KTM 690 SMC R

SS1

Hey guys,

When I first moved to Bangkok I promised myself that I'll be using public transport as the traffic looked so crazy. Well, that lasted a week as I got tired of walking to the MRT and I was already on the way to the bike shop and got me a PCX 150. That's when I promised myself that it's definitely enough for Bangkok and I won't get myself a big bike.. well well biggrin.png after being here for 6 months I'm really starting to miss a proper ride. The PCX is useless for anywhere further than inside Bangkok and feels like it's about to break every time I ride it over a pot hole.

What do you think about the KTM 690 SMC, are there many owners here in Thailand? The prices at least are outrageous, but when you want something specific you must get it. I would speculate that such a rare bike is quite easy to sell afterwards, as the new price of 689,000 will probably put many off buying a new one. If I'd get one, I would only consider second hand. Are there many around? I've seen a couple sold on Bahtsold but not too many. Ideally, I would want a 2014 version with ABS brakes.

I think this bike would be agile enough for the Bangkok traffic, awesome for track days and great for little adventures to national parks occasionally. I used to have a KTM 690SM Prestige (2007) a few years ago back in Farangland, which I sold later and got a KTM 990 Super duke. Damn I miss that bike! Naturally the next upgrade would be a 1290 Super Duke R - anyone have 1.3 million to borrow? wink.png

Anyone here with a 690 SMC?

Edit. forgot to ask.. Wonder if there would be problems with overheating in Bangkok?

Edited by SS1

Not not many around, they are simply too expensive for what you get. but perhaps poster brams have heard something?

If I was you, I would look for another brand, Triumph Tiger, Africa twin from Honda of something like that.

Okay they will also be difficult to find used now.

I read in another forum that KTM got a new person "owing" the imports rights.

KTM has perhaps pulled the plug on the old importer because of his crazy prices.

So there is still hope that we will see much lower prices in the near future.

KTM has perhaps pulled the plug on the old importer because of his crazy prices.

Interesting.. the prices here are criminal. Makes me want to cry when I look at the prices in Belgium where I used to live. Could get a fully equipped 2015 model SMC R with full akrapovic exhaust and other kit, with 5000km on the odo for 300,000 baht :/

I would hate buying one new as well as not only you pay a lot to start with, but you will spend another 100k for aftermarket parts. Usually with second hand you get the most important bits already added. No one likes riding around with the heavy stock exaust for instance..

Could you PM me a link to that article?

Edited by SS1

I also heard from a relable source that the previous owner of the import rights (Franchise owner for Thailand) was only interested in lining his own pockets....which he did rather well based on shop prices.

A friend in Chiang Mai (Where I live) was looking at opening a KTM franchise here but after having a meeting with this 'person' decided that the guy was a prat of the highest order. Apparently he wasnt interested in having a farang open an outlet here and even less interetsed in questions pertaining to servicing and customer support.

One can only hope that the new 'owner' of KTM imports sees fit to adjust prices to a more acceptable level. Apparently KTMs in India are but a fraction of current prices here. However in saying that the Thai Govt tax and excise department may have a lot to do with that.

I hope that one day, perhaps Honda Thailand will decide to release say a CRF 450 motard. Now that would sell like hotcakes around the expat community. Or a real dream would be something like a CRF450 rally (Google that) and kit it out for the street.

Ive seen a 2008 KTM640 LC4 for sale on Kaidee at just 78k baht....import papers only. Damn it, looked to be a great motard too

I also heard from a relable source that the previous owner of the import rights (Franchise owner for Thailand) was only interested in lining his own pockets....which he did rather well based on shop prices.

A friend in Chiang Mai (Where I live) was looking at opening a KTM franchise here but after having a meeting with this 'person' decided that the guy was a prat of the highest order. Apparently he wasnt interested in having a farang open an outlet here and even less interetsed in questions pertaining to servicing and customer support.

One can only hope that the new 'owner' of KTM imports sees fit to adjust prices to a more acceptable level. Apparently KTMs in India are but a fraction of current prices here. However in saying that the Thai Govt tax and excise department may have a lot to do with that.

I hope that one day, perhaps Honda Thailand will decide to release say a CRF 450 motard. Now that would sell like hotcakes around the expat community. Or a real dream would be something like a CRF450 rally (Google that) and kit it out for the street.

Ive seen a 2008 KTM640 LC4 for sale on Kaidee at just 78k baht....import papers only. Damn it, looked to be a great motard too

That sounds great - hopefully they will put the prices to a normal level. Thanks for mentioning that site "Kaidee" by the way, never showed up on Google when searching for KTMs! So many more over there compared to Bahtsold.

Nice bike the 690, if it wasn't for the price here...Still there is always the Versys:-)

Sure thing and Versys looks nice too! However two completely different animals in my opinion.

KTM: 690cc single cylinder, 66hp/68Nm torque (+70 with Akra pipe on), dry weight only 139kg and even less when you get rid of the stock exhaust.

Versys: 650cc v-twin , 69hp/64 Nm torque, dry weight +190kg.

The 690 SMC R would still classify as a real supermoto, a complete hooligan machine. The Versys on the other hand, seems more like and adventure/travel bike. If I was going to get something of that type, I'd rather go for a second hand KTM 990 SMR that is around similar weight but has 130hp (with Akra's and ecu tuned properly). wink.png

Although Kaidee is a purely Thai site if you access it thru Chrome then it can translate it for you.

Magic site even still and I agree....more to see than Baht Sold

Just found out this site as well, looks like there are even more bikes than on Kaidee: http://mocyc.com/market.html

They don't seem to spend much time on SEO for English keywords!

• 4 months later...

Nice bike the 690, if it wasn't for the price here...Still there is always the Versys:-)

Sure thing and Versys looks nice too! However two completely different animals in my opinion.

KTM: 690cc single cylinder, 66hp/68Nm torque (+70 with Akra pipe on), dry weight only 139kg and even less when you get rid of the stock exhaust.

Versys: 650cc v-twin , 69hp/64 Nm torque, dry weight +190kg.

The 690 SMC R would still classify as a real supermoto, a complete hooligan machine. The Versys on the other hand, seems more like and adventure/travel bike. If I was going to get something of that type, I'd rather go for a second hand KTM 990 SMR that is around similar weight but has 130hp (with Akra's and ecu tuned properly). wink.png

I wouldn't really call the 690 a real supermoto- you never see them races etc. And it is very different to the 450cc MX bikes with slicks on, and as mentioned it is silly money here (for a glorified dirt bike).

Why not look at the Ducati Hypermotard 821, it is a pretty good compromise between an outright motard and a decent road bike, or even the Yammie MT09?

Still - way, way, way better choices for big bike buyers in Thailand now than 10 years ago.

I wouldn't really call the 690 a real supermoto- you never see them races etc. And it is very different to the 450cc MX bikes with slicks on, and as mentioned it is silly money here (for a glorified dirt bike).

Why not look at the Ducati Hypermotard 821, it is a pretty good compromise between an outright motard and a decent road bike, or even the Yammie MT09?

Still - way, way, way better choices for big bike buyers in Thailand now than 10 years ago.

No I agree, you wouldn't ever see them in actual SM races. That Ducati is nice too, but heavy compared to the SMC-R which is now just slightly more expensive second hand. If I wanted to have that type of bike I would rather go for a KTM 990SMR. It's quite to hard to find here though, only 5 in Thailand apparently.

Anyways already bought the SMC-R and very happy with the purchase! Just writing this from Kanchanaburi, on a bike trip here for the weekend. I also find it a smooth ride in the Bangkok traffic; agile enough to zigzag through cars and you find new shortcuts which werent accessible on the PCX 150 before biggrin.png

post-202656-0-69419200-1465656211_thumb.

post-202656-0-36019900-1465656227_thumb.

Edited by SS1

No I agree, you wouldn't ever see them in actual SM races. That Ducati is nice too, but heavy compared to the SMC-R which is now just slightly more expensive second hand. If I wanted to have that type of bike I would rather go for a KTM 990SMR. It's quite to hard to find here though, only 5 in Thailand apparently.

Anyways already bought the SMC-R and very happy with the purchase! Just writing this from Kanchanaburi, on a bike trip here for the weekend. I also find it a smooth ride in the Bangkok traffic; agile enough to zigzag through cars and you find new shortcuts which werent accessible on the PCX 150 before biggrin.png

Wow - looks mean, and I am super jealous :D

Ride safe and make sure you take good care of her!