Renew Passport and extend visa?

Hi,

I have around 6/7 weeks left on my visa. The UK embassy has told me it will be a 4 week turnaround. That leaves small margin for error.

Does anyone know if once I have done the application for a new passport I will be allowed to use my existing passport to do a 30 day extention of stay at the local immigration.

Thanks

I re-newed my passport in December, from the day of my appointment at Trendy House, it was a 13 day turn around, delivered to my door. Its easy to get it delivered to your home, just phone DHL, at their distribution centre, and give them your address, and your delivery number. It is far quicker than waiting for it to go back to Trendy, then getting an appointment to go get it. You should have plenty of time to get the new passport. I had less than 7 weeks before my extension, did it with a month to spare....

Edited by Ghostnigel

You will be able to get the extension in your old passport if your new one has not been received in time to do it.

Not doubting your experience and knowledge here, but that may be correct with UK passports, but i can guarantee that is not the case with all countries, i have experienced this with my Aus passport, when applying at the Embassy they took my old passport and cut of part of the passport rendering it useless and they informed me that i had no passport till the new one came in the mail. They did however make a photo copy of the old one, stamped it with Embassy logo. almost making it a legal document.

Edited by Ron CM

You better check this out...years ago I had a new passport issued in BKK (UK) the staff where very helpfull and told me to go straght to Thai Imm to have the thai visa transfered...but that was as i say a while ago and things change....

Does anybody know btw that you can go on a trip to Cambodia while you are waiting for the new passport to come?

Any risks involved?

If you are asking about a UK passport it is cancelled in their database as soon a your application is received in the UK. The advise is that it is not valid for international travel but can be used here in the country.

Other countries may not cancel the passport until the new one is received.

Does anybody know btw that you can go on a trip to Cambodia while you are waiting for the new passport to come?

Any risks involved?

If you are asking about a UK passport it is cancelled in their database as soon a your application is received in the UK. The advise is that it is not valid for international travel but can be used here in the country.

Other countries may not cancel the passport until the new one is received.

Any risks involved crossing the border to Cambodia meanwhile?