How to get the impeller off?

BSJ

Hi folks, never repaired a water pump before. Any one know the right way to get the impeller off the engine shaft? No visible fasteners so it's probably an interference fit. Very little clearance between the impeller and the alloy housing.

Got to repair the housing where a big chunk of high quality Chinese alloy came away.

post-63954-0-07122900-1454072968_thumb.j

post-63954-0-09403900-1454073031_thumb.j

As FJ said that could be on a left hand thread ,looks like an alloy impeller ,try a bit of heat first ,rap a bit of cloth on the impeller ,pour on boiling water ,let it warm though ,for a few minuets ,the alloy will expand ,and should allow a removal , might have to lock the engine .Use to do this ,removing pistons from a engine. use a wooden block as a drift and give the impeller a sharp rap with a hammer ,might help to un freeze the threads.

Not a lot to grip on the impeller ,stillsons or mole grips ,will be needed,

Cast iron on a steel shaft ,forget the hot water ,rust will be a problem ,can not hit it, it will shatter .the only way I can think of lock the engine , and weld a bolt on to the impeller ,and use 2 nuts ,one to lock the other nut , use a spanner to undo the impeller ,problem welding steel to cast iron ,will need some cast iron welding rods , Rod -Lec-Lor in Thai , but will , the welding heat bugger up any seals ?

When it is off just cut off the bolt ,and grind it all down .

I have a feeling it will be easier said than done.

Good luck .

Haven't had time to work in the workshop for a few days.....but the Farmerjo video was interesting! But it didn't mention locking the shaft at the other end. I'll give it a try.

If that fails it will be Kickstarts solution. Yes I have special rods to weld cast iron and steel together.

Yesterday tied up with the mango orchard. It's a lousy season this year and we will be lucky to cover our costs.

One of the local buyers came around and took the lot our girls had picked.

post-63954-0-48652200-1454287570_thumb.j

post-63954-0-38652000-1454287778_thumb.j

Hi FarmerJo, 2 taps with the hammer on a drift and it spun off easy! On closer inspection the part had an opening originally as the cast alloy was way to smooth on the sides to be a full breakout. I'd say a partial breakout, but I filled the area with epoxy and left a smaller gap just in case some liquid starts leaking from one of the seals. Back together now and a test run after lunch!

post-63954-0-37645200-1454914478_thumb.j

post-63954-0-53349400-1454914520_thumb.j