Phuket beach rule ‘enforcers’ on their way, says Vice Governor

rooster59

Phuket beach rule ‘enforcers’ on their way, says Vice Governor

Tanyaluk Sakoot

post-247607-0-67029300-1454685958_thumb.

The Phuket beach rule enforcers are on their way, after beach chairs were found chained to trees at Kata earlier this week. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Armornwat hopes to soon have new teams of personnel patrolling the sands at the island’s key tourist beaches to ensure vendors are following the rules following the discovery of beach chairs chained and padlocked to trees under cover at Kata Beach this week.

“I believe these new teams will be set up very soon,” V/Gov Chokdee told The Phuket News yesterday (Feb 4).

“They will help a lot, as they will be specifically tasked with ensuring the beach management rules are followed,” he said.

The move to set up teams of ‘beach-rule enforcers’ comes as Wanchai Saetan, Chief Administrator of Kata-Karon Municipality, this week called for manpower support from the police or even the Royal Thai Navy in order to enforce the beach rules in his area.

Mr Wanchai said he had no idea about the beach chairs chained to trees at Kata, photos of which were sent to The Phuket News on Monday (Feb 1).

“But I have now ordered my officers to look into this,” he said.

“However, we must figure out who owns those chairs before we take any action. They might belong to tourists. If they are, we will point out to them the signs on the beach explaining the rules and hand them copies of the multi-language brochure which we hand out to tourists on the beach.

“I do not want to aggravate any tourists over this as it is such a sensitive issue,” he added.
But if the chairs do belong to vendors, action will be taken, Mr Wanchai warned.

“They must be warned, fined and reported for doing this in a public area. It is like privately reserving an area of the beach – and no one is allowed to do that,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-rule-enforcers-on-their-way-says-vice-governor-56083.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-05

I can think of a dozens of better ways for the Phuket authorities to spend their money rather than employ a team of "beach enforcers".

I can also think of dozens of more serious offences than padlocking some beach chairs to a tree.

But Vice-Governor Chokdee obviously has different priorities.

'They might belong to tourists......'

Probably.

I often see tourists wandering around on the beach with big chains and padlocks.

I see plenty tourists chaining up their chairs along Kata beach ...

Doesn't this show how silly the new "pristine beaches" drive really is? Clearly, nobody in authority thought this thing through before issuing the crackdown order. Otherwise they would have realised (a) many visitors would rather sit on something comfortable than a towel or the sand (B) if there are no vendors to provide suitable seating, they will have to lug it to the beach themselves and © being smart, falangs will find a way of NOT having to lug their stuff to the beach.

This whole crazy system needs a re-think. Maybe a little consultation with tourists who actually use these beaches would be a good idea before the "enforcers" move in to create more discontent and disruption.

<snip>

This whole crazy system needs a re-think. Maybe a little consultation with tourists who actually use these beaches would be a good idea before the "enforcers" move in to create more discontent and disruption.

I laughed-out-loud reading that. Consultation with tourists - really. We are just visitors, pay our money (as much s can be extracted), and should go away without any complaints.

Here's an idea... Employ suitably qualified, uniformed life guards, with guard towers, and give them authority over their section of the beach ( or a hotline to summon authorized people).

This system could then be randomly monitored by a roving supervisor, to ensure compliance with beach rules.

This would result in increased safety for beach users, and swimmers, making the Phuket experience much better

Here's an idea... Employ suitably qualified, uniformed life guards, with guard towers, and give them authority over their section of the beach ( or a hotline to summon authorized people).

This system could then be randomly monitored by a roving supervisor, to ensure compliance with beach rules.

This would result in increased safety for beach users, and swimmers, making the Phuket experience much better

Sadly, organized, official..tuff wars star...

I can think of a dozens of better ways for the Phuket authorities to spend their money rather than employ a team of "beach enforcers".

I can also think of dozens of more serious offences than padlocking some beach chairs to a tree.

But Vice-Governor Chokdee obviously has different priorities.

So how about enforcers to check that the beach and sea is clean. some hopes

Sadly, organized, official..tuff wars star...

Yer... I know... As I re read what I wrote, I realized it was foolish and naive.

wrong end of stick being taken here. it means tourists will be made to pay for seats, and protection for their belongings while sitting in their seats.

watch the prices go up

Who protects your stuff at the beach?

You're depending on a chair vendor to keep an eye on your stuff while you're in the water?

Oh my, 555

Kata beach is lined with tourist resorts... Perhaps they have chained the chairs to the tree, and give a key to any guest wishing to sit on the beach?

If not... They should be allowed too... Or something similar ( free but monitored... Deposit at front desk?) should be instigated... And

as a few of the places have road crossing guards, they already have personnel available to "oversee" it

In Australia, some councils have built proper decent looking shade areas, it's easily done, and is a proactive measure against skin cancer... Designer shade sails could look quite attractive.

Just (another) thought, but I suppose the proper forum for such things would be when public proposals are sought by relevant authorities ( yer, right)

'They might belong to tourists......'

Probably.

I often see tourists wandering around on the beach with big chains and padlocks.

I see plenty tourists chaining up their chairs along Kata beach ...

Tourists or ex-pats?You really see tourists chaining up the chairs they just bought from somewhere using the chains they just bought from somewhere else?

Are these 1 week tourists or 2/4 week tourists,did you ask them,what do they do with these chairs when their holiday is finished?

Tourists or ex-pats?You really see tourists chaining up the chairs they just bought from somewhere using the chains they just bought from somewhere else?

Are these 1 week tourists or 2/4 week tourists,did you ask them,what do they do with these chairs when their holiday is finished?

Definately tourists and I have no idea how many weeks they stay. Most don't chain tto tree, most have some sort of luggage trolly and I see many of them wheeling down mainstrret Karon.

I assume they give away or sell cheap when they leave.