Driving motorcycle in Thailand with Philippine license

Hello. I'm American. I hold valid US drivers as well as the international drivers license and the international drivers permit( issued by AAA). I also have a Philippine drivers license valid for car and motorcycle. My US license is only for car. I want to buy and LEGALLY drive motorcycle in Thailand.

Is my Philippine license for car and motorcycle accepted for driving motorcycle inThailand by some ASEAN agreement? Thanks in advance.

There are plenty of posts here regarding exchanging licenses and the additional paperwork required.

Just take your PH license to the local DLT and proceed from there, some may need you to make an appointment to do some testing, others just queue to do a reaction and colour blindness test.

Yes, but only for a short period. Better get a Thai licence though as soon as you can. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to obtain a Thai licence on a visa waiver or tourist visa, at least a 2-year "temporary" licence. Not sure what visa you have but yes, either way it's possible.

Do note that if you intend on renting a vehicle in Thailand in the meantime, I have noticed some of the international companies are reluctant to accept driver's licences from poor developing countries even if they're printed in English. A while ago, my Thai licence was expired but I had valid Aussie and Cambodian licences. AVIS didn't want to accept my Cambodian licence but my Aussie one was fine. Strange that, this so-called ASEAN agreement. Given that officially at least you can't even drive a Thai car to Cambodia (in practice some crossings will allow a Thai car across) I wouldn't pay much attention to any such agreements particularly when Thai officials claim they exist. Most of the time it's just a photo opportunity and gives them bragging rights, but when you actually try to use a Thai licence in another ASEAN country (other than Laos, Malaysia or Singapore) or vice versa, don't be surprised when it's not accepted.

For small motorcycles, they normally don't even ask for a licence when renting it to you, for large bikes they probably do but I wouldn't be surprised if they accepted a car licence in lieu of a motorcycle licence in that case.

It's best you just apply for a Thai motorcycle licence though - it's largely pain-free especially if you already have a valid licence from another country you don't have to sit the practical and theory tests. Just pass a couple of simple tests (eyesight, reflex test, color blindness test), pay a fee and off you go.

Ok. I know I can go get medical certificate and residence certificate and go pay to get Thai licenses for car and motor.

But I want to know if i can drive a motorcycle in Thailand with my Philippine motorcycle license. I saw somewhere the Thai license is accepted in all countries within ASEAN but want to know if that acceptance is reciprocated to allow other ASEAN country license holders to drive in Thailand using that countries license. Thx

You MAY need a medical certificate - best go to your nearest witchdoktor and pay something between 30b -100b ( mine just asked if was feeling ok )

Yeah, unless you have a work permit then you will need a certificate of residence, if you have an copy of an older one then it's worth a try.

But to answer your post, yeah, you can ride on a PH license or IDP but not forever, but if you are here for some time then just exchange your license for a Thai one.

Alright. Thanks. So by all this I take it there really is no ASEAN agreement that allows holders of licenses within the ASEAN countries to drive in any ASEAN country. Ok i just didn't want to go out to promanada to get residence certificate since its 200+ each way transport. Gonna cost me over 1500 bAht to get that residence certificate. And two days. DELETED

Edited by seedy
language

Alright. Thanks. So by all this I take it there really is no ASEAN agreement that allows holders of licenses within the ASEAN countries to drive in any ASEAN country. Ok i just didn't want to go out to promanada to get residence certificate since its 200+ each way transport. Gonna cost me over 1500 bAht to get that residence certificate. And two days. DELETED

There is an agreement. Here's the link

http://www.asean.org/?static_post=agreement-on-the-recognition-of-domestic-driving-licences-issued-by-asean-countries-kuala-lumpur-9-july-1985

That is a great link to the agreement. Temporary is vague but I think as long as license is valid then you can legally drive in any ASEAN country with any ASEAN license. Great. I already applied for my residence certificate and got my medical certificate so will go ahead and get a Thai license. I need residence certificate to buy a motorcycle anyway. Thanks! Way to be on top of things.

That is a great link to the agreement. Temporary is vague but I think as long as license is valid then you can legally drive in any ASEAN country with any ASEAN license. Great. I already applied for my residence certificate and got my medical certificate so will go ahead and get a Thai license. I need residence certificate to buy a motorcycle anyway. Thanks! Way to be on top of things.

Temporary can be as long as you like. Unless you apply for Permanent Residence then you are here on a temporary stay that may be extended for years. I have been here 10 years and each one year extension is for an additional temporary stay.

The use of foreign licenses is referred to in the Motor Vehicle Act and there is no mention of a time limit. Getting a Thai license is still the best thing to do in the long run as there are other advantages to having one such as use as ID and getting discounts on admission some places.

Link to English version of Motor Vehicle Act:

http://driving-in-thailand.com/tag/motor-vehicle-act/

Useful info, my Thai license expired and haven't got round to renewing it but I also have a PI license (and uk), I only ride on Samui and have never been asked to produce my license in 10 years of being here (I always were helmet so never get stopped).

Temporary can be as long as you like. Unless you apply for Permanent Residence then you are here on a temporary stay that may be extended for years. I have been here 10 years and each one year extension is for an additional temporary stay.

The use of foreign licenses is referred to in the Motor Vehicle Act and there is no mention of a time limit. Getting a Thai license is still the best thing to do in the long run as there are other advantages to having one such as use as ID and getting discounts on admission some places.

Link to English version of Motor Vehicle Act:

http://driving-in-thailand.com/tag/motor-vehicle-act/

One year extensions is hardly temporary....

Foreign licence + idp can be used for stays up to 3 months. For longer stays you need a thai driving licence.

ASEAN licenses would be accepted for longer than 3 month stays in Thailand. If they meant it to be 3 months for ASEAN license holders they would have said 3 months in agreement and not temporary. Haha. Otherwise why have the agreement at all??? Just stand your ground if police try to give trouble. When I get my Thai license tomorrow I'll ask them and see what they say.

Edited by Tigerbythetail

I got my Thai license today and asked if it would be OK to use my Philippine license and they said yes i could use it as long as valid but that I wouldn't be able to get Thai insurance with non Thai license. So that's the rub to using other ASEAN licenses and other countries with the Idp. So now two new questions...

Are we allowed to drive a car or motor in Thailand without being insured by Thai insurer???

what/who are some decent Thai insurers to cover theft and accident/medical?? I doubt it's very expensive, compared to USA.

Edited by Tigerbythetail

In Thailand they insure the vehicle, not the driver. If the car you are driving is insured, you SHOULD be covered. But the owner may have put a rider on the policy naming those who are covered by the policy. If your name is not on it, you are not covered. When renting, you usually buy first class coverage from the car rental agency. Check with them if they have a Thai license only policy. Most of the big name players, Avis, Hertz, Budget accept valid out-of-country licenses. But it is up to you to check and make sure you are covered. For example, Popcarrent in CNX has many bikes for rent. No first class insurance available. You wreck it, you pay for the repairs.

Edited by canthai55

Alright. Thanks. So by all this I take it there really is no ASEAN agreement that allows holders of licenses within the ASEAN countries to drive in any ASEAN country.

Was at the Thai D/L center today, sign on the wall says due to ASEAN agreement, Thai licence fully valid in Philippines.

One must assume the reverse applies.

You're good to drive!

PS

When I buy Thai insurance, nobody has ever asked to see a D/L ...... from any country.

(and I bought m/c insurance yesterday morning)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Rules are rules.
Except sometimes.
As usual it's up to the discretion of the officer.
I tried to use a Thai license in Cambodia when I was stopped and had to pay a fine ($10)

I told the cop that ASEAN countries had an agreement and my Thai license OK in Cambodia.
He said: "$10" Pay up or I'll make it $20

Of course, this was in Cambodia.
Thailand has much more honest police!

Ok good Info to go on. I want to buy a 125 cc Scooter and Insure it to cover scooter and myself and passenger in case of theft or accident and also cover any medical costs. And don't want them to deny based on some false pretense in the event heaven forbid something happens. So any recommended insurers? thanks in advance

Yea travel insurance is good For "me". I'd like insurance for bike (value 1500) and medical for passenger and me or other people who might be involved in an accident if my fault or fault of an uninsured motorist. I wanna keep looking for a good Thai(or other) insurance that would cover all those circumstances. Thanks for input but wanna keep digging on whether there exists a (Thai) insurance that is worth having here in Thailand. Maybe there is maybe there's not. Dunno. All input welcome

What does the government compulsory/requirement insurance generally cover?

Edited by Tigerbythetail