I want to tutor O-Net or GAT Math...

bangmai

Would this be possible for an English speaker. It looks like they take O-Net in P-6, M3, M-6...but it also appears that far fewer take it in M6, is that because many drop out of high school, or the M6 students take the GAT if they are college bound. Or do the college bound take O-Net, GAT and PAT....is any of it in English besides EFL? If it is all in Thai..do any of the cram schools prep students for this? I always see IELTS or TOEIC, and even SAT....but don't recall about O-net etc...I know the "Satit" at CMU has a billboard out front, showing their O-Net scores, so as always, the test scores are an excellent marketing tool for the schools, and even real estate agents in America...

http://www.niets.or.th/upload-files/uploadfile/5/5113f2fc40d9b7ccbf26972226c1a536.pdf

Edited by bangmai

The tests are a Thai test so I don't see any practical use in studying the content in English. There are many cram schools and private Thai teachers who make a living prepping students for these tests.

For native English speakers, IELTS, TOEFL, SAT prep is usually the standard choices.

Yes, unless you can read the Thai, especially word problems, it would be difficult. I don't see much benefit for Thai students from normal schools. However, there may be a market in english / bilingual programs where these kids learn all subjects in english. Th problem is that most foreign teachers working in those schools do not specifically teach for those exams - we usually have our own materials that don't necessarily align with those exams.

Curriculum not aligned with tests results in lower scores...it can often mean less money in many different ways.

True, but there are also major issues with transfer, especially in subjects like science. many kids learning only in english have major problems doing similar work in Thai, as they are unfamiliar with the vocabulary.