Rabies outbreak in Nakhon Ratchasima

Jonathan Fairfield

"I bet to differ."

"The standard practice where I live is for rabies injections to start or boosters administered as soon as the bitten person reports to the hospital. (I had my jabs a few months ago)"

That may well be where you live, but it is not something that is normally done, or necessary in the US, where I have first hand knowledge of this.

Since Rabies is a serious disease, I guess it makes some patients feel better, even though they most often don't need it if they can watch the dog for the ten day quarantine.

The practice of giving the injections and the need for them don't match in most cases.

Terry

This is Thailand not the US!
Waiting the 10 day observation period does not apply in Thailand where canine rabies is endemic!
The WHO recommendation for South East Asia......
"Simply observing the biting dog for 10 days without starting treatment is not justified."
"In countries where rabies is prevalent in a large population of dogs, it is compulsory to start treatment and keep the biting dog under 10 days of observation."
"If the animal remains healthy during the observation period then post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) can be converted into pre-exposure regimen, i.e. the vaccine taken will be to prevent rabies if bitten in the future."
Reference : WHO Rabies SEA FAQ Question 12

Does anyone know if the rabies outbreak in Korat is still a dangerous situation, or is it gradually getting under control? I ask because I plan to visit Korat in May and would like to know if perhaps I should change my travel plans. TIA for any updates

"I bet to differ."

"The standard practice where I live is for rabies injections to start or boosters administered as soon as the bitten person reports to the hospital. (I had my jabs a few months ago)"

That may well be where you live, but it is not something that is normally done, or necessary in the US, where I have first hand knowledge of this.

Since Rabies is a serious disease, I guess it makes some patients feel better, even though they most often don't need it if they can watch the dog for the ten day quarantine.

The practice of giving the injections and the need for them don't match in most cases.

Terry

Waiting the 10 day observation period does not apply in Thailand where canine rabies is endemic!
"Simply observing the biting dog for 10 days without starting treatment is not justified."
"In countries where rabies is prevalent in a large population of dogs, it is compulsory to start treatment and keep the biting dog under 10 days of observation."
"If the animal remains healthy during the observation period then post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) can be converted into pre-exposure regimen, i.e. the vaccine taken will be to prevent rabies if bitten in the future."

Does anyone know if the rabies outbreak in Korat is still a dangerous situation, or is it gradually getting under control? I ask because I plan to visit Korat in May and would like to know if perhaps I should change my travel plans. TIA for any updates

Nothing heard not endemic

"I bet to differ."

Terry

http://www.who.int/rabies/resources/SEA_CD_278_FAQs_Rabies.pdf

Nothing heard not endemic

Changing travel plans also seem over the top. In case of an endemic outbreak you should just be a bit more careful (dont go for an outdoor run, dont feed monkeys, etc), no need to avoid korat as a whole.

Not meaning to minimize the problem, but nobody should be afraid of rabies shots any more.

I had the jabs a few years back when I got tagged by a Tibetan Mastiff in China. In between the 2nd and 3rd shot, I got tagged by a street restaurant's mutt in Bangkok, so I got a 2-fer.

Unlike when I was a kid, it was a total of 3 shots, all in the arm. Didn't break the bank, either. (Though the expat hospital I visited first in China offered me a $2,500 course of gamma globulin, or something like that). I declined and went to the local government hospital specializing in rabies, and got the first and second jab for around $15, then the third in BKK for not much more than that.

If I even got licked by a soi dog today, I'd be heading to the local hospital before the spit dried. No waiting 10 days for this boy.

Edited by impulse

Not meaning to minimize the problem, but nobody should be afraid of rabies shots any more.

I had the jabs a few years back when I got tagged by a Tibetan Mastiff in China. In between the 2nd and 3rd shot, I got tagged by a street restaurant's mutt in Bangkok, so I got a 2-fer.

Unlike when I was a kid, it was a total of 3 shots, all in the arm. Didn't break the bank, either. (Though the expat hospital I visited first in China offered me a $2,500 course of gamma globulin, or something like that). I declined and went to the local government hospital specializing in rabies, and got the first and second jab for around $15, then the third in BKK for not much more than that.

If I even got licked by a soi dog today, I'd be heading to the local hospital before the spit dried. No waiting 10 days for this boy.

Thanks impulse! I guess things have changed considerably since years ago when you use to get a series of shots for 14 days with a foot long needle into your stomach. I never had to do it myself but knew people who went through it bah.gif and so whenever I hear rabies mentioned it sends up a very large red flag. I can see now why some of the posters here take this rabies outbreak situation so lightly.

Hello All, the wife just started the series of shots here at the small local gov clinic,

total cost with Dr. will be Bt.1800. here in Korat.

rice555

Thanks as well rice555, it's good to know that all you need is 3 sots in the arm and it costs less than $50 U.S. wai2.gif

This would be good for all you rabid inoculation folk,but you should take note of the batch used,a lot is duff stuff,The Medal of Honor (civilian grade) awaits at Walmart

For utter piece of mind The Thespian society of the great state of North Dakota holds seminars on this very subject