Going to clear overstay

Hi guys again. So here is my problem. Want to fly to Laos in the next few weeks to clear my overstay ( about 2 years ). I am not married to a Thai yet, but will do in the coming months I have 4 children here so what would be needed for a non O visa to visit my kids while i am getting sorted on the marriage visa any and all info welcome.

Unless you have legitimized your fatherhood either via the Amphur or the Thai courts it is not likely that any visa beyond a single entry non "O" providing for a 90 day stay will be issued.

You will need copies of the children's birth certificates and their Tabian Ban entries.

Savannakhet may be a better option where it may be possible to obtain a 12 month multi-entry visa if you apply whilst accompanied by your family.

• Like 1

• You can get a single entry non 'O' visa with one of your children's original birth certificates.

It will give you 90 days on re-entry.

At the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage or a parent if you have 400k or a certified income of 40k pm.

If you don't have the cash or income, as soon as you are married, you can go to Savannakhet and get a 1 year multi entry non 'O' with an original marriage certificate and no financial proof.

If you need longer to sort out the marriage you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your children towards the end of the non 'O' 90 day stay.

Edited by elviajero

• You can get a single entry non 'O' visa with one of your children's original birth certificates.
  • It will give you 90 days on re-entry.
  • At the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage or a parent if you have 400k or a certified income of 40k pm.
  • If you don't have the cash or income, as soon as you are married, you can go to Savannakhet and get a 1 year multi entry non 'O' with an original marriage certificate and no financial proof.
  • If you need longer to sort out the marriage you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your children towards the end of the non 'O' 90 day stay.

Can the OP obtain a one year extension of stay based on being the parent of a Thai child without proof of legitimisation of parenthood ?

• At the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage or a parent if you have 400k or a certified income of 40k pm.
  • If you don't have the cash or income, as soon as you are married, you can go to Savannakhet and get a 1 year multi entry non 'O' with an original marriage certificate and no financial proof.
  • If you need longer to sort out the marriage you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your children towards the end of the non 'O' 90 day stay

Can the OP obtain a one year extension of stay based on being the parent of a Thai child without proof of legitimisation of parenthood ?

No he can't, but I didn't go in to full detail because I assume, right or wrong, that someone on a two year overstay probably doesn't have 400k or a provable income, plus as he is getting married he becomes the legitimate father.

• If you need longer to sort out the marriage you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your children towards the end of the non 'O' 90 day stay

No he can't, but I didn't go in to full detail because I assume, right or wrong, that someone on a two year overstay probably doesn't have 400k or a provable income, plus as he is getting married he becomes the legitimate father.

Off topic I know, but I would like to know if this statement is correct.

It is correct !

It is correct !

So if I marry a Thai woman who has children, which I have never registered as being the father, I automatically become the legitimate father?

When i divorce a day later, of course I remain the legitimate father?

It is correct !

So if I marry a Thai woman who has children, which I have never registered as being the father, I automatically become the legitimate father?

No and No.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

It is correct !

No and No.

So can you instead of giving 1` word answers elaborate on what is correct.

Sunnyjim5 asks :Can the OP obtain a one year extension of stay based on being the parent of a Thai child without proof of legitimisation of parenthood ?

You answer : as he is getting married he becomes the legitimate father.

So what do I misunderstand?

Edited by TheCruncher

No and No.

Sunnyjim5 asks :Can the OP obtain a one year extension of stay based on being the parent of a Thai child without proof of legitimisation of parenthood ?

I you are not shown as the father on the child's birth certificate you would not become the legal father of the child. You would have to get the paperwork to prove you are the their father which would probably include a DNA test.

If you are shown on the birth certificate as their father you become the legal father when you marry their mother.

• Like 1

Clear your overstay first before thinking about it. Exit Via BKK to Laos. Pay the fine come back with a valid visa. Either TR or visa exempt Time is running up you have till march 20 before you'll not be able to see your kid for many years if you're banned. Rather than thinking how you wanna come back with Non-O i think this is a smarter choice. *Of cos you still stand a chance to get caught anytime from now till you exit the country. Especially if you are travelling around trying to get your paperwork done.

Edited by Jackieiam
  • Like 1

Good that you want to take care of your kids. Better then most Thai fathers.

Hope everything works out for you.

All the Thai fathers I know are damn serious and conscientious about taking care of their kids.

<p>
It is correct !

I'm curious. On what basis could he get a 1 year visa without any income or financial proof?

As the OP is not married to the mother of his children so he does not have any legal parental rights. He can (if he hasn't already) obtain rights via a court or at a local amphur (depending on the child's age) or by getting married to the mother.

This webpage is a good resource and explains all. http://thailawonline.com/en/family/children/custody-of-a-child-thailand.html

I'm curious. On what basis could he get a 1 year visa without any income or financial proof?

Some embassies/consulates do not require any financial proof to issue a 1 year multiple entry non 'O' visa on the basis of marriage. Savannakhet will issue this visa with an original marriage certificate and copies of the wife's ID/Tabien Baan.

Edited by elviajero

Some embassies/consulates do not require any financial proof to issue a 1 year multiple entry non 'O' visa on the basis of marriage. Savannakhet will issue this visa with an original marriage certificate and copies of the wife's ID/Tabien Baan.

Neighboring Thai consulates

Savannakhet has no financial proof. But without a legal marriage, have the entire family appear (applicant + other parent + thai child) to show de facto marriage.

Penang has some financial proof ( >100k), but only applicant + birth certificate + housebook page is needed.

Also, your home country or other thai consulates further away may vary on their income requirements when it comes to visiting family. Usually an english translation of the birth certificate is enough. Really depends on the consulate and your relationship with them.

Edited by 4evermaat

• 1 month later...