Border Dispute with Thais Flares in Pailin

geovalin

Khmer Times/May Titthara

A resident of Boyakha commune in Pailin said about 20 Thai soldiers stopped her and other farmers from planting crops on their land earlier this month, telling them it was part of a so-called “white zone,” or demilitarized area, considered to be neither on Cambodian nor Thai soil, and she has received no assistance from Cambodian officials to resume farming. Hean Sokhom said the soldiers forbade her from farming on three hectares of land she has been planting corn and cassava on since 2008. “In the past, Thai soldiers helped me plant cassava on this land. I urge the government to find a solution regarding this land dispute as soon as possible so I can grow crops in order to support my family,” Ms. Sokhom said.

She said Thai soldiers told her that a decision about the land’s ownership had not yet been made, and that she must stay off it until Thai and Cambodian officials assess which side of the border the land is on. “I told the Thai soldiers that I will still continue to grow my crops on this land because I need to support my family,” Ms. Sokhom said. Cambodian police officers visited her after she complained about the incident and asked her about ownership of the farmland, she said. She added that she thought they would assist her, but says she had heard nothing from them since. “Police asked me to keep silent. They said they will help me solve this problem. But I don’t know when the problem will be solved and I need to grow my crops,” Ms. Sokhom added.

read more: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/21223/border-dispute-flares-in-pailin/