tips for a begginer in Thailand, culture diff., dating ...

Matej

I have never understood why some men on this forum have such a strange aversion to dating websites.

It's because they are mainly populated by the socially inept from the west.

And by the 'you know what' from the east.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In 15+ years here. I have never met a single woman here that wanted anything financial from me. I just don't hang out with gold diggers or social climbers.

And from your 'Police crackdown thread'

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/890658-police-crackdown/?p=10363638

I have been away for a few months and just got nailed because I didn't have a Thai driver's license or an International drivers license. I have my home country license which has always been fine.

I cannot get a Thai license because I am on a tourist visa for the next 3 weeks. I cannot get an international license here. I just don't want to pay fines every time I need to go to the store to get something.

Been here 15 years? ..... but still on a tourist VISA, and no Thai driving licence?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

"Imperialism, really?

I lost money, because I was trying to help ..."

yes, that is imperialism. You come with a superior sense of privilege and think that others need your help. Would you just go give money to girls that you know back home? Who do you try to help financially in your own country?

This is the mindset you seem to be in "I'm in a 3rd world country and I need to help these people have a better life especially since I love her and her family."

I like many people and find them to be honest and hard working, I still don't give people money. Neither do I ever ask for it.

Do whatever you want, make friendships with whoever you want but don't equate all Thai women to village girls or bar girls looking for a ladder to elevate themselves. These gospels on Thai women and dating are pure tripe built on stereotypes and personal agendas written by jaded and cynical people.

If you want to find someone that you can relate to and contributes equally to the relationship, then stop doing whatever you are doing.

In 15+ years here. I have never met a single woman here that wanted anything financial from me. I just don't hang out with gold diggers or social climbers.

Join a club, sports team, start a hobby, take a class and you will find like minded people. Lots of my friends join biking clubs and a few have met their partners there.

Thanks for your comprehensive analysis.

I'll try to cut my neoimperialism attitude off.

And now serious ...

Did I ask how to find a decent girl? No! So save your advice for someone else. Your comment is off-topic.

Stereotypes? Read your comment again if you want to see some.

"Private Dancer is the bible as far as relationships are concerned."

Sorry but books on dating prostitutes shouldn't be a bible for dating. How Jaded are all of you.

You lost money because you came here with an imperialist attitude and a savior complex. If you treat local women the same as you would back home, then you wouldn't have lost any money. Date women with your social and educational background and stop trying to go "pretty woman" turning prostitutes into socialites.

If you really want to watch movies that represent the culture: Fan Shan(modern love story/friendship), Suriyothai (historical) Sukothai is pretty good also, Nang Nak(ghost movie) I don't do the comedies or the horror/comedies but you will understand their sense of humor more.

Reading books written by foreigners explaining dating, culture, etc. will only give you a jaded experience. Watch what the locals watch, listen to the music they listen to.

Zeichen gets it.

After five years in TH, Ive concluded things are really not as different as I thought they were when I first arrived. Sure, a lot of the attitude and many of the customs are different. But all the same kinds of people within your community back home exist here too. The percentages might not be the same, but theyre all here, and they usually have the same or similar values. A girl that works at a salon and part-times as a hooker is gonna be the same headache she was back in your country.

That being said, OP you should understand middle class girls and girls from wealthier families are not as inclined to date foreigners, and youre more likely to attract what equates to low class women (although they may be a bit more attractive than their western counterparts). You can still pull classy women as a foreigner, but it takes a bit of effort and proving yourself.

Edited by eldragon

You met your beloved on a dating website, do you not mean she found you there ?

Socially inept, you had to advertise your worth to a pack of scavengers.

But, you are happy, who am I to argue ?

No. We met each other there. What makes you think she's a scavenger?

Exactamundo!clap2.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Since the “boy meets girl” social options tend to diminish, as people grow older, then age-appropriate website dating, becomes more comprehensible.

That website social medium best holds true, among the demographic of mature “golden agers”, seeking possible companionship, from within their own generation.

DUNCAN

I see now that you're depressed. And this is quite serious.

You most recent thread was titled: Admitting Defeat. That doesn't exactly convey a positive tone, does it?

You ask the question: "but you are happy, who am I to argue?"

Duncan, why would you wish to argue? Why would you even care? Why would you give a toss about my girlfriend and I, or how we met?

Seek advice, Duncan. I strongly encourage you to send a PM to Sheryl. Discuss your circumstances with her in private. She will listen to you.

Depression is far more common than most people realize. And you'll find that expats here in Thailand are generally very sympathetic.

Have a good weekend.

And from your 'Police crackdown thread'

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/890658-police-crackdown/?p=10363638

I have been away for a few months and just got nailed because I didn't have a Thai driver's license or an International drivers license. I have my home country license which has always been fine.

I cannot get a Thai license because I am on a tourist visa for the next 3 weeks. I cannot get an international license here. I just don't want to pay fines every time I need to go to the store to get something.

Been here 15 years? ..... but still on a tourist VISA, and no Thai driving licence?

I know that you are a troll, but I will bite. I left the country and am now back for a few weeks before going abroad again. No I don't currently have a Thai license, but I never said in that thread that I didn't have one. I never said that I was on a tourist visa for those 15 years either. So please tell me why any of that thread applies to this discussion?

"What about the 10% with Thai Chinese wives with managerial jobs and PhDs?"

What does it matter what someone else marries? Why do you doubt people?

There are 1000's and 1000's of Thais with Phd, so why can't TV members be married to them? Why can't TV members be married to Middle and Upper class locals?

The jaded view of posters here is really sad.

I am married to what you might call a "middle class local", she has been in the same job since she left college, and I was no more than working class back in the UK.

I would hate to think any of my views are "really sad". I respect the biggest majority of TV members views, and would hope they respect mine, even if they don't agree with them.

Here in lies the problem. If you were married to a woman from your home country, would you need to justify your wife's background in a public forum?

People that introduce their wife with her degree and title and job in the first breath, are still a part of the problem.

There are 1000's and 1000's of Thais with Phd, so why can't TV members be married to them? Why can't TV members be married to Middle and Upper class locals?

I am married to what you might call a "middle class local", she has been in the same job since she left college, and I was no more than working class back in the UK.

I would hate to think any of my views are "really sad". I respect the biggest majority of TV members views, and would hope they respect mine, even if they don't agree with them.

Here in lies the problem. If you were married to a woman from your home country, would you need to justify your wife's background in a public forum?

People that introduce their wife with her degree and title and job in the first breath, are still a part of the problem.

This place is a bit like a game of wife Top Trumps sometimes. Weight, age, and whiteness of skin are other popular categories to play.

This place is a bit like a game of wife Top Trumps sometimes. Weight, age, and whiteness of skin are other popular categories to play.

Mines got a 18'6 wing span and 567mph top speed...!

Although the message of Thailand Fever is sound, I think it's a bit dated now. No mention of mobiles and the internet springs to mind....

A far as books go, 'Letters from Thailand' springs to mind.

In my opinion the best book about the immigrant experience in Thailand ever written.

Putting aside the fact that the main character is a Chinese guy arriving after the second world war. There are so many passages that are still so relevant to Thailand today. It gives a real insight into Thai people and the foreigners' perception of them.

The book was originally banned when published but later became compulsory reading in high school.

Written by a graduate of Chulalongkorn.

The best book about Thailand ever written!

Something like private dancer is so shallow in comparison.

Part of what problem?? besides How can I answer the post without introducing my wife whether it's the first breath or not. Some posterscheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Maybe, but I was just answering a post.

I know that you are a troll, but I will bite. I left the country and am now back for a few weeks before going abroad again. No I don't currently have a Thai license, but I never said in that thread that I didn't have one. I never said that I was on a tourist visa for those 15 years either. So please tell me why any of that thread applies to this discussion?

Most people who live here manage to get a Thai driving license.

If you don't have one, you're a beginner.

Not the Thai cultural expert you claim to be.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

90% of TV members have a hi-so wife or g/f, not met on a dating website, so you should get some good info here !

i met my Wife on a dating site.................10 years ago, she now supports me totally so stop talking out yer ar*e
10 years of being supported by a woman in a developing country? What a loser!!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I have just finished writing a book for expat's living here and Asia Books have picked it up (my second with them). If you can wait a month or so, I recommend it. Written by an expat who has lived here for 32 years and is fluent in the language. It leaves no stone unturned and is very informative.

Living in The Kingdom: The essential Expat's guide to living in Thailand

coming soon ...........

Most people who live here manage to get a Thai driving license.

If you don't have one, you're a beginner.

Not the Thai cultural expert you claim to be.

I really wish that you could read. It would probably make discussions easier. First of all I have had a Thai license in the past. I just don't have one now as I left the country for 6 months and am just now on a 30 day holiday visiting my family.

I have never had a problem driving on my US license when I have been here for short periods. Again, this is a different thread, so why not stay on topic.

I never knew that having a license or driving was required to know about Thai culture or living here. Thank you for your pearls of wisdom.

Contribute to the conversation or go back to Spotlight and keep professing to be a genius.

DUNCAN

I see now that you're depressed. And this is quite serious.

You most recent thread was titled: Admitting Defeat. That doesn't exactly convey a positive tone, does it?

You ask the question: "but you are happy, who am I to argue?"

Duncan, why would you wish to argue? Why would you even care? Why would you give a toss about my girlfriend and I, or how we met?

Seek advice, Duncan. I strongly encourage you to send a PM to Sheryl. Discuss your circumstances with her in private. She will listen to you.

Depression is far more common than most people realize. And you'll find that expats here in Thailand are generally very sympathetic.

Have a good weekend.

You are so far off the mark !

For my first 10 years here, due to the nature of my business, it was highs and lows. The highs were great, and the lows did cause problems.

I managed to get out 13 months ago which coincided with a nice private pension from my home country. Since then I have never been so happy with my life, and most importantly, my independence.

Although the message of Thailand Fever is sound, I think it's a bit dated now. No mention of mobiles and the internet springs to mind....

In my opinion the best book about the immigrant experience in Thailand ever written.

Putting aside the fact that the main character is a Chinese guy arriving after the second world war. There are so many passages that are still so relevant to Thailand today. It gives a real insight into Thai people and the foreigners' perception of them.

The book was originally banned when published but later became compulsory reading in high school.

Bully for the Chulalongkorn graduate's publication "Letters from Thailand",clap2.gifHowever, "Private Dancer", despite also being a fictional writing, but not written by a Chulalongkorn graduate, is based upon actual, documented real-life events. So, where do you find the shallow about a reality, that's been historically recounted a thousand-fold, in the past 50-years? Huh? whistling.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Dating sites in Thailand are different (certainly than in the UK). I looked at one recently, punched in Chiang Mai and recognised half a dozen of the girls i see working in the Loi Kroh. As 'thaiduncankk' hints at we never hear where the Posters on this forum (who found the perfect girl) met them. Guess they may have been 'hotel receptionists !

How do you afford to live in Thailand as a tourist six months out of the year at age 25?

Internet, IT, airline error fares ...

I stay here on tourist visa so I'm a tourist, but that doesn't mean I pay 1500 thb for hotel everyday ... and I'm off now.

No need for books on the subject. Just be polite at all times, respect Thai culture, don`t get into anything out of your depth and you`ll be fine.

Bully for the Chulalongkorn graduate's publication "Letters from Thailand",clap2.gifHowever, "Private Dancer", despite also being a fictional writing, but not written by a Chulalongkorn graduate, is based upon actual, documented real-life events. So, where do you find the shallow about a reality, that's been historically recounted a thousand-fold, in the past 50-years? Huh? whistling.gif

So Chinese immigration never happened did it? LOL

Try reading the book sometime. They are a world apart in their depth and brevity.

Seems like I'm not the only fan.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/234388.Letters_from_Thailand

90% of TV members have a hi-so wife or g/f, not met on a dating website, so you should get some good info here !

i met my Wife on a dating site.................10 years ago, she now supports me totally so stop talking out yer ar*e
10 years of being supported by a woman in a developing country? What a loser!!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

FYI ~ Here's a news flash, just for you! In case you've been too busy sitting on the bar-stool to notice, Thailand is not a developing country anymore. Good morningcoffee1.gif