Givi top box rack for Honda Click?

SooKee

Well, that was a much bigger PITA than expected? Decided to buy a Givi top box for my Click both to stow the full face helmet (just a BIT too high for under the seat and too much hassle to shift the stuff around) and to give me some more shopping space, not to mention a bit of room for change of clothes etc if I go away 1-3 nights on it.

First I went to the shop Helmets 2 Home to buy the Givi box, base plate and rack. The box they had OK but when they tried to fit the (presumably generic) rack it didn't fit. The lugs on both the end and both sides were too short so the rack wasn't held high enough. The two 'arms' were a bit too wide apart at the end too.

So. Then I went to the main Honda dealer about 15 minutes away in Kaeo Nawarat Rd and bought a rack from them after explaining at length in that it was for a 2015 Click 125i and asking were they absolutely SURE it would fit. 100% sure sir, 600 baht. Sadly nobody there who was free who could fit it and I didn't have tools with me to try myself, having not expected this to turn into a major military exercise.

Back to Helmets to Home. Guy tries to fit it. Cannot!!! Lugs too short again!!!! Better than the last one, but not the right fit.

Back to the Honda place AGAIN to explain. No alternative available so got a refund. Told them that being a Honda dealer they should be SURE what they are selling is right. Not just hope / guess. Guess that will have an effect on their stocking policy. Not.

After this fiasco I'd really had enough of the whole f top box idea for today and certainly couldn't be asked to drive round CM for hours trying random shops for badly fitting generic brackets.

So I need to either find a place that stocks genuine Givi brackets CORRECTLY designed for a Click or order from BKK, asking them to try it on a Click before they send it AND give me a email guarantee it will fit so I can send it back for refund if it doesn't. Not a good day at all!!! The Honda Click might be one of the most popular scoots in LOS, clearly buying top boxes for them less popular.

Any ideas on where might have them? I did contemplate a Coocase box but only read the one thread that mentions them here. Might be OK in general but there seemed just way too many problems for me to risk it. Especially when they are more expensive than Givi.

I also thought about just ordering from Panda Rider or whatever, simply to save the hassle but after today's shambles I'm not to keen on buying a rack unseen and untried again.

Edited by SooKee

I don't know where 'Helmets 2 Home' is, but I bought my Givi top case and rack for a Honda Click 125i from the shop on Sri Donchai Road, diagonally opposite Suruwan Bookstore. The case is large enough for one full-face with plenty of room for a rain suit, bungy cords, and all the other assorted junk that collects in a top case.

18.781264, 98.996997

Edited by FolkGuitar

Normally he knows whats in stock in both places and if he hasnt got it then he will get someone over to his wifes shop pronto if its there.

He also has a handyman/mechanic close by to help with awkward fittings. Im surprised that he couldnt provide on this occassion, but sometimes he does finally admit defeat....which is a cool thing to see esp in a Thai.

I cant think of anywhere else that may stock them, normally the Honda shop on Nawarat Rd is pretty good too....hopefully you went to the parts shop and not the dealership? The parts shop is just past the dealership and on the same side. But it can be a bit hit or miss as to if they have them in stock.

Weird one

H2H in the past tried to weld on a bracket to my existing grab bars when there was no way of getting a bracket to fit. Didn't work, the grab bar on a Sonic is made of aluminium and the bracket steel.

Have you tried the place on Chiang Moi road? Parts dealer, also sell the boxes.

H2H in the past tried to weld on a bracket to my existing grab bars when there was no way of getting a bracket to fit. Didn't work, the grab bar on a Sonic is made of aluminium and the bracket steel.

Right side of the road when headed towards Warrarote?

I bought a box from them three years ago. Looked nice, seemed OK despite not being a name brand.

Lasted amost three months... First the lock turned fiddly, then a week later it separated from the box itself. I continued to use it, holding it closed with a bungy cord, but two weeks later the hinge broke. That's when I went looking for a Givi box.

Cheers folks. Yah very strange. It was the parts place I tried, just after the dealership when the dealer is on your right. The problem with the racks that we tried at H2H yesterday is that in both cases, their stock and the Honda dealer supplied one, the tubes that stick out the end of the two 'legs' that you pass the bolt through to attach to the bike frame are about 1-2 cm too short so they are not long enough to reach the base plate on the Click before the rack legs contact the frame. I suppose I could get some extension tube welded on to each leg but at 1cm long won't be easy and more of a PITA than just buying a rack that fits. Damn nuisance TBH. Hard to believe too, given the popularity of the Click, that finding a top box rack to fit it is so hard. Not like it's a brand new design or something.

Edited by SooKee

I think that's the case. I think the model redesign came about either 2015 or 2014. Not much of one I think, but the revamp makes the rear end just enough out so the racks don't fit. It's only out by a little. But too much, and in the wrong places, to make the current racks a no go :(

Edited by SooKee

I'll give that a try tomorrow. Will stick to Givi boxes but if I can get a rack from them it'd be a result. Actually looking for a few as we have 2 Clicks here and couple of buddies after racks too.

Edited by SooKee

Thanks. Took a look at those on line. The two on the right have the wrong fitting. One on the left looks suspiciously like the one I bought from Honda here. Looks like there has been some minor bike frame change that the rack manufacturers haven't caught up with.

• 2 months later...

Thanks. Took a look at those on line. The two on the right have the wrong fitting. One on the left looks suspiciously like the one I bought from Honda here. Looks like there has been some minor bike frame change that the rack manufacturers haven't caught up with.

Did you ever find a top box rack for your Click?

I'm in Bangkok, looking for one now, for my 2016 Click. I know a guy who does custom work, who says he can strengthen my support frame and modify a rack to fit, that will be very strong, but I'm researching my options, for the strongest and stablest rack available.

Edited by SkyRider

I use two bungee cords and carry two extra on long trips, 40 baht total, replace every 3-5 years. Worked well for 30 years, nothing lost.

2 bungee cords, attached to the box and bike, to help secure the box onto the bike?

No. Sadly all the racks I came across never did quite fit. Only thing I can think of is trying the Coocase brand and see how their racks go. For now I've given up though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you considered having Daeng's shop modify the rack you can find that's closest? His shop does amazing body work and customization for bikes, cars and trucks. He's a genius with aluminum and steel. I'll bet he could modify your rack in a day or two. He could simply weld on brackets to the existing rack, moving the mounting holes where you need them.

His shop is just off Mahidol Road. Coming towards Airport Plaza from the east, you turn left down the soi just before the 'flyover' and service lane split. His is the very large (5-8 bay) garage on the left side as you go down the soi.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Oh thanks. Good idea. I'll look into out in the next week or so.

Re bungee cords. Problem with the Click is there isn't really anywhere to attach them easily. You can use the hooks near the passenger foot pegs but they are really far forward and that makes the cord sit well across what you're trying to secure, it's never pulling the item down onto the seat. More forward. Of course there's ways round it. Loop round the grab rail etc but it's still far from ideal and there's still nowhere to attach the hooks. The bike would definitely benefit from there being some anchor points.

Edited by SooKee

No. Sadly all the racks I came across never did quite fit. Only thing I can think of is trying the Coocase brand and see how their racks go. For now I've given up though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you considered having Daeng's shop modify the rack you can find that's closest? His shop does amazing body work and customization for bikes, cars and trucks. He's a genius with aluminum and steel. I'll bet he could modify your rack in a day or two. He could simply weld on brackets to the existing rack, moving the mounting holes where you need them.

His shop is just off Mahidol Road. Coming towards Airport Plaza from the east, you turn left down the soi just before the 'flyover' and service lane split. His is the very large (5-8 bay) garage on the left side as you go down the soi.

Yes Dang could do it. He has another shop if it would be more convenient to get to.

Go down ChangKlan road, about 20 meters past the Pantip Plaza intersection take the fork to the right going past Georgio restaurant, great food. At the first traffic light turn right, his shop is on the right about 100+ meters up the road, easy to spot it with a lot of car/truck related stuff visable, if you come to a small bridge over a canal and a T intersection you have past it by 50 meters.

• 7 months later...
On 16/04/2016 at 8:50 PM, FolkGuitar said:

Great tip, thanks. I had a box from an older Click, he made a new rack. He first said 2 days, but it was done in 3 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

What amazes me is that there is still seemingly no rack made for the 2015 Click that will fit it by default, either from Honda or the likes of Givi.  Not like the Click is some niche product and as we get ready to enter 2017 it's nearly 2 years old.  It'll be something I look at more closely when the time comes to change it.  Either I buy it it with a fitted rack or no sale.

I own 3 Givi top boxes. All are mounted on a standard steel rack made for the particular bike model. The Givi box comes with a plastic plate, and all the hardware, to attach said plate to the steel luggage rack. The top box then attaches to the mounting plate, and locks with a key. Insert key, push button, remove box. Installation is the reverse.

On 17/04/2016 at 8:18 AM, Dante99 said:

Yes Dang could do it. He has another shop if it would be more convenient to get to.

Go down ChangKlan road, about 20 meters past the Pantip Plaza intersection take the fork to the right going past Georgio restaurant, great food. At the first traffic light turn right, his shop is on the right about 100+ meters up the road, easy to spot it with a lot of car/truck related stuff visable, if you come to a small bridge over a canal and a T intersection you have past it by 50 meters.

I will check this place out i live around the corner

i go past every day

i have a 2016 Model Honda Click

plus i have a contact in San Kankanpaeng who fits boxes

Obviously he has then Taylor made

to fit the models

but have not seen one yet

23 hours ago, Bill97 said:

I agree, it is much more fun to piss and moan than it would be to go have Dang make what you need as he has for others.

I'd rather have a decent manufactured rack than a hack.  Don't really give a toss about your opinion TBH, the day I feel the need to seek approval from some random internet nobody on TV will be the day I top myself.  But this is TV so have to expect comments like yours from time to time.  Most folks with nothing of value to add would simply move on.  And then there's folks like you.  Ignore list.

Anyone who classes commenting that there are no manufactured racks available as pissing and moaning needs to take a serious look at their own personality.

There you go again. Jumping to conclusions. The comments about hack refer to not wanting any DIY option. But, as ever, couldn't give a toss about your views, not seeking the approval of some random internet nobody, never have, never will. Failure to add you to the ignore list remedied now.

Posted using Tapatalk