METV visa advice

The information phone line says that when entering Thailand by land they only issue 15 days stay. I am getting really confused as what to do.

I will enter Thailand on 7th July with an METV and am 50 on 15th March 2017. I want to when 50 apply to stay for retirement. I will live in Jomtien so could you advise how to go about the leaving and entering Thailand after 90 days .

Thanks

That rule is for visa exempt entries but as you're from the UK you get 30 days. That said you won't be using/needing visa exempt entry.

If I were you I would get a METV and use that up to age 50. With the METV you will get 60 days on each entry which you can extend by 30 days at immigration. At the end of the 90 days use a visa run company that will take you to the Cambodian border and back in one day. At the border you exit Thailand, enter Cambodia, turn around and re-enter Thailand.

Once you turn 50 go to Vientiane to get a non 'O' visa. Visa run companies will take you there for a reasonable fee. When you re-enter Thailand with the non 'O' visa you will be given a 90 days stay. In the last 30 days of that stay you can go to immigration and apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. That extension can be renewed each year.

I will take this advice and go to Vientiane. Thank you for your help. What do I need to get the non 'O' visa ? Is it the same requirements for the long stay on retirement grounds. 800 000 in a Thai bank funds confirmed from overseas , over 50 , proof of accomadation ? Thanks for your patience and answering questions which must have been asked many times before. I am a little overwhelmed at the moment.

Today my house here in the UK has its first viewing and I am really going to do this.

You just need proof that you are over 50 (passport) and an updated bank book showing a minimum of 800k. (No need to confirm it's from overseas).

You're welcome and I hope everything works out for you. Thailand is a great place to live!

I fly to Thailand on Wednesday 6th July so intend applying for the METV on Thursday 30th June . So as far as I understand my visa will expire on 30 December ,so I can get another 60 days and then extend it for another 30 days taking me up until the end of March. I will be 50 on March 15th.

To be eligable for the non 'O' visa do I just go to Vientiane and apply with my bank book and that is all there is to it ?

Sounds great for my needs.

I fly to Thailand on Wednesday 6th July so intend applying for the METV on Thursday 30th June . So as far as I understand my visa will expire on 30 December ,so I can get another 60 days and then extend it for another 30 days taking me up until the end of March. I will be 50 on March 15th.

To be eligable for the non 'O' visa do I just go to Vientiane and apply with my bank book and that is all there is to it ?

Sounds great for my needs.

Yes, except if the visa is issued on June 30th it will expire on December 29th. The expiry date will be printed on the visa ('enter before') so just make sure you make your last entry on or before that date.

As you will be applying for the non 'O' next year you should check with the forum again nearer the time about the requirements for the non 'O', but I doubt much will change between now and then.

• Like 1