gold colored stainless steel

Dirk_brijs

It's called PVD coating. Several companies do this in Thailand, but as far as I know all on an industrial scale. Your normal stainless welder at the corner wouldn't know what it is.

But why stainless steel? Normal electroplated steel should be ok for most purposes. Certainly a lot cheaper and likely easier to organize. And a warning; the stainless you find at most shops is shit.

What and why you are trying to achieve, is slightly strange.

Stainless steel is, by it's nature non magnetic, and therefore does not electroplate very well.

An earlier poster mentioned a nickel steel, which from memory is 400 series (AISI). This would probably be more suitable.

But where can you buy it in Thailand? They will all offer you 18/8, which is AISI 304 and not suitable.

the process to make stainless steel gold is called anodizing, I have never seen it at any of the many Stainless steel fabricators in This country, but they order there raw stock from Bangkok, so there is a slim possibility that the manufacturer can do it, but it will be very costly

the process to make stainless steel gold is called anodizing, I have never seen it at any of the many Stainless steel fabricators in This country, but they order there raw stock from Bangkok, so there is a slim possibility that the manufacturer can do it, but it will be very costly

No, it is not anodised, anodising is an electrochemical process that does not work well with Stainless steel.

The process they use to colour stainless is PVD, Physical Vapour Deposition and you can have a range of colours, gold, bronze, blue, red.

Go to any of the companies that make stainless gates, obviously they will have the gold colour adornments that they use in their decorative gates, some will also have tubes in the same coulours.

Stainless can be anodised but very few people do it. I bit of a dark science I hear and radically different process than that of anodizing alloy..

I learnt the other day one can powdercoat wood.. wonders will never cease.

Stainless can be anodised but very few people do it. I bit of a dark science I hear and radically different process than that of anodizing alloy..

Sure, stainless can be anodized, the same as you could anodize a piece of cardboard or your dog. But it won't have the tough and scratch resistant properties of anodized aluminum, as the process is completely different. No, on stainless it is best to use PVD, as said before.

Sure, stainless can be anodized, the same as you could anodize a piece of cardboard or your dog. But it won't have the tough and scratch resistant properties of anodized aluminum, as the process is completely different. No, on stainless it is best to use PVD, as said before.

Look guys...you guys could both be right or both be wrong or whatever. The more important thing to do is educate the OP that gold plating stainless is just a plain a simple stupid idea. The whole point of using stainless steel is that it is you can use it without paint or plating. Using mild steel or aluminum would be a much better alternative. They are cheaper and designed to take plating (steel) or anodizing (aluminum)

Look guys...you guys could both be right or both be wrong or whatever. The more important thing to do is educate the OP that gold plating stainless is just a plain a simple stupid idea. The whole point of using stainless steel is that it is you can use it without paint or plating. Using mild steel or aluminum would be a much better alternative. They are cheaper and designed to take plating (steel) or anodizing (aluminum)

The OP was not looking to gold plate stainless, simply looking for gold coloured stainless.

The OP was not looking to gold plate stainless, simply looking for gold coloured stainless.

I did not mean gold (Au) plate necessarily. I meant apply a process to make the metal gold colored.