New PM Wants To Quit As Soon As Possible

george

I want to quit as soon as possible : PM

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Thursday he wanted to quit the post as soon as possible but first wanted to be certain of the people's opinion on the new constitution, judicial reform and general improvement in moral standards.

Surayud was speaking at meeting on a project for the Foundation of Statesman General Prem Tinsulanonda.

He said PM's Office Minister Thirapat Serirangsan on Tuesday said the interim government would have to work for one year and five months before an elected government is formed instead of one year as originally thought.

The acting leader of the Thai Rak Thai Party Chaturon Chaisaeng on Wednesday warned the interim government to think carefully about the length of its time in office as the longer it clung on, the more pressure it would have to face.

"I don't want to carry on with this job. Since the Army chief talked to me, to be straight I don't want to handle this job more than is necessary, so I want to complete it as soon as possible," Surayud said.

"I want a new government to come from a people's election to administer the country correctly. I also hope to see a good government continuing the work that this interim government has set for the future. My way is not so complex, just learn from the past to improve the present and make a better future. Simply as that."

He said he wasn't sure how long his government would need to finish its work, but he wanted to make it as short as possible.

Surayud said he would ask people to comment on the new constitution, improve the judicial process and promote a moral society.

--The Nation 2006-10-19

The Prime Minister says he will accomplish his task in as short period as possible

Gen. Surayud Chulanont said he will try his best to wrap up the assigned task as the Prime Minister of Thailand as fast as possible.

Speaking in response to an interview given by a minister who said the interim government is likely to stay upto 17 months, instead of 12 months, General Surayud said he does not want to unnecessarily carry on the burden. He asserted that he also wants an elected government to take over the administration as soon as possible.

He said this government has a working concept to learn from past experiences and use them to improve the existing work. As for the drafting of the new constitution, the Prime Minister wants greater public participation through their expression of opinions, rather than leaving the government to give the direction.

He reassured that he will bow out as soon as his task is completed.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 October 2006