Anything I can do about?

TheCruncher

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully some Muslim fundamentalists won't move in next door to the OP and demand he stops eating bacon sandwiches and pork chops as it offends their beliefs, traditions and lifestyle.

He would have to eat pretty loudly to match what's going on from his neighbors.

Wow ! All these people talking about Thailand and Thai culture, yet it is actually a Buddhist ceremony, not a Thai one !

Do not confuse nationality with religion.

:-)

It's a Buddhist ceremony being done the Thai way...unless you're claiming Buddhists the world over mark the occasion in this way.

Wow ! All these people talking about Thailand and Thai culture, yet it is actually a Buddhist ceremony, not a Thai one !

It's a Buddhist ceremony being done the Thai way...unless you're claiming Buddhists the world over mark the occasion in this way.

No mention here of it being a purely Thai way of doing things ?

https://www.everplans.com/articles/buddhist-funeral-traditions

Jeez, don't know what is wrong with you. I have been staying Thailand for almost 30 years and have probably attended 10 or 12 of these types of funeral. They love it when the Farangs turn up and you are made most welcolme. Good fun all round.

What Thai call Buddhism has nothing in common with the teachings of the Buddha. The ceremonies they practise in Thailand are for 95 percent pure Animism. Especcially in Isan you can see this very well.

And the 100 day ceremonies are a cultural thing and nothing to do with Buddhism. BTW in other parts of Thailand its just some praying in the Temple and its all over by noon, no music at all. I've been to several, even for my own wive.

BTW, 99.99 percent of the so called Bhuddist monks have beside their gown no relationship with Buddhism.

One day i visited a 100 day ceremony like that upcountry, family of my wife.

There were huge huge speakers placed with the same very loud music. After the monks were gone they opened the whisky, played cards, turned on the bbq and they had some delicious facepalm.gif fieldmouses for me.....kin kao mai? No thanks....wai2.gif

The whole neighbourhood was there included a man with downsyndrome. He always carried a very pointed stick with him which was his biggest friend it seemed. Nobody spoke to him but he liked to take my drinkingwater all the time so i had to ask for a new one.

Nobody except my wife could speak english so i just sit there waiting to go home.....

If you spoke more Thai you must have a better time. It's occasions like these where you've got loads of chances to practice, everyone's drunk, so it didn't matter when you mess it up. Stress free language learning.

No mention there of observing 100 days' remembrance, blasting out loud music or drinking copious amounts of alcohol.

it is a bit strange that the thais seems to enjoy such noise pollution. never really understood it.

stop analyzing why and either "leave" or move somewhere quieter.
analyzing or confronting takes more energy then the alternative. and you also just get another problem if your lucky enough to solve the first one.

No mention there of observing 100 days' remembrance, blasting out loud music or drinking copious amounts of alcohol.

Religious memorial services are traditionally held on the third, seventh, forty-ninth, and one-hundredth day after the death, though these days can be flexible if they don’t fit into the family’s schedule. The services may be held at a family home or at a monastery, and the family may choose to limit the participation to only family members or may invite the larger community to participate."

I have just learned that next month our village is having a three day party to raise money for the temple. This means that every single household will be partying day and night nonstop. There will be pickup trucks towing generators, piled high with speakers driving up and down the road followed by drunk locals dancing.

Not to mention that the roads will be gridlocked with all the extra cars and motorcycles.

Now I have attended similar events in neighbouring villages many times, but this will be my first experience of hosting a party such as this. I did politely suggest to my wife that we could go on holiday.....but the answer was a big fat no.

Wish me luck [emoji30]

3 days is the norm, same as a house blessing.

Isn't there a law against this?

I respect their grieves but they should also respect other people in my opinion.

They have a big party tent overthere, but I can not believe that anyone can last longer than 5 minutes at that place without serious hearing damages.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION. CAN YOU REPEAT THAT PLEASE?

I have just learned that next month our village is having a three day party to raise money for the temple. This means that every single household will be partying day and night nonstop. There will be pickup trucks towing generators, piled high with speakers driving up and down the road followed by drunk locals dancing.

Not to mention that the roads will be gridlocked with all the extra cars and motorcycles.

Now I have attended similar events in neighbouring villages many times, but this will be my first experience of hosting a party such as this. I did politely suggest to my wife that we could go on holiday.....but the answer was a big fat no.

Wish me luck [emoji30]

OK! GOOD LUCK!!!!