Light weight bike or scooter

Boatman37210

I certainly do like the price on the base Wave. Is the 35,000 model available through all dealers or is there a specific dealer I need to see? I'm located about 90 minutes east of Bangkok.

That model is available in every district and sub-district of Thailand.

If you go for the Dream 110, then I think the only options are kick start or kick start and electric start. Oh and colour of course.

If you go for the Wave 125, then there are more choices, as above plus mag wheels or spoke wheels. I think all new Waves are now front disc brake.

I believe the Wave 110 has been discontinued but it may be a temporary break and models may still be in the showroom from the last production run.

Wha?

Wave110 d/c'd.

Global best seller.

Sceptical.

There is the Dream 110 which is the same basically.

On their website, it is no longer listed as a current model. So they may be selling off the older stock before relaunching it (yet again) as the latest Wave 110 (with new plastic moulding).

So, I too am sceptical that it has ended permanently. It will be back.

Wave 110i page is HERE.

Drum brake models are still being shown. Scan through the available colors and you will see them.

The drum brake version is shown as available in black or red.

Indeed note the white circle at top right which says PAST MODEL.

^^^ I tried several different browsers and I don't see the white circle.

My vote for the light weight scooter goes to the Yamaha GT125. Seems to be about 10K฿ cheaper than the Honda Click. I don't need or want combined brakes or idling-stop.

I own a Yamaha GT125 and it is a fantastic bike, especially when you are looking at the price comparison to other small bikes.

I paid more for my Honda Wave 110i than I did for my GT125. The Wave is a legendary machine, but I much prefer the Yamaha GT125.

More power and much better handling and stability. Excellent brakes and the LED headlight works amazingly well. Lots of room under the seat and on the flat floor board area.

Amazing bike for very little money.

I bought a new Wave for my brother-in-law 2 or 3 weeks ago, from a small dealer in Khon Kaen and they had 4 in stock, drum brakes, kick start, 110cc injection engine 35,000 bhat. Red and black or black and black.

Graphics were a bit sparse compared to the one we bought 5 years ago and we only paid 34,000 baht.

I thought the Wave was a better bike than the Dream and Cub, but I could be wrong.

I am quite anti-Japanese, but the Wave is the best bike on the planet, as a piece of engineering it is close to perfect IMO. Honda are fools if they mess with it.

Did I mention that when I first bought it I measured fuel consumption over the first two months, 204impg 50% town riding 50% countryside. 91 gasahol.

Edited by AllanB

Big bikes are not stable at low speed, it will be over in no time. Bin that idea.

I really dislike Harleys, they way they look, and the noise, just like kids trying to make noise.

Agree with you about Harleys but disagree about stability of big bikes at low speed.

My bike back in the states was a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic. I could ride it at 3-5 mp/h (5-8 km/h for my metric friends) with no stability problems at all. It is just a matter of handling technique. That is actually a basic skill requirement you have to pass to get a motorcycle license in Texas (and most of the rest of the US). Strangely enough, I have found that using the same techniques with smaller bikes like my current Honda CB300F and my prior Honda Wave 125i keep them very stable as well.

This video below gives you a brief overview of the Motorcycle Safety Course that is required before you can get a motorcycle license in Texas. I really wish they had a program like this in Thailand and not just for Thais.

Just my thoughts based on my experience. Your mileage may vary (no pun intended).

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prR20YZtPGU

The big advantage of bikes like the Vulcan and Harleys is they have a low centre of gravity and low seat height, meaning that you can tip them a long way before they go, they are more stable and easier to control, given their weight. But neither are in any way suitable for town use and are certainly neither lightweight nor scooters.

So this junction is a bit of a dead end for the OP.

Did I mention that when I first bought it I measured fuel consumption over the first two months, 204impg 50% town riding 50% countryside. 91 gasahol.

Your bike or your brother in law? What are the fuel consumption in metric measures?