Meter taken away for 70 baht unpaid bill..

Satcommlee

A post with potentially lethal advice removed.

It is always wise to ensure any ongoing bills get paid whilst you are away, the MEA / PEA are quite enthusiastic about preventing further debt being accrued on delinquent accounts.

Why not set up a direct debit from your bank for electricity and water?

I just had a similar thing happen. I paid a bill online for over 20,000 baht, and instead of paying xx,x71 baht I made a typo and paid xx,x17 baht. So 54 baht short.

Considering the bills are always paid promptly and the MEA has a 40,000 baht deposit from us, I would have thought they would have added it to the next bill.

Instead, someone came round and said they were going to disconnect the meter because of the partly unpaid bill.

It worked I suppose. We paid up pretty sharp.

A post with potentially lethal advice removed.

It is always wise to ensure any ongoing bills get paid whilst you are away, the MEA / PEA are quite enthusiastic about preventing further debt being accrued on delinquent accounts.

Why not set up a direct debit from your bank for electricity and water?

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that PEA sends a bill EVERY month. In fact the due date is the same very month as well.

Maybe the OP forgot he had a second house?

i got cut off for 104baht. id just arrived back to thailand and was in the juristic office paying the bill when the pea man arrived to cut me off. he wouldnt accept the payment there n then but went up to the 20th floor and cut off the electric. 20 minutes later he came back down. i asked how much to reconnect it.......105baht! another 20mins later and 209baht and it was back on. oh hum,tit.

my neighbor had his meter taken months ago, since than he is running a two core cable from the supply of next doors - unoccupied - property to power up his home. he seems to have got away with it since june 2015...

not suggesting you should do the same wink.png

the best thing about it is that it crosses a public pathway so he has propped the cable up on bamboo sticks and an old iron gate. it is in full view of everyone passing through.

my neighbor had his meter taken months ago, since than he is running a two core cable from the supply of next doors - unoccupied - property to power up his home. he seems to have got away with it since june 2015...

the best thing about it is that it crosses a public pathway so he has propped the cable up on bamboo sticks and an old iron gate. it is in full view of everyone passing through.

I wonder why the unoccupied place still has power, someone paying the bill perhaps.

The problem with theft (and it is theft) is that eventually things catch up with you and a world of hurt ensues.

My wife has a house in Bangkok and the water bill, which is very small, was paid by direct debit. However, there was a mistake at the bank and the bill was not paid. After the unpaid bill reached just a couple of hundred baht, the water company removed the meter without warning, and my wife had to pay for it to be returned. This happened a couple of months ago, and the bank has offered no apology or explanation for the cancellation of the direct debit. I suppose that we should be grateful that the sums involved are so small, but the behavior of the water and electricity companies is very poor.

My wife has a house in Bangkok and the water bill, which is very small, was paid by direct debit. However, there was a mistake at the bank and the bill was not paid. After the unpaid bill reached just a couple of hundred baht, the water company removed the meter without warning, and my wife had to pay for it to be returned. This happened a couple of months ago, and the bank has offered no apology or explanation for the cancellation of the direct debit. I suppose that we should be grateful that the sums involved are so small, but the behavior of the water and electricity companies is very poor.

No, you should be looking for a new bank, or at a minimum pay for SMS notification when debits are made if you don't monitor your bank balances

Yup, it's all fun and games until someone gets electrocuted!

Archived