Juicer

sharktooth

I will eventually be looking for a juicer that is best suited to making vegetable juice (similar to V-8 juice in the USA) and although pricy the 6000 model seems to do a good job at this task.

On 1/7/2017 at 3:15 PM, jobin said:

You won't get all the vitamins your body needs from fruits and veg alone.  Drop into your blender some red meat, eggs, fish, etc.  Even nutritional yeast may work...but do check it out. 

I'm not kidding.

Wheatgrass juice helps, but a sprinkle of spirulina would be better and still a veggie.

Contrary to the many rumors, there are no reliable, unfortified plant sources of vitamin B12, including tempeh, seaweeds, and organic produce.

From this website  http://veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

Vegans need to either take a vitamin D supplement or drink soy milk fortified with vitamin D. Most vegans need to take a vitamin B-12 supplement to get 2.4 micrograms per day since the vitamin is mainly found in animal products. Some soy milk and breakfast cereals are fortified with B-12.

From http://www.livestrong.com/article/482780-disadvantages-of-being-vegan/

Spirulina does not contain vitamin B12 naturally (see table), and spirulina supplements are not considered to be a reliable source of vitamin B12, as they contain predominantly pseudovitamin B12, which is biologically inactive in humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_(dietary_supplement)

So, if living on plant juices alone then vitamin deficiencies will be in your future.  Cure: Eat some animal foods, take a vitamin pill, or buy foods supplemented with needed vitamins.

And the benefits of wheatgrass juice are nothing but hearsay wrapped in a green leaf.  I'm not saying it's bad but nor is it especially beneficial.  Mostly is hyper-advertising and gullible consumers.

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2017 at 9:03 AM, edwarda909 said:

I have been using an Omega Juicer for many years in the states. It is too heavy to travel overseas, and US model works doesn't work on Thai current,  so last visit here to Thailand I bought a Hamilton (don't recall the model #.} It worked for crap, the pulp was tossed everywhere, and the screen was a bitch to clean.   I love my Omega, easy to clean and a 10 year warranty.  I had one that broke (another story, and not related to  any issue arising form the product), and since  few months later I was driving fairly close to their headquarters in Pennsylvania I stopped by. They were able to check if the warranty was still in effect by just looking at the serial number on the bottom, fund it was still in effect, and just simply gave me a new machine.10 minutes in an out. WOW!!!! I am a customer for life. The machine cleans very easy, only gripe is prep time can be a bit much as veggies need to be cut small. Total prep time for 3 large servings not less than 20 minutes from start to clean up, but just accept it.  

I spoke to the company rep and he assured e the model available for sale in SE Asia is compatible with the electrical wiring, and now that I am here long term, I will seek to get one here. Yes, is expensive, about $280. But it is a dependable workhorse.  BTW, I am a physician in USA and can tell you I have no concerns about the sugar content in veggie juices.

It's a bit of an old thread but I was wondering if you were able to find Omega juicers in Bangkok. I have been using the 8005 here in Canada for way more than a decade with about a 2 year hiatus. It is a tank. I have never had a hiccup with it and the juice is great with very little foam. Easy clean up too.It would be great to be able to buy one for my 4 or 5 months in Thailand.

One thing I worry about though is that when eating that volume of veggies and fruit everyday in Thailand, you had better know the source of the produce and the farming practices used. You could be ingesting huge amounts of pesticides if you don't. I remember last year a report that showed a level of some pesticide used on fruits and veggies somewhere in the south to be 44 times the EU limit. To back up these findings they went back and looked at chicken eggs in that region which is a very reliable method of verification , and the results were substantiated.

Although I prefer keeping the fiber by using a blender, but I've been wondering if standard juicer output (naturally flavored liquid fruit sugar) would be good for experimenting with wine fermentation. I'm fermenting my own wines because store-bought wine in Chiang Mai is a very bad value compared to where I grew up in California (quality and cost). And the natural grape juice one gets here is unfortunately diluted from actual real grape juice strength (e.g., Malee - about 25 grams of sugar per 200 ml). I have a Lom Yai ferment going now, and first sample seems pretty good (if one likes a Merlot-like tannic taste).

• 4 months later...

Juicers make it very easy to make fresh juice fast. This feature really comes in handy with making juice in the morning when you are in a rush.

They often have a pulp ejector that goes into a pulp container so you can easily toss the pulp.There also are easy to clean and sometimes even are self cleaning depending on the model you get.

Depending on what you are juicing, you will want to clean it right after use, so you don’t get stains and if it is self cleaning this cuts down a lot of time.

On 8/14/2018 at 1:18 PM, SometimezaGreatNotion said:

Although I prefer keeping the fiber by using a blender, but I've been wondering if standard juicer output (naturally flavored liquid fruit sugar) would be good for experimenting with wine fermentation. I'm fermenting my own wines because store-bought wine in Chiang Mai is a very bad value compared to where I grew up in California (quality and cost). And the natural grape juice one gets here is unfortunately diluted from actual real grape juice strength (e.g., Malee - about 25 grams of sugar per 200 ml). I have a Lom Yai ferment going now, and first sample seems pretty good (if one likes a Merlot-like tannic taste).

How did that go?