Cost of Residence Certificate in Immigration.

17 hours ago, fstarbkk said:

Good and timely post - I need one of those certificates to transfer my car registration to CM. Can you tell me which agent you used (I think there are several)?

sure, it is the one next door the immigration office ,facing the imm office it`s to your left.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

500Baht at Rayong, requested after the lady had handed me the certificate/letter! I suppose I could have refused and just marched out, which might have made things difficult for subsequent applicants. No receipt, the money went into a Tupperware lunchbox.

A couple of years or so ago there was a lot of huffing and puffing about "corruption", which resulted in many offices, including Rayong, refusing to issue such certificates. The alternative would have been a trip to the British Embassy and payment of 5 times that figure. I hope the self-righteous muppets who made a fuss before don't mess it up for us again. It seems a very reasonable amount to pay, whether as a staff gratuity or an official charge, for a very swift and competent service

You know it is not an official charge, that is why you do not get a receipt. Advocating and paying bribes just perpetuates the corruption.

On 11/15/2016 at 6:56 PM, akampa said:

so here in Chiang Mai I needed a  Residence Certificate  I went to the promenade shopping mall to the immigration section they directed me  to  go to the 2nd floor, there they have a counter just for residence certificate .   I needed it in 2 days not possible ,it is written at the desk it takes 1 month really! it`s free the girl told me to try the agent next to the main immigration department back down stairs it cost 500 baht come back next day in the afternoon to pick up the Residence Certificate,  job done. :partytime2:

Very helpful, akampa.  Thank you.

Can you clarify where the agent's office is again?

I saw an area outside the Imm Office, just within a few feet to the left of the outside door on the ground floor.  Is that the agent's office?  There were some standing signs outside for different services, trays of blank forms on a table & more tables for completing paperwork.

Also saw a little further down to the left a copy shop for copies & photos.

Is the place you used the one in between the copy shop and the outside doors to the left of the Imm Office, with the tables outside?

When I went, there were people queued up there asking the attendant questions, and because there were supplies of official forms for distribution, I just assumed that was part of the Imm Office. 

Also, what did you have to give them?  Just the documents & photos, or your passport also?

Thanks.

Edited by joespnet

2 hours ago, cnx101 said:

The agents office for the 500 baht certificates is on the same floor as the immigration residency office just round the corner next to a camera shop.

Thanks, cnx101.

This sounds like a different agent than the one akampa used.  The one he mentioned was on the ground floor near the main Imm office.   There must be more than one nearby.

14 hours ago, joespnet said:

Very helpful, akampa.  Thank you.

Can you clarify where the agent's office is again?

I saw an area outside the Imm Office, just within a few feet to the left of the outside door on the ground floor.  Is that the agent's office?  There were some standing signs outside for different services, trays of blank forms on a table & more tables for completing paperwork.

Also saw a little further down to the left a copy shop for copies & photos.

Is the place you used the one in between the copy shop and the outside doors to the left of the Imm Office, with the tables outside?

When I went, there were people queued up there asking the attendant questions, and because there were supplies of official forms for distribution, I just assumed that was part of the Imm Office. 

Also, what did you have to give them?  Just the documents & photos, or your passport also?

Thanks.

hi the agents office is to the left of the copy shop . good luck  :smile:

13 hours ago, cnx101 said:

The agents office for the 500 baht certificates is on the same floor as the immigration residency office just round the corner next to a camera shop.

this office is the annex to the main immigration office ,and there is no fee for the certificate of residence but it can take awhile to get one .

• 11 months later...

Update November 2017:

Agent is still located in Room 7 next to Copy/Photo shop, ground floor near main Immigration offices. His name is Wis. There are no signs and the room looks totally abandoned if you arrive before he does (around 09:00). Thinking it WAS abandoned, I spent 2 hours on the 2nd floor as I was early for the 09:00 queue and then the Immigration rep did not arrive until 10. When I asked about expedited service she sent me right back down to Room 7 where Wis had finally opened shop. I don't think I spent more than 5 minutes handing over my form and proving my passport/TM30, AND, of course, shelling out 500 baht. I was told to come back next day at 14:00. 

Notes: I did queue up for the TM30 and even if you are the first to arrive at the locked entrance, be advised that others will not care. It was a pack of animals (me included) grabbing queuing number card just inside the entrance after the door was opened. 

They will only accept photos with blue background. Can be done next to Room 7: 200 baht. Took about 10 minutes. 

Good luck! 

Edited by jbinfl

On 11/24/2016 at 10:32 AM, muzmurray said:

You know it is not an official charge, that is why you do not get a receipt. Advocating and paying bribes just perpetuates the corruption.

So what advice would you give French nationals who require a certificate of residence from their local immigration office for the purposes of obtaining a driving licence, then, given that, as is evident from this recent thread, their Embassy no longer issues such certificates? Employ a chauffeur, maybe??

On 31.1.2016 at 9:45 AM, chiang mai said:

Too funny, both parties are correct in that article, the Immigration guy and the guy who had to pay 500 baht. The service is free, IF you want to wait 10 days, IF you don't then you pay. And the guy in the article is lying through his teeth, I lived in Phuket for four years, when you apply for the certificate the Immigration chappie pulls out a piece of paper with the words, "500 baht" written on it and doesn't say a word, instead he shows it to you and if you don't pay, your certificate gets lost or similar. AND AND, yes you can report it to him, if you're feeling like a hero I suggest you give it a try and see what happens the next time you want something from Immigration, go on, do it I dare you, we're always happy to have that sort of free entertainment here on TVF!

This 3 Immigration Police are gone already, transferred to Bangkok fore what ?

6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

If mugs are willing to pay for a free service they will keep charging them, you do not have to give into corruption.

No,  you don't have to give in, you can just wait....... no one seems to get freaked out when the Post Office charges me more for overnight delivery versus "snail" mail but let Immigration charge for expedited service and it now becomes corruption 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

No,  you don't have to give in, you can just wait....... no one seems to get freaked out when the Post Office charges me more for overnight delivery versus "snail" mail but let Immigration charge for expedited service and it now becomes corruption 

Or the US Department of State charging for expedited New/renewal Passport: 

"All Additional Services Fees are per application. For example, if you want to expedite your application and your child's, you must pay an additional $60 for each application." 2,000 baht each

Is that corruption  too?

Edited by bttao
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

If mugs are willing to pay for a free service they will keep charging them, you do not have to give into corruption.

Easier said than done. They have the upper hand, so you pay unless you wish to be messed about or end up with nothing at all.

Chumphon charged 500 baht this year. Five years ago (when they were part of Ranong Immigration) it was free.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:23 AM, keeniau96 said:

I just got one yesterday at Phuket main immi office. Very efficient, computer typed with my picture and gov't stamp. Took about 5 mins, 300 baht. Now off to driver license office for 5-yr renewal, very different story there re waits and efficiency.

Interesting, I did mine there 2 weeks ago for motorbike and car license they asked 600 baht and I told them its for free, lady said I'll ask my boss and 10 minutes later I got my 2 residence certificates handed to me for free.

On 11/23/2016 at 5:08 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

500Baht at Rayong, requested after the lady had handed me the certificate/letter! I suppose I could have refused and just marched out, which might have made things difficult for subsequent applicants. No receipt, the money went into a Tupperware lunchbox.

A couple of years or so ago there was a lot of huffing and puffing about "corruption", which resulted in many offices, including Rayong, refusing to issue such certificates. The alternative would have been a trip to the British Embassy and payment of 5 times that figure. I hope the self-righteous muppets who made a fuss before don't mess it up for us again. It seems a very reasonable amount to pay, whether as a staff gratuity or an official charge, for a very swift and competent service

Exactly. People are always whining about "corruption" but do they also whine to their embassy about how much they charge? Do they write an official letter of complaint to their embassy? Didn't think so...these whiners are gutless, they see Thai immigration as easy bait but for some reason they are too scared to complain to their government for doing essentially the same thing.

Which one is more important as a foreigner living in Thailand? Pleasing Thai immigration or your government? I'd say the former...the latter has no influence on your stay in Thailand anyway.