CDC President: Election could be moved to the end of 2017

rooster59

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

weak civilian government under the sway of the military.

This is exactly what the Military want.

It's what Thailand needs.

These elected politicians cannot be trusted, I hope they have altered the constitution so that it is more difficult for them to commit corruption and for them to look after the interests of the people for a change and not see it as a means to enrich themselves and their families!!

If they can do this, then the wait will have been worthwhile and the coup justified (in having fixed) the electoral system so that cheats cannot prosper and a genuine government (not of the Shin type) flourishes, that benefits the people and nation. Surely this is what Thailand should strive for.

well said

yes, of coooooourse, because the military has such an outstanding history of fixing democracy in Thailand...

where can I puke... ?

election or no election, how is this going to affect a farang ?.....it wont,you will get on with your lives as usual. As onlookers it's like watching a car accident in slow motion thinking, ''I'm glad i'm not in that car''.

It will, if you have Thai kids in a Thai school. The brainwashing will intensify.

To be more precise - in schools that used to be in 'red' villages in the North, where the false propaganda and brain washing really worked to a tee!!

I love it when people say 'prove it' regarding military corruption.

Naturally, in a completely non-transparent organization like the military, there is not going to be any 'proof' - at least not while people are still alive (think FM Sarit...)

And if someone attempts to show corruption in the military they get sued (think Navy, human trafficking, Southern Thailand).

And under this junta, if they even dare talk about military corruption they get arrested (think numerous students and politicians taking train rides... )

On the other hand, there is proof that the military has been corrupt for decades and decades. And current and former leaders (think current self-appointed "PM") have accumulated amazing wealth on paltry military salaries. While not proof, per se, that would be considered by any thinking individual an a strong indication of corruption having taken place.

Posters who demand 'proof' can't be taken seriously if they cannot see the facts for themselves - or, as is more often the case, they are cheerleaders and junta-huggers.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

She bought the vote with populist policies and then proceeded to turn any semblance of Democracy on it's head by basically throwing the rule book out of the window and doing what SHE, or Thaksin, more like it, wanted.

Article 44 was brought in to expedite urgent changes and needs that would have been bogged down in parliament - it worked very successfully indeed!!

I'm still waiting on the benefits to the people that Yingluck brought. Are you having a little problem with that as you have completely side stepped the question, just as I knew you would.

Now come on, what good did she bring to the peoplecoffee1.gif. If you can't name one, then the answer seems to be (as I and a few other sensible posters know) NOTHING!!

You have raised valid points and I suspect you are perfectly correct, however, like all politicians around the world, it's not what you actually do for the people who voted for you, it's rather what the voters think you've done for them. Thailand is just one example.

......and what do you suppose they think she achieved and did for them?

I can't think of a single 'good' thing she did for them (and neither can the pro-Shinawatra camp) by the looks of it!!

All of her populist policies (that she used to buy the vote) were either useless, disastrous or in the case of the 'rice scam' catastrophic!! Her actions during the flood turmoil were abysmal. Why? you may ask, because she was put there for the sole intention of getting the 'fugitive's amnesty and as the Cranberries song goes "nothing else matters"!!

You've really got a bee in the bonnet. Hey I'm not Thai, I'm just a farang. Heck, I can't figure out what Thais are thinking at the best of times and that includes my long suffering wife. All I know is that the majority of my local rural Thais think that she and her brother were better for the poor rural folk than either the other parties or the junta. Why ??? who knows ! but when you're very poorly educated, living on the breadline, fed daily bullshit by whoever's in power then what do you really expect ?

I think that you have answered your own question rather admirably.

This is why democracy fails in Thailand and also why Prayut, despite the unfortunate but necessary Draconian measures is doing just fine in sorting things out.

I take it that you are not averse to the elections being late - to make sure they get things right in the charter rather than rush it and allow 'fake' Democracy to stuff the country again!!

There are really very few countries in the world where true democracy exists. I do not include the UK in that list by the way, just look at the last election for just one of the reasons why. Democracy was a European invention and as such isn't totally suitable for all the cultures around the world. I remember when the blacks in South Africa got the right to vote, they all thought it would bring a much better life, WRONG !

I don't care about the Thai elections, late or not, but what I am concerned about is those in power telling the people lies. As for the Charter getting things right for everyone, dream on buddy, that's not the intention, it's to keep the status quo, surely even you must see that.

Totally agree with everything in your first paragraph.

If 'keeping the status quo' is in supporting the election of able and qualified MP's who's duty is to serve the people and not themselves following free and fair elections, whereby cheats are barred from standing, then I agree with all of your post!!

I trust you are being sarcastic, but if you are sincere in your comment, then may I suggest you consult the Oxford English Dictionary for the meaning of "status quo". And where in the world do you get "qualified" and able politicians who serve the people and not themselves, or their own vested interests ?

election or no election, how is this going to affect a farang ?.....it wont,you will get on with your lives as usual. As onlookers it's like watching a car accident in slow motion thinking, ''I'm glad i'm not in that car''.

It will, if you have Thai kids in a Thai school. The brainwashing will intensify.

I do have Thai kids in a Thai school but history is rather like a pendulum, it swings back and forth. Read the financial news from way back and compare it with today's news,it's always doom and gloom and here we are still alive and kicking. There is always a catastrophe just around the corner waiting to happen and yet it is rarely as bad as it is made out to be. I consider Prayut incapable, possibly sincere but with his own agenda, He wont bring about everlasting change because Thais do what they want to do,if they don't like a law they wont obey it. Nobody votes for the good of their country, people everywhere vote for their wallets.The military have always been a major power in Thai politics,he is just telling it the way it is.

It seems to me there are three factions involved in the political events of the past ten years or so:

1) The rural people, mostly from Isaan, who support(ed) Thaksin due to the "free" things from the Thaksin regime, who would probably support another regime who likewise gave out "free" things

2) The Bangkok "elite", those with money who were not with Thaksin, and supported the ouster of the Shinawatra regime

3) The educated young and middle-aged professionals, who naively believe that "reform" in this political system is possible, and acted on the mantra "Thaksin out then we will worry about the rest later"

I am not including those paid "protesters" used by both sides to bolster their mob protester crowd size...they will put on any color shirt they are paid to wear.

Group #1 does not really care who is in power, as long as the freebies come

Group #2 likes the status quo, and will support that "forever'

Group #3 will eventually realize that their idealistic outlook has no basis for reality in the real world, and *may* be the group to make some noise when elections are not forthcoming