Juicer

sharktooth

Thinking about buying one of these so I can make my own drinks at home. Any experience of buying and using one here? Good brand / model, decent prices, location, ease of cleaning etc, etc...

Quite like the look of the type you see the shops using (masticating???), but know very little of these machines apart from what I've read on the net.

Cheers

• Like 1

The shops I go to use Philips or Tefal Blendforce.

Tefal

http://www.lazada.co.th/tefal-bl-312-blender-175-l-776598.html

Phillips

http://www.lazada.co.th/philips-hr2108-15-1783000.html

Around 1000-1500bht

I have one, a friend bought the other, both work well.

Hardly worth it as my local market sell smoothies for 15bht a cup.

3 or 4 in season fruits ....... yesterday was banana, honey melon, apple.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 2

The shops I go to use Philips or Tefal Blendforce.

Tefal

http://www.lazada.co.th/tefal-bl-312-blender-175-l-776598.html

Phillips

http://www.lazada.co.th/philips-hr2108-15-1783000.html

Around 1000-1500bht

I have one, a friend bought the other, both work well.

Hardly worth it as my local market sell smoothies for 15bht a cup.

3 or 4 in season fruits ....... yesterday was banana, honey melon, apple.

Do they deliver? Your local market, not Lazada....

• Like 2

Some time ago an "expert" juicer told us about the Mamaru MR6302 for 4,000 Baht as being the best value in Thailand. This is a slow juicer (important) and we bought from Power Buy - they had to order it from another branch.

We use our juicer every day for the usual 'green juice' and would recommend it as a low cost model.

The Reboot master 6000 mentioned by Vibe, is a slow juicer using a squeezing screw that rotates at only 60 RPM which avoids oxidizing the juice. The cheaper, fast spinning centrifugal juicers from Philips and Marumaru etc. uses a blade with small knifes that tear/cuts into the produce at about 10.000 RPM. The small juice droplets are thrown off the juicing knife and smashed into the juice container below creating a lot of oxidation. This quickly destroys many enzymes and some of the vitamins and micro nutrients in the juice.

Slow juicers are also a lot more quiet, the yield is higher and it can juice much longer before it needs to be cleaned.

The centrifugal juicers sounds like an airplane and tend to clog up with pulp stuck on the small cutting blades. The cutting blades also tend to get dull after a while and then the juice yield gets even worse.

The slow juicers pulp is dry and they produce about 20-30% more juice yield than a centrifugal juicer with most types of produce.

I also use a Reboot master 6000 with large feeding tube and screw. It cost a bit more than a Philips, but in the long term it saves money because of the higher yield and the quality of the juice is so much better because of the "cold press" way of squeezing the juice out of the produce instead of cutting/tearing at app. 10.000 RPM.

I also use my slow juicer for wheat grass and greens/leafs which is almost impossible to juice in a centrifugal juicer....it comes with an extra blank strainer which I use for making peanut butter and banana ice cream and a smoothie strainer ......I bought mine from http://www.lazada.co.th/reboot-master-6000-juicer-black-1389371.html been working very well for about a year now using it almost daily.....sorry you centrifugal guys but I am just a slow juicer fan ! biggrin.png

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 1

The Reboot master 6000 mentioned by Vibe, is a slow juicer using a squeezing screw that rotates at only 60 RPM which avoids oxidizing the juice. The cheaper, fast spinning centrifugal juicers from Philips and Marumaru etc. uses a blade with small knifes that tear/cuts into the produce at about 10.000 RPM. The small juice droplets are thrown off the juicing knife and smashed into the juice container below creating a lot of oxidation. This quickly destroys many enzymes and some of the vitamins and micro nutrients in the juice.

Slow juicers are also a lot more quiet, the yield is higher and it can juice much longer before it needs to be cleaned.

Sounds like new age (advertising) BS to me!

As for yield, I drink everything I throw in, yield is 100%, so you can't get any more.

PS

You don't clean it every time? ...... that's disgusting.

• Like 2

....using a blender ofcourse you get a yield equal to everything you put in the blender, but that also means you have to drink all the pulp. which can be fine with many kinds of fruit, but try to drink blended stringy/fibrous vegetables processed in a blender...not very pleasant to get all those rough fibres down the throat. Making vegetables a bigger part of the juicing is good as it mean less sugar intake. Sugar in fruit is still sugar.....

When I mentioned yield I was comparing with centrifugal juicers though. Blending and extracting juice is very different......

The other problem with drinking juice from a blender is that for people who want to intake a lot of juice for various reasons, such as juice fasting, detox etc., the fibrous pulp in the blender juice will fill you up quickly and limit the amount of juice that can be consumed = less nutrients consumed.

Last but not least some research reports show that about 80-90% of the pesticides/fungicides stuck on the surface of fruits and vegetables are extruded together with the pulp when using slow juicers such as the Reboot master 6000. This means we only get to consume about 10-20% of the chemicals on the produce. The majority of the chemicals is extruded with the pulp, a serious advantage compared to juice made in blenders and centrifugal juicers; especially here in Thailand where restrictions on spraying seems rather lax. Interested readers can read about this here: http://juicing-for-health.com/minimize-chemicals.html

Sorry, but this is not new age (advertising) BS, but the pure facts.... smile.png

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 1

I honestly don't understand juicing. (I am munching away on my daily bedtime apple whilst typing this.)

After cycling up to Wat Doi Suthep, I'm ready to flop over.

A fruit shake with plenty of sugar has me recovered in minutes and ready for another 30Km.

If you don't exercise to exhaustion, you won't understand.

• Like 1

(I am munching away on my daily bedtime apple whilst typing this.)

That is still the most technologically advanced way to enjoy fruit….juicing only gives you the option to mix juices for more variety.

Plus you can't eat wheatgrass…its vile.

• Like 1

Magic Bullet's ate great,They're cheap, they use whole fruit which is healthier for you and they're easy to clean. Alot of the juicers are a hassle to clean.

will they grind coffee beans?

Good coffee is ground with a burr grinder! Blades heat up and changes flavor, call it Charbucks.

after much deliberation I went for a blender instead. Now with smoothies I can get the goodness of the pulp... However, where can I find big wide straws capable of handling pulp. Tried tesco and Rimping with no luck.

I get them from the markets - any of the shops that sell plastic bags and food containers. Also Makro obviously. They only sell in big packs of I think 100 but they are so cheap it doesn't matter.

Try passion fruit for you smoothies, just passion fruit and ice, a bit of honey or sugar if it's too tart for your taste. I found out by accident that it goes perfectly with Sangson - I bought a small bottle for cooking something, can't remember what but I only needed about half a glass so there was a lot left over. I tried it with some Coke and it was horrible, far too sweet. Then one night it caught my eye whilst making a passion fruit smoothie and it worked perfectly, the tartness of the passion fruit took away the clawing sweetness of the rum.

(Fun fact: you won't get pregnant whilst consuming passion fruit! Melanesian and Polynesian women on the south pacific islands have been using it as a contraceptive for hundreds of years, but about 15 years ago scientists identified some enzyme in it which proves it isn't an old wives tale and you really won't get pregnant if you consume it. I always thought that's how it got the name passion fruit, but I don't think that's the case.)

The centrifugal juicers sounds like an airplane and tend to clog up with pulp stuck on the small cutting blades. The cutting blades also tend to get dull after a while and then the juice yield gets even worse.

The slow juicers pulp is dry and they produce about 20-30% more juice yield than a centrifugal juicer with most types of produce.

I also use a Reboot master 6000 with large feeding tube and screw. It cost a bit more than a Philips, but in the long term it saves money because of the higher yield and the quality of the juice is so much better because of the "cold press" way of squeezing the juice out of the produce instead of cutting/tearing at app. 10.000 RPM.

I also use my slow juicer for wheat grass and greens/leafs which is almost impossible to juice in a centrifugal juicer....it comes with an extra blank strainer which I use for making peanut butter and banana ice cream and a smoothie strainer ......I bought mine from http://www.lazada.co.th/reboot-master-6000-juicer-black-1389371.html been working very well for about a year now using it almost daily.....sorry you centrifugal guys but I am just a slow juicer fan ! biggrin.png

The Mamaru MR6302 is a slow juicer and about half the price of the Reboot 6000 - as I mentioned, it gets used once a day LINK

I drink 1000ml of fresh juice everyday. Its how I get my vitamins

My recipe

4 large tomatoes

4 apples

4 large sticks celery

4 pears

4 peaches

5 carrots

Thumb size piece of fresh ginger

Handful of fresh mint

Bunch of red grapes

This makes me enough juice for 3 days.

Suggest to add Kale to give it that little bit extra 'goodness' - just out of interest, do you find the price of celery expensive here ?

I drink 1000ml of fresh juice everyday. Its how I get my vitamins

My recipe

4 large tomatoes

4 apples

4 large sticks celery

4 pears

4 peaches

5 carrots

Thumb size piece of fresh ginger

Handful of fresh mint

Bunch of red grapes

This makes me enough juice for 3 days.

Suggest to add Kale to give it that little bit extra 'goodness' - just out of interest, do you find the price of celery expensive here ?

Im actually away in the UAE for work right now. Yes, even here its relatively expensive also. No kale for me, Ive got all the vitamins and minerals I need a day and then some, in this mixture. The secret to my mix is the ginger. Still it only costs about $20 US for 3 days juice which is very reasonable.

after much deliberation I went for a blender instead. Now with smoothies I can get the goodness of the pulp... However, where can I find big wide straws capable of handling pulp. Tried tesco and Rimping with no luck.

I get them from the markets - any of the shops that sell plastic bags and food containers. Also Makro obviously. They only sell in big packs of I think 100 but they are so cheap it doesn't matter.

Try passion fruit for you smoothies, just passion fruit and ice, a bit of honey or sugar if it's too tart for your taste. I found out by accident that it goes perfectly with Sangson - I bought a small bottle for cooking something, can't remember what but I only needed about half a glass so there was a lot left over. I tried it with some Coke and it was horrible, far too sweet. Then one night it caught my eye whilst making a passion fruit smoothie and it worked perfectly, the tartness of the passion fruit took away the clawing sweetness of the rum.

(Fun fact: you won't get pregnant whilst consuming passion fruit! Melanesian and Polynesian women on the south pacific islands have been using it as a contraceptive for hundreds of years, but about 15 years ago scientists identified some enzyme in it which proves it isn't an old wives tale and you really won't get pregnant if you consume it. I always thought that's how it got the name passion fruit, but I don't think that's the case.)

Thanks mate. The Rimping I tried was at promenada, but today I tried the rimping at meechock and found perfect smoothie straws.

Mr. Diddy, that manual juicer looks interesting. How is the quality? If you're going to get a slow single gear juicer it seems to me that a well made manual would serve quite nicely.

With centrifugal juicers there are 2 types. The ones that eject the pulp after one pass, and those that keep the pulp in a drum and continue to squeeze out the juice, similar to

the spin cycle of a washing machine pulling out moisture from washed clothing. I've simultaneously owned an Omega drum centrifugal and a slow gear juicer and my experience

was that the drum centrifugal got more juice out than the slow gear, with the caveat that some mushy items, such as tomatoes don't do well in a centrifugal.

The manual machine in the above post can also be used for other purposes such as finely grinding meat to make kabobs. Ooh la la.

Juice quality is very high, less foam then my electric twin gear but it takes effort and there is a weak point at the gear/handle area you gotta watch out for when you ":overfeed" it as the long handle provides alot of torque

• 11 months later...

I have been using an Omega Juicer for many years in the states. It is too heavy to travel overseas, and US model works doesn't work on Thai current,  so last visit here to Thailand I bought a Hamilton (don't recall the model #.} It worked for crap, the pulp was tossed everywhere, and the screen was a bitch to clean.   I love my Omega, easy to clean and a 10 year warranty.  I had one that broke (another story, and not related to  any issue arising form the product), and since  few months later I was driving fairly close to their headquarters in Pennsylvania I stopped by. They were able to check if the warranty was still in effect by just looking at the serial number on the bottom, fund it was still in effect, and just simply gave me a new machine.10 minutes in an out. WOW!!!! I am a customer for life. The machine cleans very easy, only gripe is prep time can be a bit much as veggies need to be cut small. Total prep time for 3 large servings not less than 20 minutes from start to clean up, but just accept it.  

I spoke to the company rep and he assured e the model available for sale in SE Asia is compatible with the electrical wiring, and now that I am here long term, I will seek to get one here. Yes, is expensive, about $280. But it is a dependable workhorse.  BTW, I am a physician in USA and can tell you I have no concerns about the sugar content in veggie juices.

Before I bought the Hamilton, I had a manual i brought over from the states. The suction cups didn't stay adhered to the surface, so I had a guy in Thailand cut me a square foot of tin, glued the manual juicer to it and clamped the ti sheet down to a table with vices. I soon grew to hate it. It took an extremely amount of work to manually juice any decent quantity. A waste of time and effort, so you might want to re-consider if you are thinking of going manual.

Edited by edwarda909
mispell