Crocodile Alert As Reptiles Escape Illegal Farms In Flood Zones

george

Crocodile alert as reptiles escape illegal farms in flood zones

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Department of Fisheries Sunday warned that crocodiles bred in illegal reptile farms have been escaping from their confinement due to the floods encompassing much of the central provinces, and that the animals --unused to a natural environment -- may look for food in all the wrong places.

An undetermined number of crocodile farms, both legal and illegal, are located in the flood-ravaged central provinces, which have been battered by severe floods this year.

The escaped reptiles are likely to approach humans because they are used to being fed by farm raisers, according to Fisheries Department director-general Charanthada Kannasut.

The director-general suggested that villagers not walk or travel by boat in flooded areas at night in order to avoid from being attacked by hungry crocodiles.

The difficulty in seeing crocodiles, though, is that their nose and eyes are visible only slightly above water, he said. At night they might not be noticed at all.

Members of the public who see crocodiles at large should inform the authorities immediately, Mr. Charanthada advised.

Crocodiles raised by legal farms have been moved to safe areas from the floods which are now ravaging several of Thailand's central provinces but the public, especially residents living near waterways, should be on alert for crocodiles that have escaped from illegal reptile farms, Mr. Charanthada said.

Mr. Charanthada said that crocodiles from legal farms have been relocated and are now being kept in safe areas. Meanwhile, he warned, an undetermined number of crocodiles from unregistered crocodile farms have escaped from inundated farms and are still roaming free in canals and rivers.

--TNA 2006-10-23

Warning to flood victims: Beware of crocodiles on the loose

BANGKOK: -- Residents in floodhit areas have been warned to watch out for hungry crocodiles escaped from unregistered farms.

The Fisheries Department worries that crocodiles bred at unregistered reptile hatcheries have been washed out of their enclosures by floodwaters.

Because they are not used to the "wild", the crocodiles might be hungry and in search of food in "all the wrong places", it said Sunday.

Floods have affected many of the Central provinces and the department said an "undetermined number" of both registered and unregistered crocodile farms were located in these areas.

Department director general Charanthada Kannasut added that the crocodiles would approach humans because they are used to being fed by keepers.

He advised residents to avoid walking or travelling by boat in flooded areas at night, when crocodiles are especially difficult to spot.

People have been asked to report any crocodile sightings to the department or local authorities immediately.

The department said licensed farms had relocated their stock to safe areas, but there was a risk crocodiles had escaped from unregistered farms and were living in flooded canals and rivers.

-- The Nation 2006-10-23

He advised residents to avoid walking or travelling by boat in flooded areas at night, when crocodiles are especially difficult to spot.

People have been asked to report any crocodile sightings to the department or local authorities immediately.

I think the crocodiles probably have more to fear from the hungry humans! Haven't you ever noticed the complete lack of wildlife in LOS?! :o

Edited by sabai-dee-man

I think the crocodiles probably have more to fear from the hungry humans! Haven't you ever noticed the complete lack of wildlife in LOS?! :D

:o Back in the middle 90's there was a big flood around Samut Prakan. Over the few days the stray dog population deminished rapidly.

:D

I think the crocodiles probably have more to fear from the hungry humans! Haven't you ever noticed the complete lack of wildlife in LOS?! :o

Indeed even a cockroach is not safe in Thailand, and will be consumed. I never ever saw even one single Duck in the wild, so the crocodiles will be hungry. Maybe they can get even.

The topic seems to be quite new, so there is still some hope of getting some value adding comments on it.

For those who haven't seen any ducks in free nature and other animals, I would suggest they go at least to the border of the city if it's not too much asked. Thailand has plenty of animals. Some of them nice to see, some others I'd wished to see them at a bit more distance - various kinds of snakes. Two in the house, a few others around it. Again, just at the border of the city. And ducks "at work". post-27342-1161582938_thumb.jpgpost-27342-1161582812_thumb.jpg

Very progressive! After years of Asian Crocs being extinct in the wilds of Thailand, the new government can now announce with pride that thanks to a highly scientific breeding and release program this species has been reintroduced into it’s native habitat (on Rama 5 Drive by the Sizzler). Better still, they did it all without help from CRES (The Center for Reproduction of Endangered Species). Heck, the program may even qualify for some non-profit funding. Under Taskin the crocs would have just been lightly sautéed and served over a slab of giraffe at the Night Safari. That is progress.

Indeed even a cockroach is not safe in Thailand, and will be consumed. I never ever saw even one single Duck in the wild, so the crocodiles will be hungry. Maybe they can get even.

"Never Seen Ducks in Wild Thailand"

I live in Phuket and only yesterday riding along the road from Tesco Lotus to Kathu I saw a Wild Female Duck with a brood of about 6 ducklings on the side of the road..

Saw somthing in my garden, about a meter long, looked like a Monitor Lizard, not sure.

I must admit the first time I saw a very large monitor lizard near a Bangkok lake I thought it was a croc (it was walking away from me)from behind they look similar.

I think the crocodiles probably have more to fear from the hungry humans! Haven't you ever noticed the complete lack of wildlife in LOS?! :D

when it rains the wifes brothers and friends are all out at night wit flash lights frog hunting. and the catch is small for the amount of time spent,

however with crocs, well that'll feed the family for a while :o

just a little more difficult to catch than a frog :D

crocs eat wildlife aswell! also, there is plenty of wildlife up here!!!!!!