Regarding drug laws in Thailand.

Lukecan

He can probably pay his way out, if he wants to do it make sure he brings plenty of "get out of jail" free cards with him............but again really he'd be a pratt to do it.

Im not talking about doing it in Thailand, Im talking about doing it in Europe and coming to Thailand. Since it stays in the system for a month or so, what if they piss test him while he is at the airport randomly. Im wondering the consequence for this.

The consequences are the same as if he smoked it here.

He can probably pay his way out, if he wants to do it make sure he brings plenty of "get out of jail" free cards with him............but again really he'd be a pratt to do it.

Im not talking about doing it in Thailand, Im talking about doing it in Europe and coming to Thailand. Since it stays in the system for a month or so, what if they piss test him while he is at the airport randomly. Im wondering the consequence for this.

If he tests positive for drugs then he will be charged for using illegal drugs according even if no drugs are found on him.

He should not visit Thailand until his system is clear of drugs. If he can`t do that then it`s up to chance. Not sure of the exact law but the penalties are harsh, that`s all you need to know.

So half the farangs who come here probably shouldn't?

Your advice is good advice.

I too was marijuana smoker with a prescription to grow and consume it legally in America.

But, before I lived in Thailand full time, I would stop smoking pot for three weeks before leaving for a visit to Thailand, to be sure thee was none in my system if I were to be drug tested in Thailand.

Since I have moved to Thailand, I have not touched it.

Unlike America, drug laws in Thailand are very harsh, even for marijuana and it is not worth the risk.

It is rather ironic that the U.S. DEA was responsible for Thailand adopting such stringent drug laws and now that attitudes have changen and Marijuana is all but legal in America, Thailand is still very stringent.

There is a pretty good movie with Nicol Kidman called The Bangkok Hilton, it will give you a good idea of how strict they are about foreigners and drugs in Thailand.

Many seem to forget that when they leave their home country and come to Thailand, they do not bring their rights from their home country with them.

They don't fit into your luggage!

Very unlikely he would be tested on entry.

Your advise to not come here is very good, however if he does you should probably over

dramatize the possible consequences and really make him fear smoking pot out here.

He will probably end up smoking pot at the full moon party anyway as so many people do.

The biggest danger is when buying the drugs as many will grass him up to the police.

As a last resort make sure he has enough cash on him to pay "immediate fines" these costs

will escalate significantly if he is arrested so you need to deal with the situation there and then.

Pure insanity.

Stop the hysteria.

In 20 years I have never seen or experienced a single soul test positive for marijuana in the kingdom and there should have been plenty.

I include myself. I was tested 3 times under purachai's night life clampdown, and most certainly would have shown positive had the test been intended to detect canibinoids.

It is my belief that even opiods are left out of the quickie test's range of detection, instead it focuses on amphetamine and it's derivative for that simple reason that it is most likely to be present in trace amounts a number of other drugs like cocaine or even locally available ecstasy in which it is used to cheaply bolster the effect of an inferior product.

From a logical standpoint it doesn't make much sense either. Why wouldn't the police use this remarkable loophole to clean the streets of persons of interest who have committed any number of other crimes if a simple test were enough to convict -- just like the US used RICO to get at drug dealers through their money when they could not catch them red handed with drugs?

To each their own, but I wouldn't alter my plans, nor suggest anyone else do so on the basis of the miniscule possibility you may need to pee in a cup. There are far better odds that something else will go wrong, just read the pattaya and phuket papers, where you will notice that there are no stories about people being charged for the results of a blood test.

You are far more likely to have drugs planted on you (and even that is a reach) and no amount of clean living will help you in that instance.

Pure insanity.

Stop the hysteria.

In 20 years I have never seen or experienced a single soul test positive for marijuana in the kingdom and there should have been plenty.

I include myself. I was tested 3 times under purachai's night life clampdown, and most certainly would have shown positive had the test been intended to detect canibinoids.

It is my belief that even opiods are left out of the quickie test's range of detection, instead it focuses on amphetamine and it's derivative for that simple reason that it is most likely to be present in trace amounts a number of other drugs like cocaine or even locally available ecstasy in which it is used to cheaply bolster the effect of an inferior product.

From a logical standpoint it doesn't make much sense either. Why wouldn't the police use this remarkable loophole to clean the streets of persons of interest who have committed any number of other crimes if a simple test were enough to convict -- just like the US used RICO to get at drug dealers through their money when they could not catch them red handed with drugs?

To each their own, but I wouldn't alter my plans, nor suggest anyone else do so on the basis of the miniscule possibility you may need to pee in a cup. There are far better odds that something else will go wrong, just read the pattaya and phuket papers, where you will notice that there are no stories about people being charged for the results of a blood test.

You are far more likely to have drugs planted on you (and even that is a reach) and no amount of clean living will help you in that instance.

I too have never been urine tested in Thailand for drugs. What type of test the RTP use when urine testing I have no idea, but when I was tested in Aust. they used tests cards similar to these which DO test for cannabis...

http://www.drugtestsuccess.com/drug-tests/5-panel-drug-test-doa-254

Whilst I agree with you that the chances of him being tested are small, the person concerned has indicated he wishes to attend 'full moon' parties. We all know these events attract the attention of the drug police, so it would be very unwise to be tested and have drugs in your system.

Me3, never been tested never even talked to a Thai policeman, might be the clean living I lead, easy to stay under the radar when u don't go to the seedy parts of town and hang around with rif raf

Edited by AlexRRR

Ok tell yer mate bring his gear with him and smoke it going thru the airport, he'll be just fine, Thais are all friendly and smiling....you have all the answers you need now from 1 its fine 2 youll be locked up for life

-snip-

Unlike America, drug laws in Thailand are very harsh, even for marijuana and it is not worth the risk.

It is rather ironic that the U.S. DEA was responsible for Thailand adopting such stringent drug laws and now that attitudes have changen and Marijuana is all but legal in America, Thailand is still very stringent.

What's interesting is that the Feds haven't changed the laws and what's legal in some states is still fully a federal offense. For some reason the feds don't enforce it, but everyone knows it's against federal law. There are stores that sell openly for recreational use within 1 mile of me (Oregon, USA) and they are even licensed by and pay taxes to the state. But people still wonder what would happen if the feds dropped the hammer.

-snip-

What's interesting is that the Feds haven't changed the laws and what's legal in some states is still fully a federal offense. For some reason the feds don't enforce it, but everyone knows it's against federal law. There are stores that sell openly for recreational use within 1 mile of me (Oregon, USA) and they are even licensed by and pay taxes to the state. But people still wonder what would happen if the feds dropped the hammer.

I neither know or care about what happens in the USA but anyone , knowing that drug abuse is viewed as a very serious crime in SE Asia, is foolish if they indulge their habit in Thailand or any other SE Asian country.

Life can suddenly become very unpleasant for those who are caught (and they are caught ! )

I am sure the US Embassy in Bangkok would not encourage dope heads to come to Thailand because they cause the embassy staff unnecessary work !