Could Thailand become the world's hub for medical tourism?

webfact

My wife received a phone call after midnight a few years ago, her uncle was in hospital on life support. We dressed quickly and went to see him for the last time. While my wife was in with her family I sat in the filthy waiting room, a dead cockroach belly up, on the floor. I remember thinking that I would much rather die at home.

Spend time in just about any hospital in the United States and you will come to the same conclusion even without the cockroaches; cockroaches just being the reality of living in the tropics.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not. Makes for good BS news. Thailand already is proposed HUB for dozens of various industries of which none or nothing has materialized.

Hub of ladyboys? violence? rage? shooting? qualified police? just judges

Edited by sweatalot

• 5 months later...

The Land of Smiles can actually be considered as one of the leading medical (or dental) tourism hub as it is a favorite destination spot from people all over the world who are looking for an amazing vacation holiday. For years now, Thailand's very own tropical paradise Phuket Island is home to world-class cosmetic surgeons who've undergone both studies and training in western countries. And just recently, Malo Clinic, the world leader in implant dentistry and dental aesthetics has partnered with a large dental group with clinics both in Bangkok and in Phuket. Suffice to say, Thailand may be on its way to becoming a hub for world-class medical and dental tourism.

• 11 months later...

Possibly. Been to Thailand 4 times, two of which were dental holidays. Got my dental implants at Thantakit Dental in Bangkok and I could say that the quality is superb. The best part is that I was able to only spend a fraction of the cost of the pricing that was given to me in the US. They assisted me during my dental holiday planning too. As long as I'm able to save $$$ for excellent dental treatment, then I'm happy. They are in charge of the Qantas pilots' dental needs so I can personally vouch for their topnotch service.

How many HUBS is Thailand going to become?

Last week I read about it becoming a maintenance hub

Now a medical hub

Next thing it will be a hub for teaching English

And of course it's already a hub for something I won't mention

On 8/5/2016 at 4:18 PM, oswald18 said:

The Land of Smiles can actually be considered as one of the leading medical (or dental) tourism hub as it is a favorite destination spot from people all over the world who are looking for an amazing vacation holiday. For years now, Thailand's very own tropical paradise Phuket Island is home to world-class cosmetic surgeons who've undergone both studies and training in western countries. And just recently, Malo Clinic, the world leader in implant dentistry and dental aesthetics has partnered with a large dental group with clinics both in Bangkok and in Phuket. Suffice to say, Thailand may be on its way to becoming a hub for world-class medical and dental tourism.

And which hospital do you practice in Doctor?:smile:

On 8/5/2016 at 4:18 PM, oswald18 said:

Perhaps so, however my opinion a few things could change for the better before that happens.........

For example I had to undergo a minor operation at a major hospital here in Phuket, although it did need a general anaesthetic, and whilst I was laying being prepped I took a look around the operating theatre and was surprised to see duct tape holding up various pieces of ceiling and vents, along with poorly applied silicone and plenty of places where dust and whatever could lurk – – it was not anything like I had imagined an operating theatre should be.

As a result of that operation and quite possibly hospital-acquired, I ended up getting the antibiotic resistant E. coli bacteria which proved horrendously difficult to eradicate, not to mention expensive with daily visits to the hospital for IV antibiotics treatment.

According to a doctor who is a family friend, Phuket has a high incidence of this particular dangerous and antibiotic resistant bacteria...... so the choice is yours!