Tourism fair at Lumphini Park draws over half a million visitors

webfact

Tourism fair at Lumphini Park draws over half a million visitors

130109-1-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tourism Authority of Thailand says the 36th Thailand Tourism Festival 2016, the biggest annual event held to boost the Thai tourism, had successfully attracted more than 670,000 visitors and generated more than 300 million baht.

The five-day festival held last week at the iconic Lumphini Park in Bangkok successfully captured tourists’ interests as they got to experience a glimpse into the harmonious mix of Thai cultures and quintessential Thai ways of life with unique cultures and vibrant local fair from across the country, it said.

Visitors’ spending was reportedly increased up to 35 percent compared to the 2015’s event.

Most spendings went to indigenous food and beverages, followed by arts and crafts from across Thailand.

The most visited area was the cultural village zone, which featured tourism products from the five regions of Thailand.

The area featured distinctive landmarks, indigenous food and crafts and cultural performances.

Visitors said in the questionnaires that destinations they likely visit this year are Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Krabi and Prachuap Khiri Khan, Kanchana Buri, Loei, Surat Thani, Chon Buri and Phuket.

TAT believed the event will provide inspirations for tourists and travelers, while stimulate more domestic travel and disperse greater tourism revenue to all parts of the country this year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/147348

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-20

I would have no problem believing the half a million visitors based on my visit on Saturday.

And many kiosks had pretty long lines of people waiting to spend their money...

A little crowded for my taste, and geared more to locals than foreign tourists, but I'd say it was a very successful venue regardless of my personal slant.

so to summarise - TAT has a fresh new strategy -

1-Visit more beaches and temples

2-Watch more Thai dancing

3-Eat more Thai food

4- Buy more OTOP products

They forgot Watch more Muay Thai boxing,

"Most spendings went to indigenous food and beverages, followed by arts and crafts from across Thailand.

The most visited area was the cultural village zone, which featured tourism products from the five regions of Thailand.

The area featured distinctive landmarks, indigenous food and crafts and cultural performances.

Visitors said in the questionnaires that destinations they likely visit this year are Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Krabi and Prachuap Khiri Khan, Kanchana Buri, Loei, Surat Thani, Chon Buri and Phuket.

TAT believed the event will provide inspirations for tourists and travelers, while stimulate more domestic travel and disperse greater tourism revenue to all parts of the country this year."

I can't recall in my memory of TAT ever saying anything about tourist numbers falling for any reason. I think the TAT committee just gets together, throws a bunch of numbers in a hat and draws one. "Ah ha, here we go, 670,000 tourists, 300 million baht, looks good to me. All in favor, raise your hand. Good job, here's your monthly paycheck." coffee1.gif