What government agency checks "correct" software on company computers?

bkkheat

If you have concerns that your organisation is using Microsoft Products you can contact Microsoft. If Adobe contact them. They will add them to their huge database and occasionaly arange for a joint visit by a copyright protecdtion agency and the police.

Otherwise go with the flo and ignore it.

http://stop.in.th/en/news_dt.asp?id=38

Police raided 48 companies over the past two months, finding unlicensed software worth 67.5 million baht. The 48 companies had an average annual revenue of 188.5 million baht. The largest of the companies raided had recorded an annual revenue of 3.9 billion baht last year.

Of the 48 raids, the most significant was a manufacturer of iron and steel that had employed 78 staff using PCs with unlicensed Autodesk, Microsoft and Thai software. The company shareholders were found to have been of Thai, Singaporean, Taiwanese, Japanese, Malaysian and Chinese origin

Those who report the use of unlicensed software by calling 02-714-1010 or by reporting it online are eligible to receive an award of up to 250,000 Thai Baht. The identity of the caller is protected. More information is available online at www.stop.in.th.

Edited by harrry

I went to a Microsoft developer thing in Perth once. It was considered quite a joke that the 50 baht copy of Visual studio that one of them bought in Bangkok (together with a few other goodies) was the latest beta that they were working on.,....

But they were developers......

you would not get the same reaction at a Systems thing...

Edited by harrry

In addition to the police, you can also expect visits from the BSA & ATSI. The BSA is the one with the real clout.

Business Software Alliance (BSA)
Association of Thai Software Industry (ATSI)
As far as businesses go, they take this very seriously with fines into the millions of baht depending on the scale of the infringements. And that is just for SME's.
Not to be taken lightly..........................thumbsup.gif

​Serious business though. I know of a company where the uniformed boys arrived with a warrant and went straight to one department (they had been a couple of years before, but no computers that time) and started checking programs. In the end they confiscated 8 and the "fine" or suggested payment was 3.9 million baht or there abouts.

Another big company I know of was fined nearly 10 million.

So you have a PC/notebook with an activated version of Windows 10.

How do you determine whether it is "pirated" or not?

I bet you can't. Neither any govt authority in Thailand.

Any Thai written software (POS etc.) is another story.

Actually it can easily be done by installing Windows updates.

Win 10 will complain about non-genuine software.

Really? How does it complain?

using Windows update will de-activate non genuine copies. then there will be a popup "activate windows" with a link to the shop

Edited by manarak

For anyone who wants cheap Windows licenses, win 7 pro licenses are currently litterally given away for around 15 USD. these licenses give a free upgrade to win 10 pro.

I am in. Where at? PM is you wish.

Tks.

Ebay

I get mine from www.ricardo.ch

using Windows update will de-activate non genuine copies. then there will be a popup "activate windows" with a link to the shop

Utter rubbish, Sir! "de-activate" my foot! Don't believe all the FUD from Microsoft. MS is not your friend.

I have personally, as a research in the name of computer science only mind you, upgraded several non-genuine Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. All upgraded and registered with MS. As a result there are several previously non-genuine Windows 7 boxes that now are fully legitimate and licensed Windows 10. The updates have been run for several months now and I have yet to see popup "activate windows".

So all the government has to do is to upgrade to Windows 10. The problem here is not the OS, but all the other programs that they might use. Some will not run on Windows 10 and will have to be upgraded to latest version, most probably non-genuine, as usual.

And then, there is a question of all those Windows XP still out there on the government desktops.