EU referendum: UK 'closes in on EU in-work benefits deal'

webfact

EU referendum: UK 'closes in on EU in-work benefits deal'

LONDON: -- The UK is said to be closing in on a deal that would allow it to deny in-work benefits to workers from other parts of the EU for up to four years.

A source close to the negotiations told the BBC the proposed arrangement with the EU would mean the UK could initiate an "emergency brake" on the payments.

It would have to show that the influx of workers from other EU countries was placing an unacceptable burden on its welfare and social systems.

Other EU states could use the measure.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35434125

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-01-29

Maggie had more balls than her entire cabinet. Sure some of her policies were bad, but she got a rebate from the EU. Cameron is not in the same league by miles, all piss and wind. He has too much financially in the EU pie to want to force a real deal. Smoke and mirrors. I'm old enough to remember the original Common Market vote, all those promises, total BS.

OK, as I understand it.

In,say, two years time, after a further 200,000 extra immigrants arrive, the PM declares the welfare and social services are under unacceptable 'strain'. This announcement then has to be agreed by a majority of the other EU governments and then a 'temporary' emergency brake on the influx can take place. That process could take months, during which, those immigrants who want to come to the UK, will flood in before the 'brake' is applied - which is temporary anyway.

It just won't wash with the 'Out' campaign, but I suppose it will be flogged to the UK population as a major victory for our ace negotiator.

I've just had a letter to remind me to confirm my postal/proxy vote. Worth checking if it applies to you.