoured rice, don't forget the best of all: English kedgeree.

I like the yellow rice which comes with fried onions , guess it's from south Thailand....Usually it comes with a chickenleg

The dish is known as KHAO MOK KAI. Whilst it's often said to be a localised version of the Indian biryani, I rather doubt this. It's more likely to be based upon a Persian dish of meat cooked buried in spiced rice and to have arrived in Thailand during the Ayutthaya period through Persian traders and adopted by the local Moslem community, and from there spread through the whole of Thailand.

The earliest reference to it that I know of is in a poem from the reign of Rama II (reigned 1809 to 1824). I think it's unlikely that at that time there would have been much (if any) southern Thai cuisine in central Thailand, favouring the the idea of its entering Thailand in the central region. Furthermore, most southern Thai dishes are well known as being southern in style. KHAO MOK KAI isn't one of these, but is more generally known as a Moslem dish. So, not particularly associated with the south, though popular there (as with Moslems across the land).

When it comes to flavoured rice, don't forget the best of all: English kedgeree.

I thought it was massaman curry or musselman curry but that's another dish. We ate this yellow rice in a mall at the foodcourt and they also had the biryani. Also Roti with another dish but that was not a roti as i know it, more like a danish pastry...roti is a very nice pancake from Surinam for me and comes with potato/chicken/egg/vegy in a currysauce....very nice dish.

My wife said the khao mok kai is expensive to cook because of the herbs used. If it's only turmeric it won't be expensive i guess.

Our favorit curry is coconutmilk with massala/chickenstockcube and then you can boil anything in it and will taste great. We like green beans/ snakebeans in that sauce, and a boiled egg. served with a grilled chicken.

I will google rice-a-rooni....SFrisco also has many Thai living there.

The yellow rice from the shops also is not sticky at all, i wonder what makes it nonstick.

Edited by Thian

Not simple to cook that yellow rice....

Thai Rice Curry with Herbed Chicken:

• 60 ml (2 1/4 fl oz / 1/4 cup) coconut milk
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
  • 4 chicken breasts, skinned and boned
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • 300 g (10 1/2 oz) brown jasmine rice
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp miso paste
  • 4 cardamom pods
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cinnamon stick

For Thai Rice Curry with Herbed Chicken:

1. Heat the coconut milk in a large saucepan or casserole dish which has a lid. Add shallot, garlic and ginger, and cook over a low to medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Add chicken and turn up the heat until it is evenly browned. Add curry powder and turmeric powder and stir well to evenly coat chicken. Add rice, soy sauce and miso paste, and stir well. Pour in 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) water and stir well. Add cardamom pods, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 30-35 minutes or until the rice is cooked and tender. Remove from heat and leave for 10 minutes leaving the lid on. After 10 minutes, fluff the rice with a fork and discard cardamom pods, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Serve rice curry warm with cucumber relish on the side.

So the chickenfat is also in the curry, yes that makes it nonstick i guess.

I will try it soon but first have to find all those ingredients.

Edited by Thian

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-rice-a-roni-24476

Here's the rice-a-roni recipe

DIRECTIONS
  1. In medium skillet saute' broken spaghetti pieces in butter, stirring constantly, until the spaghetti begins to brown.
  2. Add rice, stirring until the rice is well coated with the butter and the spaghetti browns a little more Carefully pour in broth.
  3. Simmer until liquid is absorbed.
INGREDIENTSNutrition