Hedge plants English/Latin/Thai names

kd2000

I'm about to decide which plant to use for a hedge but got lost completely on naming and availability here in Thailand Chiang Mai.

So, first of all I would love to get names for:

1) English or Latin Equivalent of Thai name: Thon Khoy

tk1.jpg

tk2.jpg

2) Thai translation of "Privet" (English name) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privet

This was advised by someone on this forum long time ago as very common hedge plant in Thailand.

Beside that maybe someone could provide general advice on plants that are good or not so good and why?

I do consider Banyan tree (Sai Korea), Fukien Tea.

The banyan looks nice but expensive if you want mature plants forming the screen instantly. Also, Im not sure if they would form a perfect square hedge from bottom to top.

Fukien Tea probably long waiting time to form dense screen too.

We have 50 m of house boundaries which needs privacy barrier instantly or fast as the windows are just 3.5 meters from the street and there is no fence/ perimeter wall at all.

What else could I use?

English privet? No. Banyan tree: NO. Anything that grows fast will need trimming three or four times a year. Plenty of choice out here,

Wht don't you go to the plant market in Chiang Mai and ask there? Ixora would be my choice, followed by Bougainvillea (needing a few trimmings per year)..

English privet? No. Banyan tree: NO. Anything that grows fast will need trimming three or four times a year. Plenty of choice out here,

Wht don't you go to the plant market in Chiang Mai and ask there? Ixora would be my choice, followed by Bougainvillea (needing a few trimmings per year)..

Both Ixora and Bougainvillea are awesome but they need time to form a tall screen. I need some visual barrier right away, so I focus on ready, grown plants. Found 2 m. high Ficus Benjamina in online stores today at 200 baht. Other choice would be Ton Khoy but I cant find any info on it in the net.

Archived