Living offgrid with small solar system(s)

George Harmony

According to the dutchman his led can burn 20 hours with his setup. If stronger Led(s) can burn 6-7 hours its for me ok. He gave also some of his conaiderations to work with supercapacitors.

I just want to try it. If its true what he claims, how about a setup like pict 2 :)

Ofcourse ive read your comments and i just want to try.

Another thing. Have you ever see a "pendule clock" invented by a dutchman? Its swinhg continiously. Is it not possible to generate electricity?? Perhaps better than other gravity generators.

post-177483-0-69110900-1465262669_thumb.

post-177483-0-34071600-1465262703_thumb.

@jingjoe wrote:

but what kind of anode would be needed for a salt water primary battery..

I was thinking of such a setup:

Pvc water filter housing with inside carbon active filter. Then you already have your membrane. Perhaps drill very small holes in thr housing enabling oxygen come in. Put spiral copper coil in the carbon filter till the bottom. And you have your anode :)

Wrapped the cathode with aluminium sheet (cathode) and put the whole in the water filter pvc housing. You have your cell, 1.2volt and ah is perhaps higher than the commercial versions 40-50ah.

Soon i will try it. Keep you again updated then :)

Ps: Instead of magnesium pict 4 we use carbon

post-177483-0-05719100-1465266694_thumb.

Edited by George Harmony

Here is someone who use not so thick magnesium graphite rods. He achieve with each cell 1.5volt but ah is low.

If the same setup but with carbon water filter as decribed above perhaps ah is much more higher.

post-177483-0-15524100-1465275804_thumb.

Another thing. Have you ever see a "pendule clock" invented by a dutchman? Its swinhg continiously. Is it not possible to generate electricity?? Perhaps better than other gravity generators.

Of course you can't generate power from it. Where does the energy come from?

What is a "gravity generator"?

EDIT is this the Dutch job? http://peswiki.com/index.php/OS:Perpetual_Magnetic_Pendulum_by_George_Delk

Some years ago there was a company in America that was developing a type of supercapacitor for the electric car. The plates inside were nano coated with billions of tiny pillars. This was to increase the surface area of the plates and hence capacitance of the device. It worked very well as a supercapacitor but the company quietly disappeared from the electric vehicle scene. Supercapacitors just do not have the V/I characteristics required for that sort of application. With a capacitor the voltage starts to decay the moment you begin to take current from it. The smaller the load and/or the larger the capacitor the less noticeable this decay is, but it is always going to be there. It is possible to use a voltage regulator connected between the capacitor and the load which will give a constant voltage for some time until the capacitor voltage has decayed to the minimum working voltage of the regulator then the regulator's output voltage will start to decay. The time taken for this is dependant, once again, on the size of the capacitor and the amount of current drawn from it. Also there will be losses within the voltage regulator which will hasten the capacitors discharge.

The name of the American company is EEstor.

EEStor is a company based in Cedar Park, Texas, United States that claims to have developed a capacitor for electricity storage, which EEStor calls the 'Electrical Energy Storage Unit' (EESU).[1] Key to the increased energy density of the device is not improved charge density, but dramatically higher operating voltages. The company claimed that the EESU stored more energy than lithium-ion batteries at a lower cost than lead-acid batteries used in gasoline powered cars. Such a device would revolutionize the electric car industry. Experts always said such claims were far from being realistic, and eventually, in late 2014, these claims have been shown to be over 100 times more than what the technology is actually capable of.

George. Don't be put off by my (and others) comments about supercapacitors. As I said in post 1286 above the power supply capabilities of the capacitor and the load need to be known so that you can get the maximum energy/time for your LED lights. I think your idea was for emergency lighting. If you do your sums right you should be able to plan for outages of several hours.

What is gravity generator.

Let me show you a crazy guy who made one.

What a nuts is this guy.

So, exactly what I said in post #1226 then?

Yes i know. But such kind of clock swing very very long time comparing to that guy with his gravity lamp. I thought if there is a sort of altenator which dont need a lot of power to turn you can have electricity for quite reasonable time.

@muhendis,

I will try many things that can be perhaps usefull for offgrid living.

Till now i think solar system is still the most effective way to be offgrid if you cant use hydropower.

Lets try if wetcells also can be effective additional to solar :) ...perhaps also in combination with supercapacitors which will be charged by saltwater battery :)

And ofcourse also windpower. Wow...keeps me bussy ?

What a nuts is this guy.

Yes i know. But such kind of clock swing very very long time comparing to that guy with his gravity lamp. I thought if there is a sort of altenator which dont need a lot of power to turn you can have electricity for quite reasonable time.

Which part of "You cannot get out more energy than you put in" is unclear?

Yes, a pendulum on knife edges will swing for a long time, because the losses are very small. Extract energy in the form of electricity and it will run down very rapidly.

Read up on potential energy and kinetic energy and work out just how much energy is in a pendulum weight at the top of its swing.

You will be surprised just how little there is.

To Muhendis. Remember the posts about wind generators? I opened my spare single phase noisy Hummer 1kw hub and counted the poles at 56. Supermagnets too.

Yours has 7 phases and I am interested the brand please? Are you 100% happy with it especially the noise and over-speed protection?

My reason to revisit the spare hub is to use on petrol motor when no wind and no sun.

I'm not sure about your question of "what brand". If you are asking about the magnets then they are Neodymium N47 size 50 x 25 x 10mm. The arrangement is two steel disks each with 12 magnets alternate north south poles arranged around the periphery. The magnet discs form a sandwich with the coil assembly between them. There are 14 coils which means that each diametrically opposite pair of coils "sees" a pair of magnets once per revolution so with 14 coils there will be 7 phases per revolution.

If you are asking what brand is the turbine. Well there I can't help you because I built it myself. At the moment it's still in my workshop waiting for that missing ingredient.... Time. It spins well and generates electricity. Over speed protection is to be by furling. As you can imagine, it's quite quiet at the moment.........

What a nuts is this guy.

Yup. You don't get something for nothing.

Use one cent a day from a $100 piggy bank and i lasts ten thousand days. thumbsup.gif

To Muhendis. Remember the posts about wind generators? I opened my spare single phase noisy Hummer 1kw hub and counted the poles at 56. Supermagnets too.

Yours has 7 phases and I am interested the brand please? Are you 100% happy with it especially the noise and over-speed protection?

My reason to revisit the spare hub is to use on petrol motor when no wind and no sun.

I'm not sure about your question of "what brand". If you are asking about the magnets then they are Neodymium N47 size 50 x 25 x 10mm. The arrangement is two steel disks each with 12 magnets alternate north south poles arranged around the periphery. The magnet discs form a sandwich with the coil assembly between them. There are 14 coils which means that each diametrically opposite pair of coils "sees" a pair of magnets once per revolution so with 14 coils there will be 7 phases per revolution.

If you are asking what brand is the turbine. Well there I can't help you because I built it myself. At the moment it's still in my workshop waiting for that missing ingredient.... Time. It spins well and generates electricity. Over speed protection is to be by furling. As you can imagine, it's quite quiet at the moment.........

Sorry M I meant what brand of wind generator.

"M" brand eh. and good on you.

"Time" an important ingredient eh.

I'm trying to imagine quiet weather, the Westerlies are roaring here.

What country are you?

Thanks for your reply.

Now this is a good application for supercaps and makes use of the rapid charge capabilities.

http://laserhacker.com/?p=436

Crank for 10 seconds, get light for 20 minutes or so, seems like sensible (joule-thief like) electronics to get the best out of the supercap.

Bigger capacitor + longer crank time = longer light time.

Now this is a good application for supercaps and makes use of the rapid charge capabilities.

http://laserhacker.com/?p=436

Crank for 10 seconds, get light for 20 minutes or so, seems like sensible (joule-thief like) electronics to get the best out of the supercap.

Bigger capacitor + longer crank time = longer light time.

Indeed a good one. This guy charge capacitors with saltwater battery. If i burn lamps instead of running a motor and charge during the day with small panel, during evening (if necessary) with saltwater battery or by hand i then perhaps have continiously lighting and dont have to worry about weak batteries :)

@muhendis and others prefer strong lighting. Past during lunch a shop and i saw this one. Why not give it a try, about 4 usd only :) ...

If i can run this later with saltwater with or without capacitors...i will be very happy :)

post-177483-0-76262000-1465371653_thumb.

George, that 18W light will use 1.5 Amps @ 12V.

I doubt you'll be able to DIY a salt-water battery to run it for very long sad.png

I would target 3-5W of LED as something which you could achieve and would provide useful light.

George, that 18W light will use 1.5 Amps @ 12V.

I doubt you'll be able to DIY a salt-water battery to run it for very long sad.png

I would target 3-5W of LED as something which you could achieve and would provide useful light.

I think you are right. In my experimments i noticed that after refreshing with saltwater it is like recharged again. Is it not possible to automaticly refesh for example each hour. If i use waterfilters its easy to drip saltwater continiously if i want :) :)

About the amps. As i understood well, the bigger electrodes the higher amps. Also the more copper the higher amps.

Before a japanese company made this. It was not succesfull perhaps of the expensive replacements of the anodes.

Lets find out soon how many amps a (carbon waterfilter) cell can give.

post-177483-0-68999100-1465387106_thumb.

Just wanna share a screenshot of a vid which my brother send me from Holland. According to an article these are the world biggest windturnbines, 12x good for generating 90MW. These monster have a rotordiameter of 127m. ?

http://www.energieoverheid.nl/2014/05/27/flevoland-wekt-meer-energie-op-met-minder-windmolens/

(paper)battery ,2nd pict, when available here i sure will order :).

Just google for "paper battery"

post-177483-0-17464900-1465438903_thumb.

post-177483-0-00554300-1465438913_thumb.

Edited by George Harmony

About that earth/dirth can generate electricity im now convinced. There are workers making a toilet/bathroom behind my terrace and extended the roof with aluminium.

I stick a rest piece into the ground next to the pond and also a copper wire which i stripped out the insulation a little bit. Measure the voltage with a voltmeter of a nabor and get nearly 1volt. Amazing........ Also something to work out for example: Earth battery for some outdoor lighting with low voltage leds :)

post-177483-0-71029200-1465463020_thumb.

OK then George. These are observations about the existence of electricity all around us. You are making some personal discoveries which are interesting on their own but need a supporting theory to explain them. Several of us are probably aware of the chemistry/physics involved. Can you research the subject and come up with a reason for all this (mostly useless) power? You may be interested to know that the human body has many voltage sources (rather like a battery) each suited to its purpose. Please don't stick LEDs into your various body parts to see if they will light up.

@splitlid,

I think i learn a lot of internet. If you are also interested in the possibilities of generating electricity with "dirth" you must see examples of diy or of professionals like the earth lamp i posted b4.

So, if they can , why cant you (or i) do it