Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport must resolve safety and capacity issues: IATA

webfact

I don't think IATA has any regulatory powers and welcome correction on that point but there are international bodies that do have authority so it's high time they started wielding it as mere words, even threats, have no effect here.

If Thailand ever accepts anything is wrong about a wide range of issues not just aviation the response is a meaningless claim to be doing their best and a request, sometimes demand, for time to deal with things then they do little or nothing until pressure is again exerted and the dance begins again.

I believe your right although they do seem to have a lot of credibility in the industry and coordinate many aspects and provide a platform for the industry to have a common aim...Its not good if they are then coming out with such a strong statement and only a matter of time till the big boys have there say I'm sure. As always would be interesting to know the specification asked for in the construction of the runways...Am sure it won't be up to what it should have been

Let's be realistic. Thailand International Airport SUVARNABHUMI is build in a SWAMP.

Northrop Aircraft Co. offered to build an International airport but required 25-year tax free operation after which the airport would be handed over to Thai Gov. Thailand refused the offer. How I know, I worked for Northrop Aircraft Services, Div. of Northrop Aircraft Co.

Thailand made a serious mistake and should have moved RTAF out of Dong Muong and made it the International airport for Thailand, But the military in or out has more say than the Gov. so the RTAF practically speaking kicked Civil Aviation out of Dong Muong.

SWAMPY as it is called will never be able to stop sinking and CRACKING of course regardless of how much reinforced concrete they're covering it with. The more concrete the more weight the more it will sink. The sinking and cracking was already in process before the airport was officially opened, in other words it sinks under its own weight. Then with heavy aircraft landing and taking off it aggravates the problem. Yes taking off, when all of a sudden some 200 - 300 tons pressure is released it also contributes to cracking. So the problems is coming and going. If Thailand is smart it Must move RTAF out of Dong Muong and make it the Heavy Aircraft International Airport and use Swampy for lighter aircraft local and International traffic. But I do not see were Thailand has wisent up since Northrop made its offer half century ago.

LOL in LOS

Edited by swerver

It's adding up and the world sees, first the airlines and now Swampy and is Swampy is suspect how about the various domestic airports ?

When will all the regulatory bodies waken up and get stuck in especially with a resounding NO to the appeals for deadlines to be extended ?