Fire near Mercure Hotel

Tywais

No, from the video and other mentions on Facebook, it seems Tanin market wasn't involved. It's that smaller market, closer to the north gate.

We were smelling smoke all evening from our condo on Huey Kaew and thinking maybe burning season had started already. This must have been the source. Hope no one was injured.

No, from the video and other mentions on Facebook, it seems Tanin market wasn't involved. It's that smaller market, closer to the north gate.

We were smelling smoke all evening from our condo on Huey Kaew and thinking maybe burning season had started already. This must have been the source. Hope no one was injured.

Thanks, Nancy. We, too, were smelling smoke and wondering. We'll keep our fingers crossed for those at this market. It really does a booming business every morning.

I'm glad Tannin Market wasn't involved. I shop there every day and have made some nice acquaintances with the vendors.

The market is 100% destroyed. :-( The building to the rear and left - assuming you face the market from the Mercure - is also gutted, looks like something out of a scene from Beirut. A lot of poor souls lost their livelihoods last night.

Edited by TheSiemReaper

Thanks, Nancy. We, too, were smelling smoke and wondering. We'll keep our fingers crossed for those at this market. It really does a booming business every morning.

I'm glad Tannin Market wasn't involved. I shop there every day and have made some nice acquaintances with the vendors.

My favorite salad bar is there. We go twice a week.

Fire razes clothe markets in Chiang Mai, no injuries and deaths found

CHIANG MAI, 25 January 2016 (NNT) - A fire broke out at a row of stalls selling shoes, clothes and other articles at Chotana Plaza in Chang Phuak subdistrict, Muang Chiang Mai district in front of Novotel Hotel late on Saturday night, police said.

The fire started at about 10.10 p.m. and quickly spread to engulf the the entire row of about 40 vending stalls roofed with corrugated sheet.

Initially, three fire trucks from Tambon Chang Phuak Municipality responded, but could not control the fire. After calling for backup from a nearby local administrative agency, the fire was brought under control within an hour.

Preliminary inspection revealed that Ms. Tuangtip Tansuwat was the owner of approximately 3 rais and allocated the area for commercial purposes. All the stalls were damaged by the fire, along with a nearby building. Most of the affected business operators also do not have insurance.

Police were investigating to establish what caused the fire and where it started. Authorities currently believe that an electrical short circuit had caused the fire.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-25 footer_n.gif

I don't know CM well, so have a very simple map in my head of the areas I've been to. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like there's a market fire there with alarming frequency. Are there a gazillion markets there, or just a few main ones?

Something in me is getting suspicious about it, as in "business is slow so we'll 'lose' the business, and who cares if we destroy the livelihood of 40 other families in the vicinity".

This is probably the most negative commentary I've ever posted on TVF and usually try to edit myself, though this thought increases each time I read of a fire in a market area.

we will have to put it down to electricity again most likely a short circuit , I feel sorry for the people who were not insured .

May be Mafia way to collect more bahts to show other what can happen if they do not pay. If they do not have insurance which i can not believe. So maybe get new building, stalls and both the owners and Mafia happy!

we will have to put it down to electricity again most likely a short circuit , I feel sorry for the people who were not insured .

May be Mafia way to collect more bahts to show other what can happen if they do not pay. If they do not have insurance which i can not believe. So maybe get new building, stalls and both the owners and Mafia happy!

:lol: